Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2011, 10:14 AM   #1
Almost There

Year: 90
Coachwork: Volunteer
Engine: 366
Rated Cap: 65
1989 366 fuel problem

Guy I'm new here, must says this is a coool site, I just purchased a 90 modle with what appears to be the 366 efi. It's a very nice bus, I tried to buy it awhile back and another fella got it first , he gave 1000.00 for it. Well he can't get it to run, only if he pours fuel in throttle body it runs untill it runs out, okay he puts in a new fuel pump that don't fix it, new modgul(sp) on the distributer that supposedly fires the injectors that don't fix it, so he has the injectors cleaned that don't fix it either, so I buy it for 600.00 and he has Also took the seats out, hope I come out on the deal, lol okay what do I need to look for next to get this running? What should the fuel pressure be? Thanks ahead for any help, looking forward to spending some time on the site and on the new bus fixing it up

thanks,
Shandon

Six Four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:47 PM   #2
Almost There

Re: 1989 366 fuel problem

any efi gurus here???
Old 02-10-2011, 07:29 PM   #3
Bus Nut

366 fuel problem

This cannot be an impossible task to make the engine run. Gas engines need only air, gasoline, and spark. If the engine will run while adding gas, then the fuel system needs to be checked. First discover what type fuel pump is installed by the factory. If the pump is in the fuel tank, there must be a relay to move the fuel and make pressure. Next, locate the fuel pump. Have a helper turn ignition switch off and on while listening for any click. Check for a similar relay and change for a quick test. Check for fuel pump fuse. Check all fuses. Does engine crank easily and is battery charged? I have mounted an electric fuel pump on frame without using the factory pump. The wiring is a small puzzle. Remove a fuel line connection near the engine to check for gas and pressure.
Frank
frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:28 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.

It's been a looooong time since I did any injection work. I think you have SEFI One injector per cylinder with a firing circuit for each injector individually. Results in better emissions and more power. The first thing to check is for fuel pressure in the main furl rail. You must use a pressure gauge, just having fuel present isn't enough. Fuel Pressure is approximately 45 psi. There should be a port to check pressure in the main fuel rail, it looks like the bottom of a T with a bolt in it.

An additional injector for added fuel during cold starts is often present.( You can also check pressure where the fuel line goes to this injector)

There is probably a relay to run the fuel pump when you cycle the ignition to "on".Hook up your pressure gauge and turn the key on a couple of times.

I would also suggest changing the fuel filter,if it hasn't been done already, before you even bother with the pressure check.

If you're going to fix this yourself you MUST have a repair manual. This should be want you want ( I don't guarantee it, do your own homework) I don't think it's still in print, but there seems to be a lot of used ones out there http://www.amazon.com/Mitchells-Elec...390760&sr=1-10

I used to work on all kinds of fuel injection both foreign and domestic and in ALL systems, fuel PRESSURE is one of the most important things to check. It's not impossible to fix with some study. You do need to know exactly which system you have and a reasonable understanding of how it works along with, the proper manuals.

If all else fails you could get a manifold and carburetor from a big block Chev, but the injection will give better mileage if you can get it going.

Dick
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:08 PM   #5
Almost There

Guys thanks for the replies!

Dick, this is a throttle body injection, it only has two injectors. I was told that the two bolts that hold the module in the distributer that fires the injectors if they are rusty it want work, I got it home tonight gonna work on it in a few days
Old 02-15-2011, 08:25 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.

That one is easier to trouble shoot. Fuel pressure I think is the same. I also think the same book has info.

Dick
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:35 PM   #7
Almost There

Guys, didn't check the fuel pressure didn't have much time to work, I was told locally to check the screws holding that module in the distributor which was just put in new, the screws were rusted and Also while there I brushed up the cap and rotor, but none of that helped, the injectors are not even dribbling. Fuel pressure?
Old 02-16-2011, 08:39 PM   #8
Almost There

Guys, didn't check the fuel pressure didn't have much time to work, I was told locally to check the screws holding that module in the distributor which was just put in new, the screws were rusted and Also while there I brushed up the cap and rotor, but none of that helped, the injectors are not even dribbling. Fuel pressure? Safety switch anywhere?

I got the tester to test to see if the injectors are even getting power, gonna check them this afternoon, hopefully they are and the injectors are just stuck...
Old 02-17-2011, 07:53 PM   #9
Almost There

They are getting power, stuck maybe?
Old 03-24-2011, 04:48 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: blue bird
Chassis: chevy

I have a 91 GMC with the 366 engine. Mine would crank but not idle. After 600 bucks swaping out everything we found out the new fuel pump that was installed before I bought bus was putting out not enough pressure. I got a new one that put out 35 or 55 lbs. thing runs strong now.
smitty500 is offline   Reply With Quote