Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2017, 09:51 PM   #1

1985 Bluebird Flat Nose / Radiator / WP Question

I haven't been able to find information on replacing the water pump on my 1985 Bluebird FE Flat Nose. My problem is that I can't reach the bottom bolts to the water pump from the top or below.. There is snow on the ground here and very cold!.. If I had access to a pit or lift I could easily reach up to it. My thoughts are to remove the front panels and remove the radiator. Good idea? Anyone done it? Big job? Would I be opening a can of worms? Also the bus can't be completely disabled for long.
I got a quote from a local truck shop and they want $1,200 to do it. I think thats terrible especially considering its just a GM 366 Gas Engine. Super Easy and available Pump. Thanks for any advice.

85Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 11:06 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
It's my understanding that most work on the front of the engine in a FE is done by removing the radiator. That said, I'm completely unfamiliar with your bus engine setup.

I'm dreading that task myself since my bus is a daily driver. I think rivetboy recently did an idler wheel replacement and possibly other stuff that involved removing the radiator. He said it wasn't all that bad.