Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2012, 11:42 AM   #1

Year: 1994
Engine: 366
Propane to gasoline conversion

hi there, iam new here but it looks like i will find the help i need on here. I have a 1994 gmc topkick truck which had a 427 on propane in it (blown motor) i also have a 1994 bus with a 366 on propane. my plan is to put the 366 into the truck but i would really like to convert it gasoline since its a farm truck and wont go to town very often. both power trains have been removed from vechicles already, my question is what do i need to do or what parts do i need to change over?? the truck used to be on gas so the tank/fuel pump are still there. thanks for any help

northerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:31 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Re: Propane to gasoline conversion

i converted one that i bought at an auction... like 15 yrs ago. had to toss the propane tank stuff and get a fuel tank off of another truck, run the line, etc. and i believe i had to change the intake manifold with the propane set up on it, but i had one of those on a scrap truck. wasn't much money to change everything over, but it took a whole day...
i changed it over because very few people are gonna buy a propane vehicle.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:52 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

take off propane stuff, put a carb on, fuel tank, pump, etc, and change your plugs out to normal gap spec. propane run .040' or something. then get it tuned up.
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:43 PM   #4

Year: 1994
Engine: 366

thanks for your replys, this truck used to be on gas so the tank is still on there. it had the throttle body fuel injection which iam unfamiler with....u say i need to replace the intake manifold too?? or just everthing up from there? iam thinkin just puttin a new carb on there but can i use the fuel pump thats in the tank to feed the carb? thanks for anymore info
northerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:09 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

you can probably just replace the throttle body. after all, it has gas tank as was on gas before. The one i replaced has an intake manifold that wasnt stock and a normal carb wouldnt fit on it, so i change the manifold.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:48 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

There are ECM concerns though.
You cannot use the pump in the tank to feed a carb...it runs at a much higher pressure than a carb requires.

I would NEVER replace a TBI setup with a carb if everything is there.
They are better on fuel, easier on the bores (no gasoline wash-down when you start them) and better power on that setup.
I know a GM wizard that can give some pointers on this.
If you have not done it yet, message me and I will try to help you with it.

I also have an ECM fora 454 (and a perfect running 454 TBI engine to boot)

I think if you are done already, a follow up here letting folks know what you ran into would be much appreciated.
caseythenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:09 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Local roofing company had problems with an electric fuel pump on an old international carburated. Same style cab as the school buses but a grain truck. The plain jane fuel pump that they put on was forcing too much fuel in etc and if they forgot it on it just keep pouring gas into the engine and it flooded the crank case etc. What they had to do was between the carb and the pump was to put in a regulator with a return line. that way the carb only got as much fuel pressure as an old pump style fuel pump would provide. runs like a champ now.
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote