Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2019, 01:02 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Freightliner
Chassis: S2
Engine: 6.4 MBE 906
Do MBE 906 fall into the DD family for this thread?

Good Day,

Hey Skoolie Family. Looking for more information and first hand knowledge about the MBE 906. I know, I know I have read all the crazy issue with EGR and DPF and emissions with the MBE 906. I am really just kinda curious about which ECU port is on the bus and what kind of diagnostic equipment I may need to trouble shoot it on my own.

Any advice will be great!

Old 10-05-2019, 08:20 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
your 2004 MBE should be prior to DPF, but may or may not have EGR depending on the serial number.. at least thats what a friend of mine says..

MBE engines have expensive parts and shops to work on them are typically freightliner.. however something to remember is mercedes has been making truck engines for a very long time.. in europe Mercedes trucks have been widely used.. we just arent used to seeing them in the states..

my buddy who runs a fleet of busses swears by his MBE units as being very reliable and long-lasting.. as long as you take care of them and perform the normal maintenance and care for them..

what do you mean by DD? MBE are nor Detroit Diesel, they are their own bird..

in 2004 you may have either a grey 6 pin round(J1708 diagnostic connector or a green 9 pin round(J1939) connector..

the standards it uses are industry standard for rteading it out.. Scangauge D, Bluefire, and others can read it's codes anbd data..

for programming it, mercedes / freightliner software would be required..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 10:13 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Freightliner
Chassis: S2
Engine: 6.4 MBE 906
CadillacKid,

Thank you for the heads up, I mearly mean that since Daimler Chrysler owns Detroit Diesel and Freightliner is a subsidiary, and they make MBE. Does the OP belong on the DD Drivetrain. lol

I have been very blessed with the mechanical condition of the MBE. I just want to learn my engine inside and out, this is why I am looking for a dianogstic computer and software. I have found a couple on google, that claim they have "UNIVERSIAL READERS" and of course yearly subscriptions.

However thank you for the info I wil look into them and see what I can find out.
Old 04-22-2020, 11:11 AM   #4

Need Help - MB906 Won't turn over.

*Removed, needs its own thread.
Ifly4fun is offline   Reply With Quote