Old 02-03-2016, 05:48 PM   #1

Year: 1991
Coachwork: American
Engine: DT 466
dt 466e

How long can a DT466e idle, without the need to shut it off, have 1991.
chevy2wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 06:48 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E International
Rated Cap: 72
Until you run out of fuel? Or oil?

Is this a trick question? I have a 1998 DT466E and I let it idle for hours at a time. Of course, because I'm mid-conversion and she isn't registered, I can't drive her and idling is the only running she's had in months.
VeldatheWonderbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 08:43 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
While you CAN do long-term idling until the engine finally destroys itself of old age doesn't mean you should.
A diesel engine sitting idle will never get up to it's proper operating temperature unless it has features to aid it (such as a back pressure valve and high idle). While it's running cool it is running in it's most destructive state. Diesel and moisture from the air will condense on the cylinder walls and dilute the oil.

Other reasons not to sit there idling:
- it costs money
- as the engine temperature drops the exhaust will contain more unburnt diesel, which is usually stinky
Old 02-03-2016, 08:52 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT IDLE A DIESEL ENGINE FOR LONG PERIODS OF TIME!!!!!

Even if you are able to kick it up to a higher speed idle, idling for long periods of time is a sure fire way to reduce the life of your engine.

Diesel engines need to get hot in order to keep them healthy. It is impossible to work a diesel engine at idle hard enough to get it really warmed up.

If the engine is not up to operating temperature it will tend to not burn all of the fuel. The unburned fuel will wash past the rings and pollute the lube oil. It will also tend to wash lube oil off of the cylinders causing excess wear on the rings, pistons, and cylinder walls. You will also cause moisture build up in the oil sump that will further dilute the lube oil which can cause damage to the top end of the engine--valve train, cam shaft, lifters, etc.

The only real way to keep a diesel engine healthy is to get it out on the road, get it up to road speed, and give it good run of more than 50 miles at highway speed.

If you are in the middle of your conversion and your bus is not able to get out on the road the best thing you can do is to make sure critters can't get into the intake or exhaust, add fuel stabilizer to the tank and run the engine long enough to get it into the pump and injectors, and then just let it sit. When you finally are able to get it out on the road, before you head out, drain the oil, change all of the filters, and hope the fuel stabilizer you put into the tank will have kept the everything moving in the fuel system.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:30 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
I don't think a 91 would be an "E".
But no don't idle for long periods of time.
EastCoastCB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:13 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I don't think a 91 would be an "E".
But no don't idle for long periods of time.
It shouldn't be, unless it was swapped. Electronic injection came around about '95 on that engine.

You don't want to idle for long periods of time. You'll turn a durable engine into junk in short order that way. Scuffed pistons, scored liners, and worn rings are some of the more common things that'll occur. Why do you need to have the bus running if it's not moving?
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 12:41 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

What options do I have if I don't feel like driving yet need the warm air?
I do this all the time with gasoline engine, but with diesel, this option not recommended.
What do diesel drivers do if they need the keep themselves warm while resting in a temporarily stops? is this why the portable diesel heater is so popular among truckers?

Some time ago, coming from Vancouver Canada to Washington State, I was pulled over by highway patrol officers. The reason for his stop as I was told is he has been following me for some time, because of my driving, apparently, under suspicions of DUI. When he was assured no substance, he urged me to stop over the next rest area, and take short rest before further driving on the road. No tickets, but impressed by way he managed whole affair. When I woke up few hours later with much rested head, my engine was turned on for heating purpose and realized the kindness of a person, not as a cop but a fellow human being. He was not much younger than I, and his choice of language impressed me the most, an ideal way of handling potential offender of law, my feeling toward police officer still remain same as the day I encountered that one man.

If my vehicle was diesel powered, it this mean that I'd have completely ruined the engine?
kwang_yi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 08:54 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
There is a high idle button or lever.
EastCoastCB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:00 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

There is a big difference between idling long periods of time without ever moving and getting up to operating temperature and idling while stopped in the middle of a trip.

When my M-I-L passed away in Grand Rapids, MI I purchased a bus to move various treasures, including two cats, back to WA state. I drove the whole 2000 miles and the only time I shut the bus off was when I was at a fuel stop. The ambient temperature was well under freezing the whole trip, some of the time it was below 0*. I even got stuck in Cheyenne, WI for 24-hours while the highway was closed due to snow drifts over the highway. During the whole trip I was afraid to shut the bus off for any length of time because I was afraid with those low temperatures I wouldn't be able to start the bus up again.

But as soon as I back onto the road again I was back up to operating temperature in a short period of time.

That is very different from just idling and never going anywhere.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 11:06 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post
There is a big difference between idling long periods of time without ever moving and getting up to operating temperature and idling while stopped in the middle of a trip.

When my M-I-L passed away in Grand Rapids, MI I purchased a bus to move various treasures, including two cats, back to WA state. I drove the whole 2000 miles and the only time I shut the bus off was when I was at a fuel stop. The ambient temperature was well under freezing the whole trip, some of the time it was below 0*. I even got stuck in Cheyenne, WI for 24-hours while the highway was closed due to snow drifts over the highway. During the whole trip I was afraid to shut the bus off for any length of time because I was afraid with those low temperatures I wouldn't be able to start the bus up again.

But as soon as I back onto the road again I was back up to operating temperature in a short period of time.

That is very different from just idling and never going anywhere.
As you can see, I'm an idiot when it comes to inner workings of engine.
I was little startled to read original posts, never thought your diesel is so finicky. It's not like I'm about to journey into a new career in driving, although I'm still looking for bus driver's job.

I guess diesel driver are subject to attention and alertness than gasoline drivers.
kwang_yi is offline   Reply With Quote