Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2019, 12:17 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
bought my bus

bought my bus, finally! - it has a fresh (3000 miles ) 454 putting out 400 HP and 600 ft lbs of torque at 5000 rpm - pulls strong on the hills - came up all the hills on the 600 mile trip home in 4th or 5th gear with the exception of Kootenay Pass on the 12% grade when I had to shift down to 3rd gear - had some problems at first, but once they were sorted, the bus ran strong, easily traveled at 60 mph - needs some work on a variety of things, most of which can be done here in my back yard - it's a converted 8 window bus with a sturdy 4' porch on the back - l'll make use of the porch and part of the interior to create the garage - new tires all round, but need snow tires for the back wheels - the bus has been converted with a rather tacky conversion, but that will help getting it registered as a MH and can be upgraded as time and $'s permit, but it's good enough as is to use this winter - I left the purchase of a bus too late to convert one before race season starts, so this one will have to do for now - it needs insulation and a roof raise, but arctic sleeping bags will do for now - as the trip proceeded, the small glitches disappeared one by one, the motor smoothed out and ran stronger - turned out it hadn't sat for 3 years as the seller stated, but the 6 years as confirmed by the registration - now to get it ready for the safety inspection so it can be registered in BC, and it will be on the road - got 7 mph on the trip travelling at 60 + - with a carb clean and a proper carb adjustment, I expect a bit better than that - - only rust I've found is a small hole on the hood - why it rusted on the side of the hood, I have no idea, unless it was a replacement hood - so far, I'm pleased with my purchase - pictures to come

Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 12:24 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Well congrats,

What is it? Make, model, year size mileage etc.. where did you find it and have you named it? Perhaps Hike or Haw!

F
Firepuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 12:40 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Congrats on the outcome of a long search.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 02:44 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepuncher View Post
Well congrats,

What is it? Make, model, year size mileage etc.. where did you find it and have you named it? Perhaps Hike or Haw!

F
1975 Chevy, C60 series - the speedo can't be believed - motor, tires, drive shaft, steady bearings, brakes, clutch, etc, have less than 3000 miles on them - under carriage is rust free - found it north west of Edmonton - - it's been in covered storage for the last 6 years - paid $2626 US for it -it will be named 'Spirit of the North' , the same name as my kennels - it's an 8 window, soon to be extended another 4 feet
Old 10-04-2019, 02:45 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Congrats on the outcome of a long search.
Old 10-04-2019, 03:30 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Congrats- but you gotta get us some PICS!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 03:32 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Nice

$3500 Canadian. The same bus here in Nova Scotia would be dust years ago with our salted roads and salt in the air. Spirit of the North is an excellent name. Looking forward to your photos.

S
Old 10-04-2019, 04:17 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Great news sledd now get off the puter and get it shipshape! Let the dogs sniff it and pee on all the tires.
Was wondering where you got too, hope you had a great trip.

John
Old 10-04-2019, 04:23 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJohn View Post
Great news sledd now get off the puter and get it shipshape! Let the dogs sniff it and pee on all the tires.

John
Good day,

I was recently in Napanee and Belleville on my way home from The Hammer visiting my daughter and granddaughter. Don't mind me, just trying to connect with fellow Canadian members.

S
Old 10-04-2019, 04:42 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Good day,

I was recently in Napanee and Belleville on my way home from The Hammer visiting my daughter and granddaughter. Don't mind me, just trying to connect with fellow Canadian members.

S

Howdy firepuncher, nice of you to reach out. Maybe next trip we could meet up.
Former Springhiller here so don't mind me!
I'll be down but not sure yet of timetable.

John
Old 10-04-2019, 04:54 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Howdy firepuncher, nice of you to reach out. Maybe next trip we could meet up.
Former Springhiller here so don't mind me!
I'll be down but not sure yet of timetable.

John
Love Springhill, saddened by the state of things outside of the mining museum and the Anne Murray center. Interestingly, I've never owned a bus yet, but the biggest vehicle I've ever owned I bought in Springhill. In the early 90s I bought a great but poorly geared International 7 ton truck to deliver wood pellets with. I now spend half my life on the road so I figure why not just live on the road. I will make a point of staying in touch for the next time I roll by

S
Old 10-05-2019, 12:33 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
I am so pleased you finally have a bus! Congratulations! I can hardly wait to see your take on bus conversion.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 01:21 AM   #13
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
I am so pleased you finally have a bus! Congratulations! I can hardly wait to see your take on bus conversion.
it's been converted to a motor home already, so hopefully I can register it in BC as a motorhome right from the start - the conversion has been poorly done, so I'll have to take it all apart and start fresh, but it has the drive train that I wanted - actually a better drive train than I had hoped for - the tacky conversion will get us through this winter with some minor changes ( we'll just need some heavy duty arctic sleeping bags to survive - lol )
Old 10-05-2019, 01:25 AM   #14
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Love Springhill, saddened by the state of things outside of the mining museum and the Anne Murray center. Interestingly, I've never owned a bus yet, but the biggest vehicle I've ever owned I bought in Springhill. In the early 90s I bought a great but poorly geared International 7 ton truck to deliver wood pellets with. I now spend half my life on the road so I figure why not just live on the road. I will make a point of staying in touch for the next time I roll by

