Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2006, 01:57 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 International diesel
Rated Cap: 60
Diesel engine questions. 8.2?

I am dead set on getting a diesel school bus, but I have some questions. One of the first things I will do is convert it to run on veggie oil. I have heard that the Detroit 8.2 is an excellent engine for veggie oil. Is this true? What other diesels are good for veggie oil?

Which diesel engines should I AVOID? I don't want a dog. I'd like to be able to cruise at 65 mph at least. I do a lot of highway driving, but it's pretty flat everywhere I go (Oklahoma). I realize my tranny and rear end has a lot to do with cruise speed as well.

I see buses that say T444 and 3208 or DT466. How do I know what size motors these are? Are these any good? I want to buy the perfect bus for me the first time. I don't want to do a conversion and wish I had a different engine or something like that.

Also, how many miles do you think is too many miles for a diesel bus? I see buses with 90,000 miles and buses with 250,000 miles.

Thanks for your thoughts! Matt

https://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...DSC02426-1.jpg
KC10Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 08:35 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77
If you don't want a dog, run away from the 8.2 Detroit as fast as you can. These engines are fragile & underpowered (the turbos are true hand grenades) best suited for sale by the pound as scrap. Even when running right, 65MPH is pretty much a pipe dream.

The DT466 (466 cubic inches, about 7.6 litres), built by International, is far any away the best medium-duty diesel ever built, bar none--500,000+ miles isn't that unusual in a big commercial truck. They came out in the mid-70's & are still being produced. It's a big, low-end grunt engine, happiest below 2000RPM; usually governed 25-2800. It willingly runs ion the governor all day, but is happiest a bit lower. If you can find one--ideally a pre-1994 mechanical version for WVO; 1995-present engines are DT466E, and are all-computerized--grab it. They are fully rebuildable (sleeved cylinders), direct-injection turbo diesels--it's a big inline-six. The DT408 is a smaller version--also durable, though kind of thin on power.

The T444E is a turbocharged diesel V8, also from International, 444 cubic inches (7.3 litres), essentially the Ford PowerStroke with different injection system. It ran, IIRC, 1995-2003. Moreso than the 466, this engine likes to rev--governed ~2800, seems happy to spin 2500 all day. They have their glitches (mainly, glow plugs & cavitation), but are pretty good, though not holding a candle to the DT466. The biggie is cavitation: without the coolant additive (easy to test for), the cylinder walls will get eaten away. This means new engine time--it's usually not even rebuildable. No SCA in the coolant? Walk away unless you're willing to repower. There were a few bad batches of thermostats floating around---not a difficult fix, though the result of ignoring it can be spectacularly bad (seized engine).

The 3208 is a BIG (~980ci, 16 litres) diesel V8, made by Caterpillar, usually seen in pushers (especially Thomas Saf-T-Liners). It was dropped after 1992. Not a BAD engine at all, but not as much power as you'd expect for its huge size. It's a very low revver--1900-2000RPM, IIRC, is about it. The higher the power, the more concern you need to excercise--they're tough, but neglect, excessive ether, or stupidity (or all three) will kill them. They're VERY smoky when cold, especially without a turbo. It's alarming, but normal. If it's running OK, but sounds like an athsmatic cow, the injection timing is off--not unusual. You need a GOOD Cat mechaniuc to set it...try hitting a Cat shop & asking to talk to the oldest guy there (this is an old-school engine).

Mileage? I wouldn't worry about any mileage on a 466--it is truly a million-miler in something as light as a school bus. I've seen several T444E's with 300,000+...maintainence is CRITICAL on this engine. Maintained, they could go 500,000+. Neglected, I've seen them killed in <100K. The 3208 is a crapshoot...some just keep going, some, well, DON'T. Ether will kill them--the rings are a bit fragile. Bottom line: the cash to have a truck shop look everything over (not just the engine) is worth it.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 01:39 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Engine: 7.3 International diesel
Rated Cap: 60
Wow! Thanks for the lengthy reply! The info I am getting off of THIS website is what I'm using to make my decision. I really appreciate it! So you're saying that if I want to run WVO, a 1994 or older DT466 is better than the DT466E? I've seen buses for sale that say the engine is a 466 diesel. Is that most likely a Detroit DT466? Does anybody else make a 466? Again, thanks for the info! Matt
https://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...DSC02426-1.jpg
KC10Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 09:48 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

The Detroit Diesel Series 40 is 466ci. It's an International DT466E painted green--identical to the rest of the 466E's.

Everything I've seen & heard about WVO says that mechanical engines are easier to adapt than electronic ones. Also, the 466 is usually cheaper than the 466E. Any big-truck shop can service either engine---it's probably the most common MDT engine in the country, by a very wide margin. Next time you see an International truck, look at the engine badge on the side. Probably 85-90% of them will say "DT466" or "DT466E". The 1979 IH S1700 wrecker at work runs a DT466--it's been around a LONG time (which also means parts are pretty cheap).

Seems they did pretty good with that tractor engine 40 years ago.
Old 06-25-2006, 10:45 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Here is what Greg Archambault has to say about engines. He is by far the skoolie expert. If anybody would like to email him direct his address is mailto:gregarchambault@yahoo.com.

"The 8.2L is one of my favorite engines, and it is one of the safest to convert to vegetable oil. Why? NO INJECTOR PUMP! If something is going to go wrong with a diesel on veggy oil, it is generally the injector pump!

The 8.2L is not the most durable engine ever put in a school bus. Still, it is a very good engine! AND, just because it wasn't the most durable in a school bus doesn't mean it isn't a good engine for running down the highway. School bus use is unique... stop and go, lots of idling, etc. We don't use our buses like that! Heck, even a 5.9L Cummins was a good engine in a school bus... but I wouldn't want one for running up and down the highway all the time, and they have the worst injector pumps of any engine out there. I can change one with one hand tied behind my back in the dark! On veggy oil, they really fail you!!

The turbocharged 8.2 is completely different from the naturally aspirated. BOTH are very good engines! The natural will give better fuel mileage, in general, yet I just drove a turbocharged 8.2 from OH to FL and averaged 14.8 mpg towing my 5000 pound toad. I ran 50 mph faithfully (got honked at and and saw a lot of fingers), but saved a fortune in fuel. The turbos have the ability to burn lots of fuel if you use them fully, whereas the naturals can run wide open all day and still give 11 mpg on a full size bus. At 50 mph, I have gotten 14 mpg with naturals, too!!

I bend over backwards to purchase all the 8.2s I can get. I've NEVER made an enemy selling them. In fact, just the opposite... they seem to do a really good job for skoolie conversion folks.

I also like the 9.0L and the 3208 Cat. BOTH of these are old, dirty burners like the 8.2s. The 8.2 is a bit stronger than the 9.0L, but considerably less durable in school bus service. The 3208s are iron horses that often outlast the bus. Of all of them, remember this... OUR NEWEST CONVERSION PROJECT FOR OUR PERSONAL USE IS A DETROIT DIESEL 8.2T. I like them a LOT!!!"[/quote]
busone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 04:40 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by busone
School bus use is unique... stop and go, lots of idling, etc. We don't use our buses like that! Heck, even a 5.9L Cummins was a good engine in a school bus... but I wouldn't want one for running up and down the highway all the time, and they have the worst injector pumps of any engine out there. I can change one with one hand tied behind my back in the dark! On veggy oil, they really fail you!!
Well that’s not good to hear, I was thinking of converting my 5.9 Cummins equipped TC2000 to WVO. But I guess if the injection pumps are easy to change maybe I'll just risk it.

Why is it you say you wouldn't want one for running up and down the highway? Is there something I should know about this engine? I've been very happy with the highway performance of my engine.
Old 06-25-2006, 05:38 PM   #7
Bus Nut

I was quoting what Greg sent to me in an email. He is usually on the road and has very little time to email let alone post on the boards. I suggest emailing him direct with any questions. Since he is almost always on the road it may be a couple of days until he has an internet connection.
His email address is mailto:gregarchambault@yahoo.com or you can try his cell (352) 442-2270.
busone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 05:30 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
He said easy to change, not cheap I think I'm going to start the search for another IP for my bus so I can consider the veggie oil thing. We JUST got home from our maiden voyage (I'll post details and pictures later) and averaged right around 8 mpg at a measly 60 mph with the thing loaded down. 8 mpg isn't bad compared to some of the coaches we saw at the fest (they scoffed at the school bus until they heard little details like cost of operation and such) but it's still darn expensive!
Old 06-26-2006, 11:16 PM   #9
Bus Geek

if you have a bosh inline injector pump you'll prob be ok when it comes to veggie. They are the most tolerant of injector pumps when it comes t o wvo. I burned over 1,000 gallons in my old 6.6 liter ford without injector pump failure. I did however have to replace an o-ring in the lifter pump, but i belive that was due to excessive pressure in the fuel line (40psi), and that problem didn't happen for thousands of miles.

I think a new ip would cost as much as a "new" skoolie.
Old 06-30-2006, 11:43 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillbus914
Quote:
Originally Posted by busone
School bus use is unique... stop and go, lots of idling, etc. We don't use our buses like that! Heck, even a 5.9L Cummins was a good engine in a school bus... but I wouldn't want one for running up and down the highway all the time, and they have the worst injector pumps of any engine out there. I can change one with one hand tied behind my back in the dark! On veggy oil, they really fail you!!
Well that’s not good to hear, I was thinking of converting my 5.9 Cummins equipped TC2000 to WVO. But I guess if the injection pumps are easy to change maybe I'll just risk it.

Why is it you say you wouldn't want one for running up and down the highway? Is there something I should know about this engine? I've been very happy with the highway performance of my engine.
Greg is so far off the wall here I literally don't know where to start. The 5.9 Cummins is one of the best engines ever built. Period. Its only real weakness is the fuel lift pump--THIS IS NOT the injector pump! However, a weak LIFT pump will make the INJECTOR pump work much harder (something it isn't designed to do), and kill it. This is a well-known problem in the huge circle of Cummins people, and there are several fixes. The simplest is to get a pressure gauge to make sure the lift pump is working properly (and replace it if it isn't). The surest is to simply replace the pump with an upgraded design.

The 5.9 B-series may be the most overbuilt engine ever made. These things regularly see staggering amounts of miles pulling heavy trailers (IIRC, the Turbo Diesel Register has a million-mile club, and there are a number of members, to say nothing of the many over 500K), and are often used in competition trucks (racers, sledpullers) making stunning power (one guy claims 1050HP from an ISB) with massive boost levels (100+psi), nitrous oxide, propane, & huge fuel injectors. Many of these trucks double as the owner's only vehicle, and not a few are making double or triple the factory power on an untouched 100,000+ mile bottom end.

Other than the infamous 555 Cummins, there is no engine I have ever seen that is as universally hated as the 8.2 Detroit and the 9.0 International. The only good thing I've ever heard about either one is "they're cheap to replace when they let go". Detroit's record with any4-stroke smaller than a class 7 isn't very good. I'd rather have a gas engine.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:46 AM   #11
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: 2003 Thomas E-350 shorty
Chassis: E350
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 24
3208 Correction

A correction to Jarlaxle's post RE the CAT 3208. This is a moderate size V-8 engine, it is 626 cubic inches or 10.4 liters. And it also is a relatively high RPM diesel, in typical Skoolie non turbo configuration it will run at 2800 RPM all day. I think the turbo version is rated at 2600. It should NOT be run for any length of time below 2000 RPM.
Old 03-16-2024, 07:12 AM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Chevy P60
Engine: 8.2L diesel
Rated Cap: Twenty-one
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC10Chief View Post
I am dead set on getting a diesel school bus, but I have some questions. One of the first things I will do is convert it to run on veggie oil. I have heard that the Detroit 8.2 is an excellent engine for veggie oil. Is this true? What other diesels are good for veggie oil?

Which diesel engines should I AVOID? I don't want a dog. I'd like to be able to cruise at 65 mph at least. I do a lot of highway driving, but it's pretty flat everywhere I go (Oklahoma). I realize my tranny and rear end has a lot to do with cruise speed as well.

I see buses that say T444 and 3208 or DT466. How do I know what size motors these are? Are these any good? I want to buy the perfect bus for me the first time. I don't want to do a conversion and wish I had a different engine or something like that.

Also, how many miles do you think is too many miles for a diesel bus? I see buses with 90,000 miles and buses with 250,000 miles.

Thanks for your thoughts! Matt

Stay away from the 8.2 if you are wanting something that's not a dog. I'm currently running an 8.2 L diesel and absolutely will not do over 53mph. My bus gets squirrely above that. Plus it's a lot wear on the engine.
Mine only 186,700 miles on the odometer so it's technically not even been broken in.
Since I started driving it cross country I've already come across two mountains that I could only get up to twenty-five 😅 but she climbed them. In the Midwest you should be fine but the 8.2L is severely underpowered
Priest093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 10:13 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E, Allison 2000
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priest093 View Post
Stay away from the 8.2 if you are wanting something that's not a dog. I'm currently running an 8.2 L diesel and absolutely will not do over 53mph. My bus gets squirrely above that. Plus it's a lot wear on the engine.
Mine only 186,700 miles on the odometer so it's technically not even been broken in.
Since I started driving it cross country I've already come across two mountains that I could only get up to twenty-five 😅 but she climbed them. In the Midwest you should be fine but the 8.2L is severely underpowered
I think his mind was made up 18 years ago or so.
Omnibot2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 07:15 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
old-school thread revival those were even before my time on here
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 10:58 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
old-school thread revival those were even before my time on here
Good info I didn't know. What is SCA and where can I get it because it appears I need that in my coolant since I have a T444E.

I didn't think the cavitation problem would be an issue as long as you vacuumed seal your setup to prevent oxygenation.
nikitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 04:46 AM   #16
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: BlueBird
Engine: T444E, Allison 2000
Rated Cap: 72
You can purchase coolant pre charged with it or you can buy the bottles of SCA and test strips to add and maintain the charge.

It's getting harder to find it. All gone to long life these days

It'll be found at any dealer or large repair shop for the additive itself and the test strips.

From what I recall, the strips have an expiry date. Watch for that.
Omnibot2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 08:06 AM   #17
Bus Geek

in my DTA360 i do a couple things..

1. i run standard green coolant
2. I install a "pre-charged" coolant filter (the T444E should have one).. it has a tablet in it that dissolves very slowly..
3. I use the baldwin additive.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/TWDC...s&gad_source=1

I was trying to find the brand of test strips I use but dont see them.. I havent bought any for awhile.. I test a couple times per year and rarely have much change unless ive had a leak and needed to add coolant.. I dont add coolant very often to any of the busses..

I try to change the green coolant every few years , its of course a PITA on a bus to flush all the heater loops and such.

you can check with AMSoil but I believe their polyorganic HD red coolant can be used on All years of the 7.3, (the factory IH red coolant or peak finalcharge is only later years of the T444E). this is a zero maintenance pre-mix coolant.. you use a non-SCA coolant filter and dont have to check or add SCA.. Im running it in mine.. its expensive so if you have a leaky system you wont want to use it..

my DT gets a coolant flush this year and will be switching to that AMSoil coolant
Old 03-20-2024, 10:01 AM   #18
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
in my DTA360 i do a couple things..

1. i run standard green coolant
2. I install a "pre-charged" coolant filter (the T444E should have one).. it has a tablet in it that dissolves very slowly..
3. I use the baldwin additive.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/TWDC...s&gad_source=1

I was trying to find the brand of test strips I use but dont see them.. I havent bought any for awhile.. I test a couple times per year and rarely have much change unless ive had a leak and needed to add coolant.. I dont add coolant very often to any of the busses..

I try to change the green coolant every few years , its of course a PITA on a bus to flush all the heater loops and such.

you can check with AMSoil but I believe their polyorganic HD red coolant can be used on All years of the 7.3, (the factory IH red coolant or peak finalcharge is only later years of the T444E). this is a zero maintenance pre-mix coolant.. you use a non-SCA coolant filter and dont have to check or add SCA.. Im running it in mine.. its expensive so if you have a leaky system you wont want to use it..

my DT gets a coolant flush this year and will be switching to that AMSoil coolant
I don't know what was put into mine as International dealership did it, but it's red and they vacuum sealed it in. I've not had any coolant leaks since I've owned it so I think I'm good there.
nikitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 10:12 AM   #19
Bus Geek

you can ask them, typically wit hthe red coolants you do not need to use an SCA's or additives.. and coolant filter changes (only need done with flush).. would be a non SCA.. red coolants typically have a very long lifespan..