Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2010, 10:46 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Location: Mtn. Home Idaho - 1982 Superior propane powered chevy 366
366 BB Carb Choice

Thinking of dumping the propane setup, whats the best choice in your opinion for a carb/CFM, thanks.

Gyva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:25 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Carb Choice

Propane is not a great choice in my opinion. This is a OK fuel system for runaround pickup trucks. Propane does not have the same energy os gas or diesel fuel.
Most engines fitted with propane must derate the engine power. Parts are expensive and work labor is very expensive. How about a change to a nice diesel?
Propane is OK for cruising but not great for the hills. Adding propane to a gas or diesel engine does improve power. Frank
frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:02 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Re: 366 BB Carb Choice

Yes exactly, this is why I am choosing to dump the propane setup. I am going to do a quick conversion to Gas. I just dont know what size carb to put on the motor, 600 650 750cfm? If I had to guess I would think the 650 would do fine. But thought I'd ask here first, and I see your in Twin falls, ha! I am right above you in Glenns Ferry... Small world

Mike.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:39 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84

I wouldn't worry about that difference. In fact, you might be happy with a two-barrel, which has a lot less metering complications. It is unlikely you will ever actually need more flow than 500 cfm. I would consentrate on finding a carb that fits, and works well.

The Rochester Quadrajet is probably the most common four-barrel on a Chevy, and it is a good carb.

In the aftermarket, the Edelbrock Performer is a good carb -- it is actually the old Carter AFB, which was a famous design.

Stay away from the four-barrel Holleys. Sure, the hot rodders use them, but they are mostly good at wide-open-throttle. The metering blocks tend to warp, which leads to internal leaks and poor drivability -- and high fuel consumption.

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:17 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

You could probably go down to the parts store right now and pick up an Edelbrock 1406 off the shelf for less than $300, put it on, and not have to adjust a thing. Have you considered the alternative, namely going to throttle body injection? I avoid carbs as much as is possible, especially in instances where there was a factory fuel injection option for a particular engine anyway.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:20 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

For anyone else wondering I did the research and they came from the factory with a Holley 550cfm for the gasoline engines.

Mike.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:35 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyva
For anyone else wondering I did the research and they came from the factory with a Holley 550cfm for the gasoline engines.
Mike.
Good to know.

Buuuut.... I worked at a Chrysler dealer in the late 1970s. We retrofitted a ton of Chryslers that had a four barrel Holley from the factory... with a Carter AVS (close relative to the AFB). This change-over was the factory-approved fix for all the trouble with the Holleys. Those cars ran sooooo much better, and got twice the fuel mileage, with the Carter. Sure, the Holley had ran fine when new, but between the frequent leaky Power Valve and the leaks AROUND the power valve, the Holleys dribbled a lot of "unauthorized" fuel into the engine.

Sometimes we'd just repair the Holley. We straightened the metering body with a hammer. I could tell you how, but then I'd have to kill you.

I'm harping on this because the Holley hot rod people used to be darned good at marketing their carbonators. I'm trying to level the field. I'm sure the Holley is great when you drop a wrecking ball on the gas pedal. But that's not what you need for everyday driving. Above all: Do NOT buy a used Holley for your bus.

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:57 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1974
Coachwork: CARPENTER
Chassis: GMC-6000
Engine: 454 CHEVY
Rated Cap: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Naess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyva
Mike.
Good to know.

Buuuut.... I worked at a Chrysler dealer in the late 1970s. We retrofitted a ton of Chryslers that had a four barrel Holley from the factory... with a Carter AVS (close relative to the AFB). This change-over was the factory-approved fix for all the trouble with the Holleys. Those cars ran sooooo much better, and got twice the fuel mileage, with the Carter. Sure, the Holley had ran fine when new, but between the frequent leaky Power Valve and the leaks AROUND the power valve, the Holleys dribbled a lot of "unauthorized" fuel into the engine.

Sometimes we'd just repair the Holley. We straightened the metering body with a hammer. I could tell you how, but then I'd have to kill you.

I'm harping on this because the Holley hot rod people used to be darned good at marketing their carbonators. I'm trying to level the field. I'm sure the Holley is great when you drop a wrecking ball on the gas pedal. But that's not what you need for everyday driving. Above all: Do NOT buy a used Holley for your bus.

YES I THINK THE HOLLEYS ARE JUNK TO GIVE ME ANY Q-JET ANY DAY!!!! ALL THREE OF MY RIGS HAVE A Q-JET TWO 350s AND A 454 I WONT RUN ANY THING ELSE OR THEN MAYBE EFI.

the BEAST, 350, 4 sm465, np205,
hd d44 4.56, eaton ff 4.56
CAMO-MONSTER is offline   Reply With Quote