Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2010, 07:57 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: 65
Re: 8.2 Detroit Diesel Questions

Think about the amount of miles you are actually going to put on it. If it runs ok when you get it, chances are it will outlast the bus itself. They arent regarded as good engines but you can pick up remans and running takeouts for next to nothing, just like the 6.2 and 6.5. There is always good and bad to everything.

kamoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:59 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Engine opinions for sale reasonable

The engine reviews on any schoolie site may be just a bit distorted. Do ya wanna buy a bridge? This is not the best forum for discussing the merits of diesel engines. I am 72 years and have used a lot of my life being a mechanic. Creating a rating for diesel engines is nearly impossible. There are no bad engines or the bad engines would no longer be built. Poor use is difficult to determine. It is impossible to discover how each engine was used or abused in the real world. All engine makers provide their respective specifications, that can be modified. Most all school buses and others are purchased thru a bidding process. It would not be wise to base a bus/engine purchase based on a few opinions. Go to a school bus repair shop and talk to the mechanics. And again their information maybe biased. My point, I guess, is to check each bus individually not as opinion. One bus I bought, I thot was the absolute best bus for a RV. The bus is a Thomas and has every desirable feature. I was very connected to this bus. Out on the road, the bus was very weak, as it could climb a tree but got stuck at 51MPH. After spending $2K to change the rear gears to a 4:10 ratio, the bus will go 75MPH but takes about 2 days to achieve that speed. Passing another vehicle really takes some serious planning. Later, I got a Crown bus then a Int Blue Bird. I have had 14 buses, and converted almost 2. Frank Twin Falls, Id.
frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:04 PM   #3

Year: 1995
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Re: 8.2 Detroit Diesel Questions - Owner Input Sought

Quote:
the bus will go 75MPH but takes about 2 days to achieve that speed.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:13 AM   #4

Year: 1987
Chassis: F700
Engine: 8.2 litre Detroit diesel
Rated Cap: 72

Ahhh...the DD 8.2....

I have had my bus (b700) for around two years now.
It has around 150k km on the clock.

The engine always starts easily, and has reasonable power when you consider it is a 190 hp engine in a 24,000 lb rig. It is quite loud but I also need to insulate and carpet and fully seal the firewall which would really help.

These engines are significantly more mechanically complex than most, but electriacally more simple. All motor functions are controlled mechanically, such as idle, injection timing etc...there are no sensors.

Many mechanics, even qualified experts find these engines intimidating. The tools required to set the injection timing are rare. I would not trust most shops, HD or otherwise to work on this engine without speaking to the tech first and confirming experience with this specific engine. It is very different than most other diesels. A guy that has done 50 head gaskets on cars and light trucks does not have the knowledge to do one on this engine.

Last fall on a trip to the west coast, I noticed sludge forming on my oil filler cap and excess coolant consumption...I assumed it was the head gasket. I took it to Cullen Detroit Diesel in Surrey BC, Canada, where I found out that one of the "older fellows" had a lot of experience on the 8.2. He diagnosed my problem as leaky injectors allowing coolant to enter the oil. He replaced the injector seals, head gaskets, and all bearings on the bottom end. Over $7000 later I was on my way and it's run really well since.

This brings to mind a couple of skooly observations, firstly, if you are trying to go cheap a full size may be a bad choice, considering a tire is at least $300, a new rad close to $1000 and a tow costs as much as a small car in decent shape. Second that the merits of this engine are relative to the skill and understanding of the person working on it: If you try to do the head gasket, and then never can get it to run right again because you cannot set the injection timing correctly, you will conclude it is a crappy engine. From what I have heard, many trucks witrh these engines get repowered on the advice of a tech who does not understand the 8.2 and therefore suggests replacement with a more easily understood engine.
busboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:09 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford B-600
Engine: Ford 370 Propane
Rated Cap: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON
Quote:
Originally Posted by busboy
He diagnosed my problem as leaky injectors allowing coolant to enter the oil.
How is that possible?
Head gasket possibly, but not leaky injectors. Either way it sounds like it is fixed.
jkindt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 04:30 PM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 1988
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 8.2L Detroit N/A, Allison
Rated Cap: 65

The Silver Snail has the "dreaded 8.2 DD." So far, it's been a great motor. The odometer shows 44000, but I was told it had 239000 when I bought it in December. Other than the air compressor going out, we've had no problems. That wasn't related to it being an 8.2L. The Snail's 8.2 is non-turbo, but it's not too bad. We just took her to Laramie, WY (elevation 8000 feet or so) from Goodland, KS (elevation 3500 feet). It was quite a climb...we dropped to 35 mph several times. We could change the gearing, but I doubt we'll mess with it. I wasn't in a hurry anyway!

Like someone else said, it's kinda loud but some insulation in the firewall might take care of that. Our ceiling isn't an acoustic ceiling so it's just LOUD anyway. I've driven a few of the school district's buses...3116 Cat (hate that bus!), dt408, and 5.9 cummins. I like them just fine. But my 88 GMC is just the best!

I was really leery of buying a 8.2 DD as well. I'm glad (for now) that we did. I have to do some maintenance here this summer, I might change my tune! But we do get nearly 10 mph on flat ground. I haven't had any issues with it overheating yet...kept on eye on the gauge and all was well.

Best of luck!
Ben.
NewSkewlHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 12:07 PM   #7

Year: 1995
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

Quote:
I like the idea of a skoolie for the following reasons.....

1) There's more than 1/16" tube steel and fiberglass between you and the outside.
2) A regular RV says "I'm a prefab weenie who can afford this -- rob me" to would-be thieves.
3) A skoolie gives a much more low-key impression.
4) A skoolie seems much more likely to be protected by a 12-gauge....

Which are all very good reasons....
Those are funny, but I don't how you came up with a couple of those. Like number 2, is that a slogan for the RV trade association? "I'm a prefab weenie-rob me!" And number 4, while it may be true, I certainly hope that's not the impression we give.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:26 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466

I think he's right...most thieves would probably overlook a schoolie because they'll assume we couldn't affor a "real" rv. As far as the 12 gauge, I don't mind people thinking that. Mine will be protected by a 9mil, but to each their own

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal
Quote:

1) There's more than 1/16" tube steel and fiberglass between you and the outside.
2) A regular RV says "I'm a prefab weenie who can afford this -- rob me" to would-be thieves.

Those are funny, but I don't how you came up with a couple of those. Like number 2, is that a slogan for the RV trade association? "I'm a prefab weenie-rob me!" And number 4, while it may be true, I certainly hope that's not the impression we give.

Brutus
JakeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 02:05 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: 6.6L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeze Wagon

Personally the 7.62X39s and .357s do the trick for me....
Old 06-16-2010, 06:25 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1031
...Personally the 7.62X39s and .357s do the trick for me....
I used to have a 7.62x39 and it was amazing! Had a whole bunch of Chinese military FMJ ammunition that would shoot right through anything that would get in it's way.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:22 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane
CANADA, CANADA, CANADA....in your dreams.
You're a good dude.......your spreading it a little thick here. You know the queen won't let you arm yourself.
My betrothed has her own as well. She's shot out the groin area of the target many times much to her glee.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:54 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Chassis: IH S1723
Engine: IH V345 Gas V8
Rated Cap: 66

Quote:
...My betrothed has her own as well. She's shot out the groin area of the target many times much to her glee.
...bet you remember to pick up that loaf of bread & gallon of milk on the way home, huh?

Wow, has this thread drifted...sorry...
Old 06-16-2010, 08:57 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff
Quote:
...My betrothed has her own as well. She's shot out the groin area of the target many times much to her glee.
...bet you remember to pick up that loaf of bread & gallon of milk on the way home, huh?
She calls it "motivation", I call it "personal terrorism". I need a bullet-proof cup.......

Yeah, sorry for drifting......
Old 06-16-2010, 09:29 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane
CANADA, CANADA, CANADA....in your dreams.
You're a good dude.......your spreading it a little thick here. You know the queen won't let you arm yourself.
The gun was a brand new, fresh in the wrapper (and soaked in oil) SKS made by Norinco in China. It was the only military rifle I have ever owned and it was by far one of my favorites. For some strange reason I can get an SKS but our government won't allow me to get a real AK-47... Oh well, same ammunition.

...yes, we are a little off topic aren't we.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:11 AM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1984
Engine: 8.2L Detroit Diesel

I know this one got off topic.... but I wanted to add that my biggest complaint about the 8.2 is the noise. Anyone considering a flat front, like mine, where you sit right next to the engine. You have three options: 1: Run away 2: Spend some money on sound insulation 3: Go deaf. I have put on about 20k miles since I bought mine 2 years ago.

Mechanically I have had no problems with my 8.2 turbo. It is under powered (but no more than any other school bus). Mine gets about 9.4mpg if I drive on the governor (8.5 in the mountains). It always starts first turn, never given me the slightest grief. The advise I got from my diesel mechanic, is maintain it well. Make sure it NEVER EVER overheats. It should last forever. His parting words, however, were if it blows up in a big way....don't waste any money fixing it.....find a replacement engine.

Graham
Intrepid Cycles http://www.intrepidequipment.com - Recumbents and handcycles
grampsbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 03:43 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Texan by birth USMC took me by the long route to N.C still stuck here and my schoolie is taking my family back home even if it is at 49 mph.
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 01:14 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Bus nut I am originally from Kilgore,tx and wife from corpus! We ended up in NC as a product of the marine corp. we want to go home and said we were 17-yrs ago and work wise I got stuck here! The Jolly Roger need's to make 1 trip from NC to TX but I can only do 49 downhill???
I have an 86 Wayne with an 8.2 paired with an at545 and an eaton rear geared to 6.50
The bus barn was adamant about changing the rear gear's?
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 04:42 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
Bus nut I am originally from Kilgore,tx and wife from corpus! We ended up in NC as a product of the marine corp. we want to go home and said we were 17-yrs ago and work wise I got stuck here! The Jolly Roger need's to make 1 trip from NC to TX but I can only do 49 downhill???
I have an 86 Wayne with an 8.2 paired with an at545 and an eaton rear geared to 6.50
So did you change them yet?

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 08:06 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
put 4.11 or 4.44 in the rear. And join me in the slow lane at around 55-65 mph.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 09:01 PM   #20
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Tomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
put 4.11 or 4.44 in the rear. And join me in the slow lane at around 55-65 mph.
Hey, if you look at it my way that's pretty fast. The fastest speed limit in Canada is 110 kph, or 68mph. With most roads being 100 kph (62 mph) that's pretty damn fast.

I think I have 4.44 rears and a no OD manual, we made 100 kph when the bus was unloaded on the way home from purchase. I figure once I buy my water tanks, install generator, fuel for the generator, and buy a 7000 lb trailer I'll make 80-85 kph.
Hank's P-O-S is offline   Reply With Quote