Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-07-2019, 09:10 PM   #1
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 4
1995 TC/2000 Chevy - How do I identify the Transmission?

Hello, all. I have a 1995 TC/2000 with VIN number 1BAANCFA7SFxxxxxx (x's are the serial number - left that out. According to the info I found on Google, the numbers mean:

1 - Country: US
BA - World Manufacturer Identifier: Blue Bird Bus
A - TC/2000
N - Series: 3210 (prior to 1987) or 3904-4100
C - Body Type: Front engine
F - Engine: Chevrolet Gas 427A
A -Brake System Type: Air
7 - Check Digit
S - Year: 1995
F - Plant of Manufacture: Fort Valley, GA

So, nothing about what transmission I have. According to the info I've gathered, the only choice for auto trans in a Chevy TC/2000 of this year is an Allision AT-545. Is this correct? If there are other possibilities, how would I be able to identify what my vehicle has?

Thanks!
garycolwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 09:32 PM   #2
Bus Crazy
 
Sleddgracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: south east BC, close to the Canadian/US border
Posts: 1,940
Chassis: still looking for my bus
Quote:
Originally Posted by garycolwill View Post
Hello, all. I have a 1995 TC/2000 with VIN number 1BAANCFA7SFxxxxxx (x's are the serial number - left that out. According to the info I found on Google, the numbers mean:

1 - Country: US
BA - World Manufacturer Identifier: Blue Bird Bus
A - TC/2000
N - Series: 3210 (prior to 1987) or 3904-4100
C - Body Type: Front engine
F - Engine: Chevrolet Gas 427A
A -Brake System Type: Air
7 - Check Digit
S - Year: 1995
F - Plant of Manufacture: Fort Valley, GA

So, nothing about what transmission I have. According to the info I've gathered, the only choice for auto trans in a Chevy TC/2000 of this year is an Allision AT-545. Is this correct? If there are other possibilities, how would I be able to identify what my vehicle has?

Thanks!
as far as I'm aware, buses equipped with chevy motors come with chevy transmissions - they seem to have a good reputation
Sleddgracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 09:53 PM   #3
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
as far as I'm aware, buses equipped with chevy motors come with chevy transmissions - they seem to have a good reputation
Wikipedia (I know, not the greatest source) says "To keep the price down, Blue Bird simplified the powertrain lineup with a single gasoline engine (a Chevrolet 427 cubic-inch V8 ) and a single diesel engine (a Cummins 6BTA5.9/ISB inline-6). Theoretically, a manual transmission was available, but almost all TC/2000s were supplied with an Allison AT-545 automatic transmission. When the TC/2000 RE was added in 1991, the Cummins C 8.3/ISC 8.3 and Allison MT-643 were added to the lineup; however, these were exclusive to the RE. After 1995, the gasoline engine choice was dropped due to the popularity of diesel engines in Type D school buses."

No mention of a Chevy transmission.
garycolwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 10:04 AM   #4
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 4,771
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I have seen discussion of buses with gas engines backed by an AT-545.

Quote from another site:

"The gas buses used GM Gas engines (I'm not sure what the numbers were). The transmissions in the GM's I think are Allison AT545 or AT543's "
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 10:43 AM   #5
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I have seen discussion of buses with gas engines backed by an AT-545.

Quote from another site:

"The gas buses used GM Gas engines (I'm not sure what the numbers were). The transmissions in the GM's I think are Allison AT545 or AT543's "
Well, this was easier than I thought. I noticed a tag above the blue tag that has all kinds of numbers on it, one of which was a transmission number: 3210731390. I called a local commercial vehicle transmission service place and they were able to tell me based on that number that this is definitely an Allison AT-545.
garycolwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 10:46 AM   #6
Bus Crazy
 
Sleddgracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: south east BC, close to the Canadian/US border
Posts: 1,940
Chassis: still looking for my bus
Quote:
Originally Posted by garycolwill View Post
Wikipedia (I know, not the greatest source) says "To keep the price down, Blue Bird simplified the powertrain lineup with a single gasoline engine (a Chevrolet 427 cubic-inch V8 ) and a single diesel engine (a Cummins 6BTA5.9/ISB inline-6). Theoretically, a manual transmission was available, but almost all TC/2000s were supplied with an Allison AT-545 automatic transmission. When the TC/2000 RE was added in 1991, the Cummins C 8.3/ISC 8.3 and Allison MT-643 were added to the lineup; however, these were exclusive to the RE. After 1995, the gasoline engine choice was dropped due to the popularity of diesel engines in Type D school buses."

No mention of a Chevy transmission.
I'm certainly no expert, but by searching online, I've been able to do stuff like discern what chev motor a bus had in it by the standard transmission the bus had - I've been checking out gas and propane powered buses for some time now, and the automatics were all 4 speed GM transmissions as far as I could tell - don't take my experience to the bank and try to cash it though
Sleddgracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 10:58 AM   #7
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 4
Tranmission Serial Number was a Big Help

That transmission serial number was everything. It's amazing what information Blue Bird keeps on the vehicles it produces. I called a local authorized service center and the guy was very helpful and looked up the bus based on the vehicle's body number, which is located on the inside of the bus just above the windshield on the curb side. He was able to pull the transmission number, which matched what I had on the black label just above the blue label. From that I could go to the Allison Transmission website and look it up:

https://www.allisontransmission.com/...y-transmission

This source also confirms that I have an ATA545.
garycolwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 11:04 AM   #8
Bus Crazy
 
Sleddgracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: south east BC, close to the Canadian/US border
Posts: 1,940
Chassis: still looking for my bus
Quote:
Originally Posted by garycolwill View Post
Well, this was easier than I thought. I noticed a tag above the blue tag that has all kinds of numbers on it, one of which was a transmission number: 3210731390. I called a local commercial vehicle transmission service place and they were able to tell me based on that number that this is definitely an Allison AT-545.


thanks for that information - that's something I will definitely keep my eyes open about - there is no way I want to be driving a bus through mountainous snowy roads with a transmission that won't hold back

maybe I should raise my budget and look for a newer bus, ( 2008 - 2010 ) with a 454 and the 6 speed ( shiftable? ) transmission, top two gears as overdrive?
Sleddgracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.