S
I was in Nova Scotia at the time of the Spring Hill disaster - an uncle of a friend of mine was involved in the cave in, so I drove my friend and a couple of others to the scene - by the time we got there, the uncle and some others had been rescued - that area is a beautiful part of the world
Old 10-05-2019, 01:43 AM   #15
Bus Crazy

Quote:

John
the trip was a bit of an adventure - I had flown up to Edmonton, so I had no tools with me - the trip involved a wrecker, several days spent in a cheap motel while the ignition and faulty wiring was repaired/replaced - a stressful trip that had been planned to take 3 days and turned out to take 9 days - met some helpful people though - the wrecker driver saved me over $500 by suggesting an alternative for me, found an inexpensive motel for me, and a good reliable shop to do the repairs, then picked me up in his wrecker in the morning to deliver me to the shop - the shop owner volunteered to drive me where I had to go, almost missing a flight out of Edmonton in the process - then there was the lady cop that stayed with me for several hours while I waited for the wrecker she was able to get hold of arrived on the scene at the side of the road she gave me her card, complete with her hand written personal cell phone number in case I needed more help - then as I was leaving Edmonton the bus quit running again and the same lady angel cop found me again - she asked if I'd had breakfast yet - I told her I hadn't had coffee yet, so she made a ten minute trip and came back with a large black coffee and a muffin - I had phoned the shop and told them of my problem and he was there in minutes and made a simple repair - I asked what I owed him for his time and he told me, 'you don't owe me a f---ing thing' - I phoned all three people when I got home and thanked them for their help, and invited the lady RCMP officer to bring her family this winter and I'd take them for a dog sled tour
Old 10-05-2019, 01:44 AM   #16
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Nice

$3500 Canadian. The same bus here in Nova Scotia would be dust years ago with our salted roads and salt in the air. Spirit of the North is an excellent name. Looking forward to your photos.

S
should have some pics tomorrow
Old 10-05-2019, 01:46 AM   #17
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Congrats- but you gotta get us some PICS!
tomorrow ............
Old 10-05-2019, 02:48 AM   #18
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Yeah, but I do want to see what YOU do as a conversion! You have a lot of very practical ideas that you have expressed in the forum. In addition, you have a few very unique requirements. It will be an interesting build to follow (er, rebuild).
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 06:27 AM   #19
Bus Crazy

Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
the trip was a bit of an adventure - I had flown up to Edmonton, so I had no tools with me - the trip involved a wrecker, several days spent in a cheap motel while the ignition and faulty wiring was repaired/replaced - a stressful trip that had been planned to take 3 days and turned out to take 9 days - met some helpful people though - the wrecker driver saved me over $500 by suggesting an alternative for me, found an inexpensive motel for me, and a good reliable shop to do the repairs, then picked me up in his wrecker in the morning to deliver me to the shop - the shop owner volunteered to drive me where I had to go, almost missing a flight out of Edmonton in the process - then there was the lady cop that stayed with me for several hours while I waited for the wrecker she was able to get hold of arrived on the scene at the side of the road she gave me her card, complete with her hand written personal cell phone number in case I needed more help - then as I was leaving Edmonton the bus quit running again and the same lady angel cop found me again - she asked if I'd had breakfast yet - I told her I hadn't had coffee yet, so she made a ten minute trip and came back with a large black coffee and a muffin - I had phoned the shop and told them of my problem and he was there in minutes and made a simple repair - I asked what I owed him for his time and he told me, 'you don't owe me a f---ing thing' - I phoned all three people when I got home and thanked them for their help, and invited the lady RCMP officer to bring her family this winter and I'd take them for a dog sled tour

The milk of human kindness still flows in the Great White North.....bottle some of that and send it down here.

Glad you finally got your bus!

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 08:33 AM   #20
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
thats swesome!!! you got a classic!! and a gasser too.. in my opinion a good choice for being in the great north... no offense to all the diesels in the cold but I like fuel that doesnt freeze when the weather does!.. that 454 was a swap in.. wasnt an offered engine on that bus... the original engine wouldve been a 427 or a 366.. 454 has much easier to find parts for than either of the above engines.. though I hope its not over-tuned to pull a bus... big cams dont like to pull heavy loads.. so hopefully theyve got it built like an RV motor so it wont rev super high and poulls good!!

cant wait to see the pics!
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote