Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2017, 11:54 AM   #41
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 8.2 Detroit Deisel
Rated Cap: 6 carbon units 1 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
produster; Please don't think of our comments as just being negative. People are actually talking about your oil, which is a win for you in a way. We certainly have sceptics here. Most of us are not exactly wealthy, so normal oil changes are already a significant expense. Risking a bus that takes a financial investment as well as about two years of labor out of our lives is something we're pretty careful about risking. This group does take in new products, but usually that's after one of the group has success with a particular product.

Any chance of a product demonstration? They used to do that with Slick-50. Maybe I missed it, but are you using this oil in your 8.2 detroit diesel? Maybe you could change the oil in CBs bus, if he'll let you. CB brings a lot of useful new products to the table for discussion. What do you say CB? Are you feeling experimental?
Hi Robin, I do not take what has been said as negative at all. We jokingly call it snake oil but that makes it hard to sell. Yes I see any talk as a positive. I just wanted to put it out there to talk about it and not be negative. I totally relate to the labor aspect. I left my home to work on the road for 5 years so I could do what I did. Revamp one car and build another from scratch along with doing some other things I have wanted. To a point I chased my dream. So as with all the others here, money is a premium.

Yes I have it in my 8.2 DD I have about 5000 miles on it so far. I will hopefully put another 3000 miles on it this spring and summer with the race schedule I am planning on. I can work with CB on doing a change if needed.

I am willing to discuss this to anyone. As I said I do all this out of my own pocket as you all do too. I am a big skeptic and was a huge skeptic of the oil when told about it. But I am a believer in it enough to have invested to become a distributor and to work with the owner to be a sales rep.

produster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 11:58 AM   #42
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
what about oil-leaks? have you experienced any increase / decrease, or heard reports of either?

I spend a lot of time in Columbus Ohio so im not too far...
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 12:08 PM   #43
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
At $62 a gallon plus shipping, that's gonna be a HARD sell without real world demos.
Maybe some extra snake in there for that price?
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 12:14 PM   #44
Bus Geek

how long is it supposed to go between drains? it might make sense if its 20k or so without a time limit...
-Christopher
Old 05-03-2017, 12:28 PM   #45
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
im up for new products, im using a newer AMSoil coolant now.. ive just been told by more than one person if I put one of these high performance oils in my 150k engine, that im likely to increase the likliehood of oil leaks... granted an engine technically should be tight and not leak.. but things age.. and while I suppose the "correct" thing to do would be to pull the engine and rebuild it when it leaks, I take the easy way out and run Rotella T, in which the engine leaks very minor..(many days I drive I have zero drops on the ground.. other days a few) as i dont want to risk having to rebuild what is otherwise a perfectly good engine.. just because I poured a new oil in that "cleaned" everything up inside..

I think alot are in the same boat.. or similar.. im one of the "lucky" ones that is capable of rebuilding an engine myself... others if they started leaking like crazy would be out of luck..

I only mention this because that seems to be the discussion that always comes up with high performance oils.. as it can and does happen, alas why you might not see a ton of enthusiasm toward a new oil product.

it may not cause my engine to leak any more or could even make it leak less, I have no idea.. I keep pretty good tabs on the internal parameters of the engine vias the computer screen I have.. i would know pretty quickly if my oil and coolant temps dropped... and whether oil pressures were higher or lower...c

-Christopher
You will usually see an increase in oil leakage on an older engine that has used a blend for its life and then goes to full synthetic. As for the whys, I have no clue. I have some thoughts but they are mine and no proof aside from my thoughts.

As for cleaning up, I know our oil keeps sludge from building up. It will remove over time the sludge build up. as for making it leak more I can not say either way. I like you have the skill sets to do the maint to stop leaks.

I know that I would use 1 qts of oil every 1000 miles or so. Leak or burn not sure, most likely both. I have dropped to only half a quart every 1000 miles. I also had a seep leak on my daily at the turbo that has gone away. due to the oil I have to say yes as I have not touched the line.

