Old 06-16-2016, 06:15 PM   #11
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC 2000
Engine: 5.9
Rated Cap: 83
Give me a call when you get here. Maybe I can help with the bus. Although my bus is still "under construction" I'll give you the tour. Coffee is on me. (814) 525-2532.
Old 06-16-2016, 09:37 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Chevy P-30
Engine: Chevy 454 Big Block
Hmmm... are you talking about the Tuckaseegee Tavern, because he sold that business to someone else and I am not even sure that that business hasn't gone under, too. Otherwise, where do you get a coleslaw burger? I lived there for over a year and never came across such a thing. Nick and Nate's Pizza and Grill opened up by the train station and they are cranking out the best food in town, imho.
mightymainermite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 10:17 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymainermite View Post
...I'll be coming up I-81N when I get her running again.
I'll buy you a Pepsi in Christiansburg VA, just down 81 from Roanoke. Or lunch at a good BBQ place just off the Interstate.
Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 10:23 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Chevy P-30
Engine: Chevy 454 Big Block
@Roadrunner: Awesome, thank you so much! I don't have many acquaintances in Cambria Co. anymore, so thank you again!

Bar-b-que sounds fantastic! I'm getting even more excited now about getting back in the drivers seat! This summer is going to be great!:T hanx:
mightymainermite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 10:24 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymainermite View Post
Hmmm... are you talking about the Tuckaseegee Tavern, because he sold that business to someone else and I am not even sure that that business hasn't gone under, too. Otherwise, where do you get a coleslaw burger? I lived there for over a year and never came across such a thing. Nick and Nate's Pizza and Grill opened up by the train station and they are cranking out the best food in town, imho.
There was a mom n pop place on the way into town up in the mountains. Unless otherwise told, they put coleslaw on EVERY burger that they sold.
I used to have family up there. Haven't been in nearly a decade.
Old 02-08-2017, 03:19 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

I don't want to harp on you too heavily, as I'm sure you've beat yourself up over this already (right?), but you really should have stopped and fixed the first issue you had when you had it. Continuing to drive on only hurt yourself and your skoolie more, not to mention driving without adequate steering or braking... what if an emergency arose and you ended up not being able to swerve to avoid, or stop, and plowed into a family? Your story scares me for the safety of my family.

Alright, that being said... here's my mechanical two cents and a checklist of sorts...
  1. When you get there, check all fluids and note their levels and appearances. Coolant should be full (radiator and overflow tank) and should have a color from antifreeze (green or orange). If low, fill up with 50/50 mix of antifreeze and water. If dark colored, add Radiator Flush to you post-fixed to do list. Oil should be anywhere from amber (new oil) to black (old oil). If it is milky, or chocolate brown you have water in it. This may be due to a coolant leak. Add Oil Change to your post-fixed list. Power Steering fluid should be full. Colors can vary and I have not found great help in problem identifications based upon color alone. Brake fluid should be clear, but can have a tint of color (amber, yellow). If low, add. If dark or cloudy, add Brake Bleed / Fluid Exchange to your post-fix list.
  2. Double check your bolts, nuts, belts, etc. that they are tight and not loose. Best to check them out now prior to starting it up and something breaking from a loose connection.
  3. You need a new battery. Look up the minimum recommended cranking amps for your bus, then buy the biggest cranking amp (cold cranking amps are what really matter) battery you can that will fit in your bus. Don't get a deep cycle, as others have said. If you have the money, go for a maintenance-free type battery. The BMW's battery didn't have the cranking amps needed to turn yours over.
  4. Spark Plugs. Crawl in there and tighten your plugs correctly. Do not over tighten them! Regarding the green corrosion... I wouldn't use that as an indicator of a coolant leak. Things I would look for: white smoke, milky oil, fluid in coolant system "disappearing".
  5. Plug Wires. Make sure you wires are seated correctly on both the distributor cap and the plugs. Unplug and replug them all (one at a time) and "feel" the click when they snap on. No click usually means a bad connection with the wire... consider replacing.
  6. Put a bottle of STA-BIL fuel stabilizer into your tank to get rid of any water or bad mixtures left over from sitting.

Gas engines only require three things to operate: Fuel, Fire, Compression. I lump batteries and starting into the Fire category. If it won't start or won't run, keep these in mind and ask yourself if it's getting all three. If not, you know where to start digging.
lurk is offline   Reply With Quote