Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2017, 04:22 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
Chassis: Cadet
Engine: 5.7 350 gas
Rated Cap: 35 Passenger or 14,500
P30 Gas tank fuel sending unit

We've been striking out left and right with this gas tank issue.

The tank is discontinued.
The sending unit is discontinued.

I think all they still make is a fuel pump.

I ordered a new sending unit for a P30 and the part that arrived does not have the mounting plate and bolt holes like our sending unit we removed.

The new sending unit has a lock collar and does not use bolts.

I'm really trying to figure out a way to get the bus some fuel with a setup that isn't going to limit our range. Everyone immediately says "get a fuel cell" but the largest I've seen are 20-25 gallons and retail for $250-$700 depending on the brand and accessories.

Maybe I'm wrong, but at this point I think we need a new fuel system for the simple fact that all these fuel parts are discontinued. Maybe we can mount something in the old place and use the stock filler neck to somehow fill the new aftermarket tank/s?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. For reference here are the photos of the stock tank and sending unit.

30kdays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 04:40 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Can you post a pic of the new unit and locking cap assembled as they would be? I think you could just make a plate with a new hole and disregard the old hole. Make some gaskets and drill new mounting holes for the plate. Just plug the old lines to it. Seems an easy fix to me.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:41 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
Chassis: Cadet
Engine: 5.7 350 gas
Rated Cap: 35 Passenger or 14,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJohn View Post
Can you post a pic of the new unit and locking cap assembled as they would be? I think you could just make a plate with a new hole and disregard the old hole. Make some gaskets and drill new mounting holes for the plate. Just plug the old lines to it. Seems an easy fix to me.

The new gas tanks have the receiving end of this locking collar on them. I would have to find a flange somewhere or cut one off a different tank.

They look more like this one. No bolts and just a pressure lock collar that locks to the female side of the tank.
30kdays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 11:26 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Not sure if you ever got a to clean out your tank, so I'll share my thoughts. I'm partial towards POR15. I never had any problems with their products. I think Kream is ok, but I know of many people that have had to redo a tanks, because it breaks down after time.
As far as cleaning the tank, I have had good luck dropping a chain in, and shaking the hell out of it. Turn the tank upside, down, and sideways, and shake some more. Pull the chain out, dump the "goodness" out , and repeat till you're satisfied with results. Then follow the directions on the POR15.
I did find that beer or whiskey helped sooth the pain in my arms, after this process.
1olfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 02:54 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Simply make your own flange with a piece of similar metal that will suit mounting somewhere where the wires can reach. Drill and tap it to the tank with an industrial rubber gasket and or some sealant. In that pic the new sending unit is spot welded but some stainless 1/4"bolts will do the trick. Invent your own part, you'll have to make a lot of them building a bus, or shell out the $$$$.
Old 03-09-2017, 04:49 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: Your mom +1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1olfart View Post
I have had good luck dropping a chain in, and shaking the hell out of it. Turn the tank upside, down, and sideways, and shake some more. Pull the chain out, dump the "goodness" out , and repeat till you're satisfied with results.
Strange as it sounds diluted muriatic acid and aquarium pebbles works great too as long as you can get all the pebbles out afterwards...
slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 05:31 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
BBs work well, and recalcitrant ones can be snagged with a magnet upon completion...
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughridge85 View Post
Strange as it sounds diluted muriatic acid and aquarium pebbles works great too as long as you can get all the pebbles out afterwards...
Old 04-28-2019, 05:55 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I swear by Caswell's Tank Sealer, by far the best out there. Most of the old school sealers require a surgically clean surface, Caswell prefers a rusty rough surface and it's Thixotropic properties that make it stick to vertical walls.

For cleaning the inside the best thing I've found was a length of sharp edge chain. Once done just grab one link and pull the whole chain out.

https://www.caswellplating.com/epoxy...nk-sealer.html
Attached Thumbnails
chain2__97299.1549049029.jpg  
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 06:47 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Datum! Good sh1t, Maynard! Looks like it does everything but apply itself!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I swear by Caswell's Tank Sealer, by far the best out there. Most of the old school sealers require a surgically clean surface, Caswell prefers a rusty rough surface and it's Thixotropic properties that make it stick to vertical walls.

For cleaning the inside the best thing I've found was a length of sharp edge chain. Once done just grab one link and pull the whole chain out.

https://www.caswellplating.com/epoxy...nk-sealer.html