Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2017, 09:39 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: New Flyer
Chassis: D45HF "Viking"
Engine: 11.1L Detroit Diesel S60
Rated Cap: 51,600
Detroit Diesel Series 60 DDEC Cruise Control Module?

Anybody know if the DDEC cruise control is a separate module or if it is integrated into the ECU?

If it is integrated into the ECU, how do I tell where the control signals go in?

Thanks!

MarkyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 10:56 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyDee View Post
Anybody know if the DDEC cruise control is a separate module or if it is integrated into the ECU?

If it is integrated into the ECU, how do I tell where the control signals go in?

Thanks!
Which DDEC? If it's DDEC II which I have, all it takes is a simple command through a Pro-Link or DDR scanner to turn it on or off. Cruise is part of DDEC itself, not an extra add-on module. I have the cable loom and connector for Cruise already attached to my Vehicle Interface Harness next to its 30-pin ECM connector, so if I wanted Cruise it would be simple(ish) to reinstall and activate it. However, I hate and detest Cruise Control, so I won't ever be doing that!

I strongly recommend that you buy the appropriate DDEC Troubleshooting Manual for whatever version of DDEC you have, and a Pro-Link 9000 scanner with the appropriate cartridge so you can then clear codes and reset operating parameters. Pro-Links are cheap - I paid only $225 for mine, complete with a brand-new DDEC II / III cartridge and owner's manual, a printer and RS-232 cable, the 12-pin vehicle adapter for the cable's round Deutsch connector, the 12VDC power connector (that you don't need for DDEC because it's self-powered from the ECM), and a carrying case. They're often on eBay.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 04:09 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

i recomend getting book to rebuild those two stroke detroits, as well as the few special tools needed for the engine. (not to mention forklift as the engine assy is heavy...
Old 06-22-2017, 05:50 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John View Post
Which DDEC? If it's DDEC II which I have, all it takes is a simple command through a Pro-Link or DDR scanner to turn it on or off. Cruise is part of DDEC itself, not an extra add-on module. I have the cable loom and connector for Cruise already attached to my Vehicle Interface Harness next to its 30-pin ECM connector, so if I wanted Cruise it would be simple(ish) to reinstall and activate it. However, I hate and detest Cruise Control, so I won't ever be doing that!

I strongly recommend that you buy the appropriate DDEC Troubleshooting Manual for whatever version of DDEC you have, and a Pro-Link 9000 scanner with the appropriate cartridge so you can then clear codes and reset operating parameters. Pro-Links are cheap - I paid only $225 for mine, complete with a brand-new DDEC II / III cartridge and owner's manual, a printer and RS-232 cable, the 12-pin vehicle adapter for the cable's round Deutsch connector, the 12VDC power connector (that you don't need for DDEC because it's self-powered from the ECM), and a carrying case. They're often on eBay.

John
I'm almost sure its a DDEC 2, but the bus was built in 1999 and according to Wikipedia, Detroit Diesel rev'ed to the 3 in 1993. I have been unable to find information on how to tell the difference between 2 and 3 visually (I have no electronic tools yet - suggestions other than the Pro-Link?).

I'm with you on Cruise, but there are times on long trips in cars not equipped that my foot starts physically hurting and I have to, ahem, do something else . The driver controls on this bus are different enough that I can't do what, ahem, I do, so I have to look into wiring the cruise.

Can you please post a picture of your wiring loom so I have a reference for what I'm looking for on my engine?

Thank You!
Old 06-22-2017, 05:54 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chev49 View Post
i recomend getting book to rebuild those two stroke detroits, as well as the few special tools needed for the engine. (not to mention forklift as the engine assy is heavy...
Mine is the 11.1 L four-stroke Detroit Diesel series 60. I specifically stayed away from the two-stroke.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk
Old 06-22-2017, 06:55 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I thought DDEC 2 was J1708 (6 pin gray connector), and DDEC III is J1939 - the 9 pin green connector.
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 06:59 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I thought DDEC 2 was J1708 (6 pin gray connector), and DDEC III is J1939 - the 9 pin green connector.
-Christopher
I just looked at the ECU on my bus and it has connectors on both ends. The wikipedia article states the DDEC 3 and above have connectors on both ends, while earlier models only have the connectors on one end.

Oh, and the electricals show J1939 coming from the ECU, so if what you say is correct, then I'm pretty confident that this is at least a DDEC 3.

I still would like to get my hands on an ECU monitor of some sort....

Old 06-22-2017, 07:06 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
you have diagnostics connectors at both ends of the ECU? or thats the main connectors for the controls..

the connector I referenced is the diagnostic connector where you would connect a scan tool the the proscan mentioned.

its possible to have more than one diagnostic connector on a system as it is a data bus so you can insert more than one diagnostic tool at a time as long as they dont run on the same node address as each other..

I boight a device called a VMSpc which is a Monitor-only device.. (youve probably seen it in some of my videos or pics).. mine is a J1708 version but it is made in a J1939 version also.. its claim to fame is not to be a programmer but simoply to display engine parameters in a nice format for a dash display..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 08:52 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
you have diagnostics connectors at both ends of the ECU? or thats the main connectors for the controls..

the connector I referenced is the diagnostic connector where you would connect a scan tool the the proscan mentioned.

its possible to have more than one diagnostic connector on a system as it is a data bus so you can insert more than one diagnostic tool at a time as long as they dont run on the same node address as each other..

I boight a device called a VMSpc which is a Monitor-only device.. (youve probably seen it in some of my videos or pics).. mine is a J1708 version but it is made in a J1939 version also.. its claim to fame is not to be a programmer but simoply to display engine parameters in a nice format for a dash display..

-Christopher
No, I meant that the module has two coastlines with connectors (not just diagnostic), instead of just one coastline with connectors (like DDEC 2).