Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2013, 09:50 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: International Amtran RE
Engine: DT466E/MD3060
Rated Cap: 78
366 headers (factory or after market)

I know this might be a long shot but I know theres a lot of smart wrench turners here.

I am at phase with the bus that I need to get a few things put together to get it inspected. Once of those is a piece of tail pipe since a part of it broke off and its venting under the bus body. In this process I looked at the exhaust system over all and thought this was very chicken s*^t system. I am not sure on the size of the pipe and thought this was WAY undersized. So......

I was wondering if anyone has put a set of aftermarket headers on them? Being a bus no parts house is going to have a listing for a B6000 let alone a 1983 model. if anyone has some info on where to get a set that will work let me know. Since Im thinking of doing headers I will plan on running some new pipe and have it exit forward of the rear wheels on the drivers side. Just cause if Im parked and people are on the passenger side in chairs it doesnt make sense to vent fumes there.

Not trying to make a monster hp motor just let it breathe a little better. Im sure true dual exhaust will help.

Thanks

bapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:56 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Re: 366 headers (factory or after market)

Big block Chevy headers are going to work and you have way more room in a bus chassis than a car ever would so fitment shouldn't be an issue at all eith the most generic of headers, but the ports on those heads are what are really killing you. I would be sure that you get the thickest, narliest headers you can afford because manifolds on a working vehicle like a bus are going to get glowing hot under load like pulling a long hill. The ancient grain trucks around these parts get replacement cast iron manifolds when the original 40-50 year old parts fail because they last...well...40-50 years whereas headers would probably last 4-5 years.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:06 PM   #3
Bus Nut

the_experience03

Thanks for the info. I GREATLY appreciate it. I have been reading about people putting them in regular trucks so the convo is not really needed. I know some were saying there is a height difference but didnt see how it could really affect me cause like you said there is a ton of room there.

yes the ports are going to suck and from what I read theres no real help for them. As I said not trying to make a hot rod just letting it flow as well as I can with whats on the table.

Yes I can see the heat being a major issue when under a load. I am VERY kind to my equipment so those type of things will make a difference. I will start to look at thick "narley" headers. Like many things on this project I collect parts in stages and when i have them all I pull the trigger on make the move. If you have a header you think would work. I havent messed with headers (outside of demoltion derby ones and they are stright through the hood type) in years so Im sure they have changed a lot since the mid 80s.

Since you seem to be a very apt mechanic.... let me run this past you. I am thinking of pulling the air pump off and all the tubes running to the stock manifolds. In its place Im going to put a high output alternator to power either house batteries or more on board systems? Let me know your thoughts on this.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:17 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

You won't notice a problem at all by pulling that air pump off. Your catalyst will become less efficient possibly, but I hardly think that is an issue on a 1983 bus. You may well not even have a cat convertor under there.

Air pumps are a sneaky device. The formal statement of their purpose is that they provide additional oxygen to encourage oxidation (burning) in the manifolds and downpipes and to allow a 3-way converter to store extra oxygen for later use. The reality is that air pumps existed to dilute the exhaust so that the parts per million a sniffer picked up dropped below the threshold. Modern electronic air pumps do a much better job of mimicking the formal purpose.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:07 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Thank you again for your input on this. Im very greatful. Nope no catalyst there to slow down. Most larger trucks and buses didnt have them here in TX. When i get ready to re do the exhaust I will be ripping all of that stuff out. I may take the pump out early depending on when I do some of the electrical work but we will see.

Any thoughts on what size pipe to redo the exhause system. I plan on going true duals but have them exit on the drivers side forward of the rear wheels.

Thanks

Bapos