Old 06-12-2017, 10:12 PM   #81
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
on my new cars I go by the computer or by time.. when the computer says or I go every 6 months.. the dealer on my silverado said I can go a year in it or when the comoputer says.. the computer seems programmed for about 9000 miles or so.. I have done every 6 months which has been about 3000 miles ironically.. (its 2 years old and only 12k miles)

my Jeep wranglers I always did by the computer which was usually close to 7500 bvut it varied.. the computers monitor driving habits, average RPMS how hard you drive it etc..

My roomate had a honda Fit (09) and he drove it 100k in 3 years and went by the comoputer and had Zero issues out of that car.. he then gfot a Civic and drove it about 95k (2012) in 3 years and no issues going by the computer..

the 3k rule came about when engines were carbeurated and less efficient.. the chances of heavy carbon deposits and also unburned fuel in the oil was very high.. which detoerioated the oil much quicker.. plus many of todays cars are using synthetic blends as recommended by manufactuers.. the blends tend to last longer, couple with cleaner burning engines means not necessary to go 3k..

but if it makes you most comfortable to do 3k then I say do it...

-Christopher
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:33 PM   #82
Bus Nut

Chassis: GMC or Chevrolet, I hope
Engine: gasser probably
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
on my new cars I go by the computer or by time.. when the computer says or I go every 6 months.. the dealer on my silverado said I can go a year in it or when the comoputer says.. the computer seems programmed for about 9000 miles or so.. I have done every 6 months which has been about 3000 miles ironically.. (its 2 years old and only 12k miles)

my Jeep wranglers I always did by the computer which was usually close to 7500 bvut it varied.. the computers monitor driving habits, average RPMS how hard you drive it etc..

My roomate had a honda Fit (09) and he drove it 100k in 3 years and went by the comoputer and had Zero issues out of that car.. he then gfot a Civic and drove it about 95k (2012) in 3 years and no issues going by the computer..

the 3k rule came about when engines were carbeurated and less efficient.. the chances of heavy carbon deposits and also unburned fuel in the oil was very high.. which detoerioated the oil much quicker.. plus many of todays cars are using synthetic blends as recommended by manufactuers.. the blends tend to last longer, couple with cleaner burning engines means not necessary to go 3k..

but if it makes you most comfortable to do 3k then I say do it...

-Christopher
up to now I went every 3k because thats what most people said. i didnt really put much thought into it until now that I plan to start doing it myself.

Seems like I'll go full synthetic and just change it based on the computer for the honda fit 2010.
I dont think the 2005 toyota corolla has that feature.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:54 PM   #83
Bus Nut

Chassis: GMC or Chevrolet, I hope
Engine: gasser probably
So is there a possibility that I might kill myself welding with this thing?
Planning on playing around with small projects.

https://www.amazon.com/Goplus-Welder...s=welding&th=1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 61Rsnym0meL._SL1200_.jpg (92.0 KB, 3 views)
Old 06-18-2017, 09:52 PM   #84
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 8.3/Allison MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Just be careful not to inhale the fumes if you're welding anything galvanized and you'll be fine.
Rameses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 06:05 AM   #85
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
You can get a hobart for as little as $250. I'd stay away from the chinese stuff and if you do go cheap, get it from HF so its at least somewhere close if it doesn't work.