Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2018, 11:09 AM   #1

Help with decisions decisions....

I'm considering purchasing this:

Ad says:
"1990 bluebird 28 Passenger - It has a 8.2 Detroit with Allison transmission, handicapped lift and nearly new rubber. It is titled as a motor home. Runs and drives great. "

VIN is: 1GDM6P1F9LV513732

He says it runs good, and the coolant checks out. No rust or discoloring or bubbles in it. I'm waiting on tire codes to determine their age. The pics are vague, at best. My VIN check says "class 7" - wouldn't that make this a big bus?? Bigger than 30'??

Run now, or keep on checking this one out?? He's three hours away, so I'm trying to avoid a useless trip.

I'm looking to buy my first bus for conversion, so here I am, asking the OG's.

Thanks for your time.......

Flawed_RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 09:47 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
My thoughts.

An 8.2 detroit isn't the most desirable out there. That engine isn't the most reliable and has been discontinued for many years so parts may be hard to find.

Class 7 simply means it's 26k-33k gvw. That comes from axle capacity, not bus length. Although your longer busses would typically have a higher gvw, shorter busses can also have a high gvw. Most of your full size busses will be a class 7.

Unless you're lucky, you're going to make a lot of useless trips before you find the right one for you. It's part of the hunt. If it looks good and the price is right, I wouldn't be afraid of it.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 10:00 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I agree with Booyah.

It's not a really "bad" engine nor is it very desirable.

If your goal is to build a cheap "metal tent" and can get that bus really cheap, then I would consider it.

If you are going to build something nice then I would hold out for a better drivetrain.

It took me over a year of hunting and I found the specific drive train that I wanted in a rust-free bus with 180k miles.

I paid about $3400 for mine and had to travel around 600 miles (r/t) to pick it up.

Good luck with your quest.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote