Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-15-2016, 09:54 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Oregon
Posts: 18
Year: 1974
Engine: 432 V6 Slanted 60
Gmc 432 v6 slanted 60

Anyone else pushing a 432 V6? Or has had any previous ownership of one? Just bought a 1974 BlueBird that currently has that motor in. From what I can tell by the vin # is that it was a Canada made bus. I purchased it in Oregon. Thanks in advance....
droppedout74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 11:10 PM   #2
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Georgia
Posts: 924
Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
That sounds like one of those old so-called "V-6 Detroits", as GM commonly used Detroit Diesel engines (it was a subsidiary of GM, as was Allison Automatic). They were 2-stroke engines and originally could be built for rotation in either direction, but to change one after manufacture requires changing a few internal parts (for example, the oil pump would run in reverse as well). They were considered very durable engines. There was only one potential thing, if it ever blew bearings/seals on the supercharger, then engine could "run away", burning the oil that was supposed to be lubricating the bearings. Many had emergency shut-offs that simply blocked air going into the engine just for this reason.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 03:54 AM   #3
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Winlcok, WA
Posts: 1,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
That sounds like one of those old so-called "V-6 Detroits", as GM commonly used Detroit Diesel engines (it was a subsidiary of GM, as was Allison Automatic). They were 2-stroke engines and originally could be built for rotation in either direction, but to change one after manufacture requires changing a few internal parts (for example, the oil pump would run in reverse as well). They were considered very durable engines. There was only one potential thing, if it ever blew bearings/seals on the supercharger, then engine could "run away", burning the oil that was supposed to be lubricating the bearings. Many had emergency shut-offs that simply blocked air going into the engine just for this reason.
Wrong engine Brad! These engines had nothing in common with the -53 series or the -71 series Detroit Diesel 2-cycle heavy duty diesel engines.

The 432 gas V-6 was one of a family of engines that GM brought out in the early '60's. The baby of the family, the 305, was put in a lot of half ton through 1-ton GMC trucks from about 1960 to 1974 and the larger ones put into medium duty trucks up through some Class 5/6 trucks. I have seen quite a few 10-wheel dump trucks that had the 702 V-6's in them.

GM also made a diesel version of the same engine and called it the ToroFlow or Turbium Diesel engine. Regardless of what it was called it was a real dog.

The difference between the gas and the diesel engines were the gas engines had spark plugs and the diesel engines had injectors. Both the spark plugs and injectors were in the upper side of the head down in the valley.

I have no experience with the 432 but I have had a lot of experience with the 305, 401, and 478. I would imagine the experience I have had with the others would apply to the 432.

The engines all had an extremely narrow power band that came in around 2600 RPM and was gone by about 3000 RPM. Any slower and you ran the real risk of sucking the head gaskets out and any faster all you were doing was making more noise and using more fuel.

Most of them had overheating issues that had nothing to do with the size and efficiency of the radiator. The basic design of a LOT of cast steel and poor water jacket design tended to make them run hot.

Most of them, even after getting them blue printed and balanced still would shake the pieces off of them. I can't tell you how many carbs got tossed due to cracks in the bases where the throttle plates pivoted. Very few didn't end up having ears braised back onto intake manifolds, alternator and power steering pump brackets repaired, and air compressor mounts rebuilt.

As far as fuel economy was concerned, the IHC LV478's always got 1-2 MPG better than the GM 478's.

The IHC LV478's could be loaded up with the football team and motor down the road at 60 MPH. The GM 478's with the same rear gears and transmission loaded with the same team were hard pressed to keep up on the flat and at the first hill would need to drop a gear.

By the late '80's parts and pieces for the big V-6 were getting pretty difficult to find. I can't imagine what it would be like to have to find some of the V-6 specific parts now. It may require some very good sleuthing to find parts used in other GM engines that might fit or could be made to fit.

Good luck and Happy Trails to you!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GMC_V6_engine
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 04:05 AM   #4
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Georgia
Posts: 924
Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Oopsies! Well, that was my mistake for the day. I had a '63 GMC 1-ton with the 305 V6 in it, took it in as part of a trade but never had the chance to even try to get it running.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 11:49 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Oregon
Posts: 18
Year: 1974
Engine: 432 V6 Slanted 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by droppedout74 View Post
Anyone else pushing a 432 V6? Or has had any previous ownership of one? Just bought a 1974 BlueBird that currently has that motor in. From what I can tell by the vin # is that it was a Canada made bus. I purchased it in Oregon. Thanks in advance....
What other options would I have as motors go, to easily swap in without having to move the mounts? Wouldn't mind having options later down the line, also good knowing what to keep an 👀out for.....
droppedout74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 02:15 PM   #6
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Winlcok, WA
Posts: 1,607
One of the GM truck Tonawanda big block 366/427 V-8's would be an almost direct swap.

I am almost 100% sure the transmission would not need any adjustments to work with the V-8 and the bell housing is the same.

Do NOT consider a 454. The 454 is a car/light truck engine and would not be successful in a full size bus.

Any diesel swap is going to be a big deal to swap starting at the fuel tank and going through the transmission. Everything is going to need attention.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 02:43 PM   #7
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 7,949
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post
One of the GM truck Tonawanda big block 366/427 V-8's would be an almost direct swap.

I am almost 100% sure the transmission would not need any adjustments to work with the V-8 and the bell housing is the same.

Do NOT consider a 454. The 454 is a car/light truck engine and would not be successful in a full size bus.

Any diesel swap is going to be a big deal to swap starting at the fuel tank and going through the transmission. Everything is going to need attention.
I had a 454HD (not to be confused with a standard 454) in my last bus.. I thoiught that one was built on the truck block and not the car big-block...

I ran that bus hard and the 454HD held together perfectly even with dual air-conditioner compressors..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 09:10 PM   #8
Bus Nut
 
Carytowncat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Richmond Virginia
Posts: 916
Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
This ole GMC has the 366 big block. Cruised down 64 w at 65mph. Not a super powerful motor but good enough to move her around
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.