Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2019, 09:57 AM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebuild View Post
Hey, one other question I wanted to throw out there.

This whole problem started not long after I had to get towed out of mud by a tractor. At one point, he pulled before I had put it in drive. Could this have damaged anything that could lead to something like this?
We’re you in park? The parking pawl would have broken first.

We’re you in neutral? Then no problem there.

Don’t think that caused this.

I’m thinking shift solenoid.

Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 10:00 AM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Hey, one other question I wanted to throw out there.

This whole problem started not long after I had to get towed out of mud by a tractor. At one point, he pulled before I had put it in drive. Could this have damaged anything that could lead to something like this?

unless mud got into something and is preventing it from working properly
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 10:06 AM   #23
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
Won't have an aod, but an e4od. There won't be a cable, but an fipl sensor on the side of the injection pump that sometimes quits or goes out of adjustment.
BOO-YAH! Glad you knew that. I know a good bit more about GM and the heavier stuff than I do Ford, but thought that might be a shove in the right direction, at least.

Quote:
Personally, I doubt it. But anything's possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
I’m thinking shift solenoid.
Hear, hear!

Wasn't aware Ford was using solenoids back in 91, but if so, a very valid thought. I had a 97 P71 Interceptor that suddenly stopped shifting to overdrive. Sounded nice on the highway, but made it thirsty. I also noticed it didn't seem to have the snap it should from a dead stop.

Come to find out that the 4R70W in that application used a two-sided solenoid pack. One side controlled 1st and OD, the other 2nd and 3rd. Guess which one had quit? Yup, car was taking off in 2nd, shifting to 3rd and that was it. And to make matters worse, if you goosed it, it seemed to slip (car was 5.4 swapped before I got it). Sounds suspiciously similar to what is going on here. Changed fluid / filter / solenoid pack and all was well. Hopefully it's that simple.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 02:32 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON View Post
BOO-YAH! Glad you knew that. I know a good bit more about GM and the heavier stuff than I do Ford, but thought that might be a shove in the right direction, at least.

Personally, I doubt it. But anything's possible.

Hear, hear!

Wasn't aware Ford was using solenoids back in 91, but if so, a very valid thought. I had a 97 P71 Interceptor that suddenly stopped shifting to overdrive. Sounded nice on the highway, but made it thirsty. I also noticed it didn't seem to have the snap it should from a dead stop.

Come to find out that the 4R70W in that application used a two-sided solenoid pack. One side controlled 1st and OD, the other 2nd and 3rd. Guess which one had quit? Yup, car was taking off in 2nd, shifting to 3rd and that was it. And to make matters worse, if you goosed it, it seemed to slip (car was 5.4 swapped before I got it). Sounds suspiciously similar to what is going on here. Changed fluid / filter / solenoid pack and all was well. Hopefully it's that simple.
My 03 GMC work truck has a bad solenoid so I've only got 1st and 3rd!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 02:16 PM   #25
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Lewis
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: 7.3L Diesel
Rated Cap: 14
the diagnosis is in....

They're saying bad cam sensor, but the throttle cable broke during the test drive. Could be both? I found the parts online and they re cheap. Any idea how much is too much for this?
firebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 02:20 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
the diagnosis is in....

They're saying bad cam sensor, but the throttle cable broke during the test drive. Could be both? I found the parts online and they re cheap. Any idea how much is too much for this?
Both of them are items you could replace yourself, so whatever they charge it's going to be too much
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 02:31 PM   #27
Bus Nut

Quote:
Won't have an aod, but an e4od. There won't be a cable, but an fipl sensor on the side of the injection pump that sometimes quits or goes out of adjustment. They have a write up on oil burners about how to test and adjust it if a person is feeling ambitious.

Maybe you should mention that to the tranny shop when you drop it off. I'd hope they would check that as part of their process, but who knows.
Wait, they just told me the throttle cable broke?? I'm confused now.
Old 06-24-2019, 02:32 PM   #28
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Ugh, your engine is definitely not going to have a cam sensor. It will have a tach sensor to read engine rpm. If you have an e4od, it will require that sensor to be functioning. Do you have a tachometer gauge in your instruments on your dashboard?

Kind of odd that the throttle cable broke too, but it's an old vehicle so anything is possible. You need the throttle cable to even move the thing, so that's a necessary repair.

You can try it yourself if you want, but most shops aren't keen on you doing repair work in their parking lot after they give you an estimate. And with the throttle cable broken, you won't be driving it anywhere.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 02:42 PM   #29
Bus Nut

Quote:
Ugh, your engine is definitely not going to have a cam sensor. It will have a tach sensor to read engine rpm. If you have an e4od, it will require that sensor to be functioning. Do you have a tachometer gauge in your instruments on your dashboard?

Kind of odd that the throttle cable broke too, but it's an old vehicle so anything is possible. You need the throttle cable to even move the thing, so that's a necessary repair.

You can try it yourself if you want, but most shops aren't keen on you doing repair work in their parking lot after they give you an estimate. And with the throttle cable broken, you won't be driving it anywhere.
NO tach gauge, no.

I'm thinking possibly the diagnosis was wrong and the real problem WAS the throttle cable all along? I think the diagnosis was based on how it sounded, not opening the hood, because when the guy called me the test driver was still stranded up the road from the broken cable. So maybe that's all it will need, who knows? I think that could cause the symptoms in question all on its own, right? He wasn't 100 percent on the sensor, just giving me a head's up.

But all this parts stuff is making my head spin. I just found an oil burners thread on how to replace the throttle cable on a 7.3 IDI, but I thought you said previously that there is no throttle cable? Unless I misunderstood.

Unless their price is ridiculous I will just have them do the work, because it's there already. If I'd figured this out before it broke, or if it had broken on me and been towed home, I might have given it a go myself but now it doesn't make a lot of sense for me to get into it.
Old 06-24-2019, 02:50 PM   #30
Bus Geek

Well, with an e40d, you'll still have a tach sensor.

Throttle cable is what goes between the pedal and the injection pump on the engine. What I said you didn't have was a tv cable. TV in this case stands for throttle valve, which was a device that was present on certain older transmissions. Yours doesn't have a throttle valve, so it won't have a throttle valve cable, or tv cable.

You'll need to have the throttle cable replaced to get the thing going anyways. So either you can do it, or have them do it. Being that you're crammed in a van chassis, and not knowing what you're doing, I'd have them do it.

After that's repaired, they can then do more diagnostics on it.
Old 06-24-2019, 02:52 PM   #31
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Quote:
the diagnosis is in....

Wow, well good for you! It’s surprising that it would shift at all.

The parts are probably about a hundred bucks. Labor shouldn’t be more than an hour, so my guess is you get out of there for <$200
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 02:52 PM   #32
Bus Geek

Throttle cable is what transmits the motion of the pedal to the engine. That's what makes the engine rev up and down, and without it, you're not going to be able to rev the engine.

As far as your trans issues goes. What did they say about the fipl sensor?
Old 06-24-2019, 03:02 PM   #33
Bus Nut

Quote:
Well, with an e40d, you'll still have a tach sensor.
Ok, thanks for clearing that up. They're definitely saying cam sensor but I guess they're using the worng terminology and the probably re referring the tach sensor. And now I get it about the cable.

I ran it through an online price estimator and came up with a range from $140 to $250 to do both parts. Does that sound right?

Thanks!
Old 06-24-2019, 03:34 PM   #34
Bus Geek

Yeah, pretty close. I'd figure an hour labor and 50-100 for the sensor.
Old 06-24-2019, 03:43 PM   #35
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
the TACH sensor is 30-40 bucks in my area and only about 20 minutes to change on a cool engine. it is near the crankshaft pulley on the passenger side but easy enough.
havent ever done a throttle cable on a van body and it is a little frustrating on some cars so with it broke and at there place you might as well let them replace that but i think you can do the tach sensor yourself if you can get the old one broke loose
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 07:57 PM   #36
Bus Nut

Quote:

As far as your trans issues goes. What did they say about the fipl sensor?
I will know more on this tomorrow but they seem confident this is not a transmission issue.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:01 AM   #37
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
the TACH sensor is 30-40 bucks in my area and only about 20 minutes to change on a cool engine. it is near the crankshaft pulley on the passenger side but easy enough.
havent ever done a throttle cable on a van body and it is a little frustrating on some cars so with it broke and at there place you might as well let them replace that but i think you can do the tach sensor yourself if you can get the old one broke loose
My cost on an idi tach sensor is close to 60 bucks. You can get them cheaper online but you're waiting on shipping then. In a shop, time is money, so I doubt they're ordering it from amazon.

As far as location goes, I'm pretty sure her sensor will be up on top of the engine reading off the injection pump gear. At least that's where I've found it on all other idi ford vehicles. International had it down by the flywheel, but that's not relevant here.

If she want's to try and change it, go for it. But it requires a large wrench and I figured it'd be a pain to do on a van with a short hood.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:16 AM   #38
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
No, not relevant here,
Quote:
... International had it down by the flywheel, but that's not relevant here...
But good gouge for us that have an Inter'l!
A handy little arcane tidbit for the future, thanx! [emoji111]
Old 06-26-2019, 11:25 AM   #39
Bus Nut

So... Just got the estimate. Here goes.

LABOR
Road test/diagnostic/replace cam sensor - 172.89
Replace throttle cable - 230.52

PARTS
cam/crank sensor - 165.41

I bought the throttle cable myself because they were planning to wait 3 days to get it from their supplier and I was able to get one right away, so no charge for that.

total $585.37

Though I'm not super educated about this stuff I have read that it's typical to replace the crankshaft sensor when replacing the cam sensor. It looks like that's what they're planning to do, though I'm confused to see it listed as one part because I don't actually think it is one part. This is about $100 higher than I was expecting. Not much I can do about it though - I am a captive audience at this point.
Old 06-26-2019, 12:29 PM   #40
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Throttle cables are on cars from .... *WAY* back. Still used on many low end cars these days, most modern cars and trucks have switched to "Drive by wire", throttle pedals with sensors in 'em. I've had a throttle cable or 2 fail over the years (one had a tendency to hang on a brand new minivan, should'a had it warranty replaced, but oh well). They're not terribly difficult to replace, shouldn't take more than an hour on many cars - not sure on yours if the doghouse has to come out or not.

A failing cam/crank sensor (some engines have both) can cause all sorts of weird issues, on the T444E, it is a somewhat common no-start or engine stall item. Same on the early 90's Buick LeSabre (Voice of Experience). Not sure if it's a no-start/stall issue on yours but it will wreak havoc on the computer not knowing if/when to shift because it's not sure of engine speed.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote