Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-10-2019, 06:19 PM   #1
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Colebrook CT
Posts: 127
Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: A3RE
Engine: Cummins 8.3
How do I resurrect a 6V92?

Hey guys,
I am going to pick up an 89 MCI 96A in 6 days. It hasn't been run in a year. The bus is in Indiana and I am in CT so I can't get to it until then.
I've never had a DD but I'm mechanical enough. So, what do I need to do to get this thing running and driving? I will only have a few hours to get this done as my window for this trip is short. Help!
Mtrdrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 06:25 PM   #2
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 8,265
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Question

Have you not had it running yet? If not, hard to tell what you'll need. For starters I would take 2 good batteries to start it with. Take a spare fuel filter.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 06:29 PM   #3
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,653
Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Fresh batteries. Fuel in the tank. Oil level checked. Coolant level checked. My bus sat in my driveway for months, 2 batteries later and I was on the road.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 06:54 PM   #4
Skoolie
 
banman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Ohio
Posts: 173
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtrdrms View Post
Hey guys,
I am going to pick up an 89 MCI 96A in 6 days. It hasn't been run in a year. The bus is in Indiana and I am in CT so I can't get to it until then.
I've never had a DD but I'm mechanical enough. So, what do I need to do to get this thing running and driving? I will only have a few hours to get this done as my window for this trip is short. Help!
The less time you have for transport the more apt you'll be to make a (very) poor decision about vehicle condition or weather inviting tragic results...

My first thought is re-think your thinking...

Have the bus checked out by someone before you get there --

Tires? Brakes? Steering?
Engine running is a distant second to ANY of the above...
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 07:01 PM   #5
Bus Nut
 
PatrickBaptist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Johnson City TN
Posts: 294
Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC/AMTRANS RE
Engine: T444E 7.3 w/ MD3060
Rated Cap: 36000lbs / 78pass / 39'
Where is it in Indiana. I'm in West Baden IN till next week, if it's close I'd be happy to look at it just for the fun of it (free of charge).
__________________
If you would like to check out my website that has all sort of information especially for the T444E/7.3PSD engines check out www.PatrickTheSalvageGuy.com I've got helpful downloads and articles as well as a link to my YT for other how to videos mainly on the F series trucks.
PatrickBaptist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 07:08 PM   #6
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Colebrook CT
Posts: 127
Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: A3RE
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Great stuff guys. I was planning on bringing 2 batteries with me. 8D, correct? I bought it on eBay and the owner flaked out on me. Said he would have it all set by the end of the auction...its been 2 weeks.

So batteries, fuel filter, fuel and some spare fluids.

I hear ya about the pro inspection but I cant even imagine how that would work with a non running bus 900 miles away.
I know its not ideal but amazingly, I've done this sort of thing many times before.

Bus is in Ingalls. Man, if I could get a set if eyes on it that would be amazing.
__________________
Soon to be a coach converter...
Mtrdrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 07:42 PM   #7
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 870
Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
watch some Bus grease Monkey videos on Youtube, he specializes in 2 stroke detriots
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:21 PM   #8
Bus Nut
 
TJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Rapid City, SD
Posts: 431
Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post
watch some Bus grease Monkey videos on Youtube, he specializes in 2 stroke detriots
Yes do this ^. Also I think he is from that area and his son is a mobil diesel mechanic. Most important thing starting a 2 stroke is making sure it doesn't run away.

Ted
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:26 PM   #9
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Colebrook CT
Posts: 127
Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: A3RE
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Ok, I've seen a ton of his videos but I'll look closer for a 6v92 informational video. If you know of one, share the link!
Thanks!
Mtrdrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:36 PM   #10
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 19,055
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtrdrms View Post
Hey guys,
I am going to pick up an 89 MCI 96A in 6 days. It hasn't been run in a year. The bus is in Indiana and I am in CT so I can't get to it until then.
I've never had a DD but I'm mechanical enough. So, what do I need to do to get this thing running and driving? I will only have a few hours to get this done as my window for this trip is short. Help!
NEw battery or batteries and a splash of fresh fuel.
Should be fine.
Make sure the tires are ok. GOod luck.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:44 PM   #11
Bus Crazy
 
ol trunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: So Cal
Posts: 2,456
Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
When a DD is ready to start it will do so in less than 1/2 revolution so be sure your body and equipment aren't anywhere near those looooong fan belts and that you know how to stop a runaway 2 stroke diesel. Lots of vids on youtube regarding runaway DD's.
Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:45 PM   #12
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Colebrook CT
Posts: 127
Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: A3RE
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
NEw battery or batteries and a splash of fresh fuel.
Should be fine.
Make sure the tires are ok. GOod luck.
Yes sir! Bringing my compressor and camp generator.
Mtrdrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:47 PM   #13
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Colebrook CT
Posts: 127
Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: A3RE
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt View Post
When a DD is ready to start it will do so in less than 1/2 revolution so be sure your body and equipment aren't anywhere near those looooong fan belts and that you know how to stop a runaway 2 stroke diesel. Lots of vids on youtube regarding runaway DD's.
Jack
Sadly, I'll most likely be by myself so hopefully I dont hurt!
Good call on the runaway. I'll do some research!
Mtrdrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:48 PM   #14
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Colebrook CT
Posts: 127
Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: A3RE
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Also, I will bring some Diesel911. Ok to use in the situation?
__________________
Soon to be a coach converter...
Mtrdrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:52 PM   #15
Bus Nut
 
PatrickBaptist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Johnson City TN
Posts: 294
Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC/AMTRANS RE
Engine: T444E 7.3 w/ MD3060
Rated Cap: 36000lbs / 78pass / 39'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtrdrms View Post
Great stuff guys. I was planning on bringing 2 batteries with me. 8D, correct? I bought it on eBay and the owner flaked out on me. Said he would have it all set by the end of the auction...its been 2 weeks.

So batteries, fuel filter, fuel and some spare fluids.

I hear ya about the pro inspection but I cant even imagine how that would work with a non running bus 900 miles away.
I know its not ideal but amazingly, I've done this sort of thing many times before.

Bus is in Ingalls. Man, if I could get a set if eyes on it that would be amazing.
I looked at gmaps and well it's just shy of 3hrs away so I can't be of any help there sorry bud.
__________________
If you would like to check out my website that has all sort of information especially for the T444E/7.3PSD engines check out www.PatrickTheSalvageGuy.com I've got helpful downloads and articles as well as a link to my YT for other how to videos mainly on the F series trucks.
PatrickBaptist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:56 PM   #16
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Colebrook CT
Posts: 127
Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: A3RE
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickBaptist View Post
I looked at gmaps and well it's just shy of 3hrs away so I can't be of any help there sorry bud.
No problem. I appreciate the offer anyway. Many thanks.
Mtrdrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 10:41 PM   #17
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,653
Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Batteries will probably be Group 31's ... might be 8D's though.


I'd not be opposed to going to check it out but I live in GA. However, I'm also willing to get it road ready (within my abilities), if it needs anything minor.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 10:53 PM   #18
Bus Crazy
 
ol trunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: So Cal
Posts: 2,456
Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Originally there would have been two D8 start batteries.
Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 06:06 AM   #19
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Colebrook CT
Posts: 127
Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: A3RE
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
Batteries will probably be Group 31's ... might be 8D's though.


I'd not be opposed to going to check it out but I live in GA. However, I'm also willing to get it road ready (within my abilities), if it needs anything minor.
Well, if you feel like taking a road trip to beautiful Indiana you'd make this stranger pretty happy!
Mtrdrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 06:07 AM   #20
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Colebrook CT
Posts: 127
Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: A3RE
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt View Post
Originally there would have been two D8 start batteries.
Jack
Hey Jack, where are those batteries located? Is there an access door by the engine somewhere?
Mtrdrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

« Beep code? | - »
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×