We are seeing in other diesels aside from mine that the engine seals up well enough that the oil remains blue. Our oil is dyed blue. We have a diesel that has 5k miles on it and the oil is still blue. Most will turn black after a 100 miles or so.
Old 05-03-2017, 12:33 PM   #46
Bus Geek

My $25 oil change has around 500 miles or so on it- still golden colored.
On a highend race machine $20 a quart oil may make sense. On a wheezing, leaky, older diesel that takes 5-7 gallons per change and consumes quarts between changes this stuff is a total waste, imo.
Old 05-03-2017, 12:55 PM   #47
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I'll beta test any oil, as long as it meets the basic requirements. I run oil that's $25 a 5 gallon bucket.
I've been to petroleum institute training school. The fancy oil is just marketing. Maybe it has less friction, etc... but that's not gonna buy you ONE SINGLE MPH in a bus.
But I've got two buses that are available for product demo. My 40 footer with DT466 does 62. My shorty with 444E does 75.
CB that is nice to hear you are willing to test. Our oil is not that inexpensive. We use API oil to start then add our technology to the oil. the thing that most people do not understand is that the friction modifiers that are added to oils are gone by the 5th or 6th heat cycle. Ours stays through like time of the oil. Part of the technology used.

As for the gaining of 2mph I can only go off the GPS speedo unit I have on my phone. Going to AZ from MI and from AZ to TX and back on the flats I was running 62mph. After I changed to the new oil I drove from AZ to NC, the running I did in NC and from NC to MI and back then a final run up to MI where I live now at 64mph on the flats according to the GPS speedo. That was the only change made to the bus. Gas mileage was about 8.2 on all those trips then after the change it went to about 10.1mpg.

If you are interested in trying it message me and we can see if we can get something worked out.
Old 05-03-2017, 01:03 PM   #48
Bus Geek

I'll try it, but I ain't got $400 to change my oil.
Maybe you had a tailwind and a favorable grade, but no way oil is buying anyone 2 mph in a school bus.
Lets say you REALLY have a MIRACLE here. at the price, I could just buy a bunch of performance upgrades and fuel for the $375 difference in price for oil changes every 6-10 thousand miles. For the price of a few oil changes I could re-gear and get more mph.
If your serious, I'm sending a PM.

Old 05-03-2017, 01:06 PM   #49
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
My $25 oil change has around 500 miles or so on it- still golden colored.
On a highend race machine $20 a quart oil may make sense. On a wheezing, leaky, older diesel that takes 5-7 gallons per change and consumes quarts between changes this stuff is a total waste, imo.

CB I agree but I have seen the benefits of using it. To me the cost is worth it if I am getting at least 10% better mileage and oil consumption is down 50% If I find the leak, it is on the list of to dos, I think I will consume less.

As for $20 a quart, that is high. We are a little more than others but since you would get it directly through me, we can work something out, that is not for just CB that is for anyone. We offer rearend lube, manual trans lube and grease.
Old 05-03-2017, 01:10 PM   #50
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
I'll try it, but I ain't got $400 to change my oil.
Maybe you had a tailwind and a favorable grade, but no way oil is buying anyone 2 mph in a school bus.
Lets say you REALLY have a MIRACLE here. at the price, I could just buy a bunch of performance upgrades and fuel for the $375 difference in price for oil changes every 6-10 thousand miles. For the price of a few oil changes I could re-gear and get more mph.
If your serious, I'm sending a PM.

Send away. I will answer tonight. need to finish up here at work. No clue on the MPH, I can only tell you what I know. same road from AZ to TX and back then back as I went to NC. favorable tail wind I can see for a day maybe not the 2.5 it took me. Again I can only tell that I have seen.

Looking forward to hearing from you.
Old 05-03-2017, 01:11 PM   #51
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by produster View Post
CB I agree but I have seen the benefits of using it. To me the cost is worth it if I am getting at least 10% better mileage and oil consumption is down 50% If I find the leak, it is on the list of to dos, I think I will consume less.

As for $20 a quart, that is high. We are a little more than others but since you would get it directly through me, we can work something out, that is not for just CB that is for anyone. We offer rearend lube, manual trans lube and grease.
Rear diff fluid is the only oil change that might net noticeable results.
I run Amsoil Severe Gear in my Subaru, but in my bus its gonna be my trusty , cheap Rural King stuff so that I can afford to change it.
Have you talked about your oil on Bobistheoilguy.com??
Old 05-03-2017, 01:28 PM   #52
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 8.3/Allison MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:

...we have the data to back it.

Quote:

As for the gaining of 2mph I can only go off the GPS speedo unit I have on my phone.

Rameses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 01:46 PM   #53
Bus Geek

is this stuff AMSoil?
Old 05-03-2017, 01:51 PM   #54
Bus Nut

Quote:
is this stuff AMSoil?
No, it's TriboDyn.
Old 05-03-2017, 02:02 PM   #55
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
is this stuff AMSoil?
No it is not.

Ramses you are taking that out of context. We have the test data to show better MPG, the MPH was in my bus. with only myself seeing it I can not claim that as gospel nor will I.

CB, no to the oil web site. We have many grades of oil so we can cover the Subi too...

I got your PM and will answer that when tonight at home. Got lucky boss just went to a meeting so I could jump back on.
Old 05-03-2017, 02:15 PM   #56
Bus Geek

Quote:
No it is not.

Ramses you are taking that out of context. We have the test data to show better MPG, the MPH was in my bus. with only myself seeing it I can not claim that as gospel nor will I.

CB, no to the oil web site. We have many grades of oil so we can cover the Subi too...

I got your PM and will answer that when tonight at home. Got lucky boss just went to a meeting so I could jump back on.
If its TRULY what you say it is, send a quart to the experts on Bobistheoilguy.
That's THE site for extensive discussion of engine oils.
They go into what base stocks are used, what additives are present, all that stuff. Since its patented then you have no reason to keep the info a secret.
For that price folks are gonna want to know EVERY technical detail of what the oil is comprised of.
Old 05-03-2017, 02:21 PM   #57
Bus Nut

Quote:

Not at all out of context. That was your direct response to a post questioning the validity of your claim of increased top speed.
Old 05-03-2017, 05:23 PM   #58
Bus Geek

so you are located in michigan the maker appears ot be located in kentucky.. if you want real data. then fill uop one of my busses (for the sdame cost as dino oil)... and I'll give you data from another source.. I run between columbus ohio and st pete / orlando / miami all the time in my busses.. I set the cruise control at 64 and go...

my guess is I wont see alot of difference that cant be traced to other factors.. my MPG varies at 1 MPG more than once on those trips due to several factors..

1. Wind - headwind vs tailwind greatly affects a school bus.
2. Temperature
a. colder temperatures = more dense air charge - increased efficiency
b. Hotter temperatures = more radiator fan operation - yes it matters.
c. Hotter temperatures = More A/C usage.
3. rain - rain can go either way.. it creates extra drag but also may cause you to drive slower.
4. Traffic- slowing down for busy cities or in construction zones will affect fuel economy.

and of course im assuming the same route used.. whiuch very typically on my trips I take one of 2 routes.. ive done this trip probably 8 times or more in the last year in the busses, and a few times in my cars.. my MPG is never the same...

-Christopher
Old 05-03-2017, 07:47 PM   #59
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameses View Post
The data I was refering to was the increased MPG. the MPH is only off the GPS speedo on my phone.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:49 PM   #60

Year: 87
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: Detroit Diesel 8.2L "Fuel Pincher" V8
Rated Cap: 77
How does one become familiar enough to work on it? YouTube seems too subjective. Pennies are precious and I'm inspired to learn. I'm new to all of this and frankly never cared about engines, etc. before buying a 87 Ford B700 Thomas with DD 8.2. This is my first post. The bus has a 65 mph top speed. Is there hope for more power, or don't bother?
Road Sloth is offline   Reply With Quote