Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30
Engine: 350 Chevy
Rated Cap: 10K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
Changing engines in a van is a pain in the ass. I'd avoid it if that's what needs to be done.

The 6.0 engine is pretty reliable. If it sounds good cranking it over when trying to start, that's a good indicator that the problem is electronic in nature and not mechanical.

I'm not sure what to make of you saying you have to get your finances together to buy a $500 bus. If you don't have 500 bucks to lose on something like this perhaps it's not worth the gamble. Scrap isn't worth what it used to be a few years ago.
Thanks for the advice above. It turns over ok, but doesn't fire up. It has the correct oil level in the pan, so it doesn't appear to have had a major mechanical meltdown or any catastrophic internal grenading.
I haven't tried ether or done any further troubleshooting where it is, as I'm in a wheelchair and I was without my right hand man when I looked at it.

On finances, I'm not worried about the buy money. It's the unexpected added costs of having to potentially replace the engine, or other drivetrain components due to not being able to "test drive" this unit.

As Willie said, the engine change costs would likely be more than the bus is worth, and another running bus could be had for less $$ overall.

I'm still inclined to take the gamble at $500., depending on the added tow cost to get it "home". I'm going to take a more in depth look at it next week, and should be making a buy/no buy decision in the near future.
to all who've responded, for the advice...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote