Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2009, 11:40 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1987
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 366 Gas
Electric cooling fan

I have a chevy 366 in my bus....I no just wait.....I wanted a gas motor because I didn,t want to have high repair bills if something happens....Plus I can find anything I need for it at a parts store along the way....Back to my topic....I want to install a electric cooling fan. One just for the noise the manual one makes..Two fuel mileage( I bet a mile per gal) or more.
Has anyone tryed this?? And how big of fan and more than likely two fo them.....I have already changed the exhaust over to dauls and what a change run,starts and you can just tell it runs free. I don't know yet if it helps the fuel but it didn't hurt it any..I was getting 7 most of the time but 7.5 sometimes. But I have a new motor ......Ok guys shoot some hole in my plan......Thanks

Old 08-07-2009, 12:04 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Chassis: Spartan (I think)
Engine: Cummins BT-6
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Electric cooling fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirbystud
I have a chevy 366 in my bus....I no just wait.....I wanted a gas motor because I didn,t want to have high repair bills if something happens....Plus I can find anything I need for it at a parts store along the way....Back to my topic....I want to install a electric cooling fan. One just for the noise the manual one makes..Two fuel mileage( I bet a mile per gal) or more.
Has anyone tryed this?? And how big of fan and more than likely two fo them.....I have already changed the exhaust over to dauls and what a change run,starts and you can just tell it runs free. I don't yet if it help the fuel but it didn't hurt it any..I was getting 7 most of the time but 7.5 sometimes. But I have a new motor ......Ok guys shoot some hole in my plan......Thanks
No holes Dude, it is a great idea. PM me and I'll try to help you out with some flow calculations and other info.
Lee
Old 08-07-2009, 04:46 PM   #3
Bus Nut

I vote for the taurus fans, make sure to fab up a good shroud that pulls air from the whole radiator, you will want to run a thermostaticly controlled relay to run the fans, get an underhood power distribution block from a late model f150 "spaces for relays and fuses" in a neat package with a cover and wire leads. while you're at the salvage yard to get the fans and shroud.
have your favorite parts person find a temp senderthat is user friendly for in the intake manifold/thermostat housing.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 04:52 PM   #4
Skoolie

I have heard that about the taurus fans......My son was following me the other day and he said it sounds real good but all I can hear when driving is the roar of the cooling fan. That was kind of what started this post.
Old 08-07-2009, 04:55 PM   #5
Skoolie

will one set of taurus fans do it??????it's a big radiator...
Old 08-07-2009, 05:05 PM   #6
Bus Nut

if you have the room go with 2 sets, they're cheap at the salvage yard. maybee even run them off of seperate temp sensors 10% apart.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:49 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

Taurus fans are amazing, but you're talking some fabrication and some expense (sensors, wiring, relays, etc). Are you sure you don't have an easily remedied problem with your mechanical fan like a bum fan clutch? That would be the cheaper and easier way to go about fixing it.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:08 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Chassis: Spartan (I think)
Engine: Cummins BT-6
Rated Cap: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul iossi
if you have the room go with 2 sets, they're cheap at the salvage yard. maybee even run them off of seperate temp sensors 10% apart.
I have to agree on this one with the two sets. If you have the room, put them in front of the radiator so the electric motors stay cool (heat is the biggest enemy of any electrical apparatus). Overall shrouds are nice, but not really necessary if the fans are mounted close (2 inches or less) to the front surface of the radiator. However, do try to use the ones that are usually still in one piece with the fans. Definitely install fan relays to carry the current to the fans, and normally you can find temperature sensors rated at 140 degrees and 160 degrees that will give you more than enough differential between the two sets. (cuts down on current draw and noise if you can avoid having both sets cut on at the same time)
I hope this works out for you, and wish you the best of luck.
Lee
Old 08-08-2009, 09:51 AM   #9
Skoolie

I don't have a fan clutch on mine. And I checked into putting one on talk about some $$$$$$ The junk yard must think they have something special when you ask for used bus parts.....so when my bus need something I try to convert it to every day stuff... That why I changed my tail lights they wanted $45 bucks for just one. I might not jump right on this job but I am going to start getting all the part lined up.. I will post pic. when I get it done.....Thanks
Old 08-08-2009, 05:05 PM   #10
Bus Nut

the taurus fans are made to pull air thru the radiator with shrouds to make sure that all of the radiator area is used, why try to reinvent the wheel?
Old 08-08-2009, 10:37 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul iossi
the taurus fans are made to pull air thru the radiator with shrouds to make sure that all of the radiator area is used, why try to reinvent the wheel?

I agree. With a shrouded puller fan you assure that all the air it moves is coming through the radiator. With a pusher fan, especially unshrouded, you leak a lot of cooling airflow. Look at the specs on cooling fans. They are very often rated at a lower CFM as a pusher than as a puller because they are less efficient.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:30 AM   #12
Skoolie

I checked with the grab-n-go junk yard.. They get $19.95 for any electric fan. So I going to start getting then one at a time.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:43 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Chassis: International
Engine: DT360

I'm curious how much this helps your mileage. Post your results.
icnivad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:39 PM   #14
Bus Geek

It was good for a 20 horsepower increase on Chevy trucks with the 5.3 to go from a mechanical to an electric fan. Plus it means you can now see the waterpump, belts, and thermostat.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:04 AM   #15
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350

theres no doubht you will make power and gas milage by dropping the fan in my old 6 banger nova beaters,id take them off as i was never idling always on the highway you could feel the difference .but whats the deal with push-pull can you reverse thewiring?I have a couple of fans one is from a cherokee,where do those sit in front I think? THIS IS A GOOD IDEA!
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 07:08 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

yes the taurus fans are great...so are the lincoln fans...must use a 40 amp relay!!!you are looking for at least 4000 cfm....if you have space...put them ahead of rad....

for sensors go the autometer...they are the premier guage company in the racing aftermarket...they offer the sensors...also flexalite makes an ajustable fan switch...PT# 31147...

speedshop owner here.>.

love those td366/427s!!!

parts are CHEAP!!!!!
nosnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:35 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Why would you recommend putting them in front of the radiator? They are less efficient there.

I've seen some 40 amp relays die under the use of those fans. The best thing to do is get the relays that came with the fans. Otherwise, 12voltguy.com has some kickass higher draw relays/solenoids.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:26 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

f*k me...my bad...i DID mean behind.....(i had the grille on my mind... )

sorry for the confusion,yes fans are set up as PULLER...
nosnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:42 PM   #19
Bus Geek

[hijack] So are you an installer type speed shop or do you carry parts? [/hijack]
Old 08-21-2009, 04:19 PM   #20
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350

a thought if it takes 10 hp to run a fan how much is saved with a electric water pump?A good place to make power in a skoolie...timbuk
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote