Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2017, 10:57 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: Blue Bird Micro Bird
Engine: 6.3L?
Rated Cap: 25?
Alarm goes off when i open the driver side door

I have a 2002 Blue Bird Micro-Bird 6.5L Diesel.

I just bought the bus a few weeks ago and we've already started renovating.

When I go to unlock the driver side door with the key (no keyless entree here) the car alarm goes off like someone is breaking into the bus. I then have to put the keys in the ignition and turn over to at least accessories.

Here's the even weirder part,
After I driver around, put the bus in park, pull the keys out (up to this point everything is fine) then I open the driver side door from inside the bus, the alarm goes off again. The horn is blaring and I have no idea what it could be.

So I have to turn off the engine, and open the emergency latch on the entrance door and leave through there. Which that leaves all my emergency and over head lights on which then drains the battery.

Luckily, for now, we're focusing on renovating so we're no taking her any where at the moment.

If any one could help me out with this that'd be fantastic.

Thank you!

IAmGuadalupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 11:47 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
My first thought is to check the "Kid Minder" switch/button in the back of the bus. The idea of this is to make the driver walk the length of the bus to make sure no sleeping kids are still aboard. Usually these are "armed" when you shut off the engine, and will sound if you leave the bus without pushing the button/switch.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 11:58 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
My first thought is to check the "Kid Minder" switch/button in the back of the bus. The idea of this is to make the driver walk the length of the bus to make sure no sleeping kids are still aboard. Usually these are "armed" when you shut off the engine, and will sound if you leave the bus without pushing the button/switch.

I've toggled the switch before (the one on the ceiling by the back door) and nothing happened. But the people I bought it from seemed to think that that would work because they said it worked for them before. Maybe it's just loose? Is there a way I could disconnect it without disengaging the engine?
Old 09-21-2017, 12:19 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Basically what happens (assuming the system is still in place and working), shutting off the engine "arms" the system. Pushing the button/switch sends the system an "All Clear" and disarms it. Opening the door instead causes it to sound as a warning "Hey, you forgot to walk to the back of the bus".

I'm sure the system can be disarmed and removed, but I lack the information to explain how to do that. I would *NOT* just start cutting and hacking away at the wiring and such because if you do, the next thing you know, you'll be returning to us with "Help! My bus won't start!" (does this sound like the voice of experience talking?) Only try disconnecting one thing at a time, and see if your bus still starts, runs, and drives (and if it doesn't, reconnect whatever you just unhooked).
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 07:15 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
Basically what happens (assuming the system is still in place and working), shutting off the engine "arms" the system. Pushing the button/switch sends the system an "All Clear" and disarms it. Opening the door instead causes it to sound as a warning "Hey, you forgot to walk to the back of the bus".

I'm sure the system can be disarmed and removed, but I lack the information to explain how to do that. I would *NOT* just start cutting and hacking away at the wiring and such because if you do, the next thing you know, you'll be returning to us with "Help! My bus won't start!" (does this sound like the voice of experience talking?) Only try disconnecting one thing at a time, and see if your bus still starts, runs, and drives (and if it doesn't, reconnect whatever you just unhooked).

I'll definitely give that a try. It'll have to wait until after the weekend though, but I'll keep this updated.

So if the original bus driver were to not check the Kid Minder then the whole bus alarm would go off? I'm talking about the horn alarm, not some buzzer on the inside of the bus. That's whats happening.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:12 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
If it isn't the kid minder, it sounds like the factory antitheft system. Look up the antitheft system for the chassis and see what you come up with there. It may not be a bus body issue at all.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 11:32 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njsurf73 View Post
If it isn't the kid minder, it sounds like the factory antitheft system. Look up the antitheft system for the chassis and see what you come up with there. It may not be a bus body issue at all.

That sounds very possible. I've done a search and I couldn't find anything more than people asking for help because they disabled their engine via the anti theft system. The engine starts up fine, after I jump because the battery has been drained. Is there something specific I should look up? Have you found anything pertaining to this specific problem? All help is welcome.

Thank you!
Old 09-22-2017, 11:36 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

I don't know what chassis you have. If it's a cut away, then whatever van for that year would be your chassis. If it's a full body, then I don't know where to look.

Old 09-25-2017, 06:02 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njsurf73 View Post
I don't know what chassis you have. If it's a cut away, then whatever van for that year would be your chassis. If it's a full body, then I don't know where to look.

It is a cutaway 2002 or 2004 (manual says 2002, BlueBird plaque next to door says manufactured in 2004) Chevy.

While renovating I've just been disconnecting the battery to avoid draining it again.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:03 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

So you need to look at the anti-theft system for a Chevy van of the same here

Old 07-07-2022, 05:41 PM   #11

Is this resolved?

Hi I just bought the exact same bud as you. I can’t find the disarm button in the back. I’m also having the same issue. It’s not a buzzing sound but the normal car alarm. Did you figure it out? I’m about to driving it home and won’t be able to lock it.
JustTrynaHike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 02:45 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
you need to make sure the lights are off.
some didnt have automatic lights and pull the key out of the ignition.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alarm, door, driver side, horn, micro bird