Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2019, 06:05 AM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Placeholder Bus Name View Post
Thanks for all insight. I'm thinking swapping TBI over for another motor is my best option for what I want. As far as doing the work, in my past life I was a mechanic, so added the needed components will not be difficult for me. Also, I need to drop the tank anyways, so installing a new pump is already in the plans.

Thanks for the responses. I'm really looking forward to getting this Box Chevy rolling.
I wish you the best of luck with your project. It seems like you have a good handle on it.

Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 03:59 PM   #22
Skoolie

ANY of the new self learning throttle Body Injection (TBI) systems from Holley, Edelbrock, Fi-Tech or others will work GREAT on your 427 engine in your bus. These systems today are NOTHING LIKE the TBI systems of old.

No fuel return line to plumb, intank or frame rail mount fuel pump, easy programming by answering some basic questions on the handheld computer head and off you go. Just make sure you get a good fuel pump. Intake pumps are still better than frame mounts however the frame mounts have come a long way!

Doing a $10k+ diesel swap in $5K bus does not make a lot of "Cents" when gas is much cheaper than diesel and the driveability and power of a modern TBI equipped 427 will give you all the power you could want or need with fuel economy not the much less than a diesel swap!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 04:24 PM   #23
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC/AMTRANS RE
Engine: T444E 7.3 w/ MD3060
Rated Cap: 36000lbs / 78pass / 39'
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
ANY of the new self learning throttle Body Injection (TBI) systems from Holley, Edelbrock, Fi-Tech or others will work GREAT on your 427 engine in your bus. These systems today are NOTHING LIKE the TBI systems of old.

No fuel return line to plumb, intank or frame rail mount fuel pump, easy programming by answering some basic questions on the handheld computer head and off you go. Just make sure you get a good fuel pump. Intake pumps are still better than frame mounts however the frame mounts have come a long way!

Doing a $10k+ diesel swap in $5K bus does not make a lot of "Cents" when gas is much cheaper than diesel and the driveability and power of a modern TBI equipped 427 will give you all the power you could want or need with fuel economy not the much less than a diesel swap!
$10k for a diesel swap is a bit steep (if you carefully source your parts it can be done for the 5-6k range if you do it all yourself, but MPGs are the only things to consider, a major reason I like diesels is I brew my own fuel which runs the price way down but also diesel doesn't go boom like gas easily will. Diesel engines typically produce more power than a gasser, unless we are talking about a GM 6.5 diesel, I'd take a gas over them but otherwise diesel is always the champ on power.

I've bought up decent running trucks for 1500 that were no starts, even a nice F350 with loads of work done when the dealer was too lazy to look at the fuel tanks which was the problem..... But saying a swap will run 10k is not realistic for someone savvy in their shopping and can do all the work on their own. Especially if souring mechanical and non electronic engine and trans for the swap.
If you would like to check out my website that has all sort of information especially for the T444E/7.3PSD engines check out www.PatrickTheSalvageGuy.com I've got helpful downloads and articles as well as a link to my YT for other how to videos mainly on the F series trucks.
PatrickBaptist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 04:37 PM   #24
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
I have to agree with vintageracer. I have a 345 with an old holley tbi, and I do have good power and driveability. A friend has a 1999 bluebird with a cat 3126 (190hp) and on long grades I leave him behind. Both our buses are 11 window, 34 foot long
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 04:40 PM   #25
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC/AMTRANS RE
Engine: T444E 7.3 w/ MD3060
Rated Cap: 36000lbs / 78pass / 39'
I moved from a 30' class A with 454 and my 39' bus would smoke it with it's 170 T444E and weighing more than double the 30' pace arrow.
Carb was rebuilt and ran pretty decent up till it got stuck in the yard and that turbo400 slush box got fed up with me and locked up LOL.
If you would like to check out my website that has all sort of information especially for the T444E/7.3PSD engines check out www.PatrickTheSalvageGuy.com I've got helpful downloads and articles as well as a link to my YT for other how to videos mainly on the F series trucks.
PatrickBaptist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 11:07 AM   #26
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
In my case, though, what if the powertrain I want wasn't readily available (or even offered) in a bus? Say, for example, dropping an ISX Cummins in one? Now, admittedly, that's a lot of time, cost, and effort and driving it a couple times a year wouldn't justify all that, but if I drove it a lot and felt justified in using a high-horsepower motor, then why not buy a $500 El Cheapo with a dead engine/transmission and do a swap?

I agree with your point, though. Buying a DT466 or 8.3 Cummins equipped bus will be far cheaper and easier than swapping ... even if you found one with a "dead" engine and had it rebuilt.
One thing about Skoolies is you can pick your poison.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote