Old 04-12-2019, 08:58 PM   #71
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran/Wolfington
Chassis: 3800
Engine: International DT466E 195HP variant
Rated Cap: 72 pax 29500 GVWR
I know the go to answer is always fuel filters, but if the bus was running until you ran it out of diesel then it’s clearly air in the system. Keep priming the fuel system. Your batteries might be weak from cranking to start the engine. Keep priming, you got this.
WARGEAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 09:07 PM   #72
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
Your 99 E-van should have an electric fuel pump. If you turn the key to accessory you should hear a humming down under your driver's door step. It will run for 30 seconds or so without starting the engine and will self-prime the fuel bowl on top of the engine.

Changing the fuel filter is always a good idea after running the tank dry but what you may be experiencing is air in the fuel lines down stream of the fuel filter and that may take a few miles to clear the air in the fuel rails. Once you get it started keep the revs up so it's not so likely to stall out.

There are 2 fuel strainers in the fuel pickup/fuel level sending unit that may get plugged up. There should be an access hatch inside the bus that will allow you to get at the top of the tank to remove the unit. You'll need a set of Ford fuel line quick disconnect tools to get the unit out. Fortunately the tools are quite inexpensive and available at any auto parts store. I cleaned my strainers with some brake cleaner then reinstalled them good as new. You'll need to pull the unit in order to repair the fuel level sending unit anyway.
Old 05-17-2019, 02:17 PM   #73

Hi, I've got a 2001 7.3 and a huge problem. It's leaking brake fluid running or not. Drip drip drip. I popped the hood res was empty. Added fluid and drove the 4 miles to a walmart and it's empty again. The puddle is under the transmission about even with the doors. Took the inner hood apart and no drip to be seen. I can't find where the leak is coming from. I could really use a few pointers. TIA
Bronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 04:14 PM   #74
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
You likely have a rusted through brake line. Assuming you have a Ford based bus the rear brake line runs along the driver's side on top of the frame rail near the fuel line (IIRC). If the leak shows up under the trans I'd guess the brake line is spurting fluid toward the center of the bus.
Old 05-17-2019, 07:06 PM   #75
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran/Wolfington
Chassis: 3800
Engine: International DT466E 195HP variant
Rated Cap: 72 pax 29500 GVWR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
Hi, I've got a 2001 7.3 and a huge problem. It's leaking brake fluid running or not. Drip drip drip. I popped the hood res was empty. Added fluid and drove the 4 miles to a walmart and it's empty again. The puddle is under the transmission about even with the doors. Took the inner hood apart and no drip to be seen. I can't find where the leak is coming from. I could really use a few pointers. TIA
Rusted brake line in where the fluids exiting. Master cylinder might be shot too if itís just letting fluid out without touching the pedal.
WARGEAR is offline   Reply With Quote