Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2018, 04:29 AM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Firstly is your charge system working right? Do you have a solid 13 volts now? I’d be checking that before anything else
Christopher

cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 07:04 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Collins Super Bantam
Engine: 6.5L Diesel
Rated Cap: 20 passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
Firstly is your charge system working right? Do you have a solid 13 volts now? I’d be checking that before anything else
Christopher
That's a very good question. I left the front battery on a trickle charger for a while but then removed it when I suddenly had to leave, but I haven't checked the second battery under the frame. Do both of them need to have 13 volts?

I tried to look for the OBD2 connector but could not locate it anywhere. In my previous cars/trucks they were normally located under the steering wheel.
jnymdnyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 07:07 PM   #23
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC-1000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 39 Students
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnymdnyt View Post
That's a very good question. I left the front battery on a trickle charger for a while but then removed it when I suddenly had to leave, but I haven't checked the second battery under the frame. Do both of them need to have 13 volts?

I tried to look for the OBD2 connector but could not locate it anywhere. In my previous cars/trucks they were normally located under the steering wheel.
Further to the left, tucked under the end of the dash plastic. Near the hood release almost...

Sent from my E6883 using Tapatalk
BennysTire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 07:09 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Quote:

the voltage of 13 volts or over would be checmed when the engine is running and no battery charger connected... the alternator should keep the system at 13 or over when the engine is on..
-Christopher
Old 03-02-2018, 09:38 AM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennysTire View Post
Further to the left, tucked under the end of the dash plastic. Near the hood release almost...

Thank you. I was loosing my mind looking for it.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:39 AM   #26
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC-1000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 39 Students
Quote:
Thank you. I was loosing my mind looking for it.
[emoji106]

BennysTire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 04:14 PM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

Apologize for being MIA for a long time. I long trip to Alaska and Canada kept me from working on the bus and now I'm back at it again. At least I was able to use it as storage and save me a couple of $$$ from renting a storage space while I was gone.

I checked the battery and the one under the hood is bad and the one underneath measures 13 volts. I am in the process of getting the same battery as before - Intersate MT-78. It's weird how it still starts even after not starting it for a couple of months.

Oh, and the OBDII I have is not the same so I have to figure this out to get the codes.
Old 08-15-2018, 06:02 PM   #28
Bus Nut

How'd you come out on tracking the tranny problem? There was a you tube video, a while back detailing the 3 most often found problems with your trans. Also had some other idea on your se up. As I recall they were, for the most part, not too bad on the checkbook, to fix.

Anyone know which Allison would work in this situation?
1olfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 12:40 PM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

I started off by getting 2 new batteries and in the process of replacing pulled a wire somehow and the bus didn't want to start for the longest time, as you can see in my other post. It still needs work and I am slowly getting back to it. The was a 4l60E transmission for sale that I was contemplating but wasn't sure if that would be the right move and didn't want to make an impulse buy. Sorry for the late response.
Old 03-27-2019, 08:23 AM   #30
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran/Wolfington
Chassis: 3800
Engine: International DT466E 190HP variant
Rated Cap: 72 pax 29500 GVWR
You’re 4L80E trans is a beefed up 4L60E which is the replacement for the 700R4 trans of the early 90s and 80s. They’re a dime a dozen in boneyards and if you find any Suburban or C pickup from those days (since your bus is 2 wheel drive) it’ll slap right in and only need minor mods.
WARGEAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 10:06 AM   #31
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for the input.

Haven't really given up on figuring out what is wrong with the current transmission that's in there but have been doing minor maintenance instead. I keep on finding things to do before I tackle the transmission. Right now it moves which is a big deal since I have to keep on moving it for street cleaning. The 4L60E transmission I was looking at sold right away for $350.00 (recently rebuilt). If I were to go that route I would opt for a direct replacement w/o modifications.
Old 12-05-2019, 02:55 PM   #32
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC/AMTRANS RE
Engine: T444E 7.3 w/ MD3060
Rated Cap: 36000lbs / 78pass / 39'
ODBII wasn't mandated and made standard until 1996.
If you would like to check out my website that has all sort of information especially for the T444E/7.3PSD engines check out www.PatrickTheSalvageGuy.com I've got helpful downloads and articles as well as a link to my YT for other how to videos mainly on the F series trucks.
PatrickBaptist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 03:20 PM   #33
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARGEAR View Post
You’re 4L80E trans is a beefed up 4L60E which is the replacement for the 700R4 trans of the early 90s and 80s. They’re a dime a dozen in boneyards and if you find any Suburban or C pickup from those days (since your bus is 2 wheel drive) it’ll slap right in and only need minor mods.

I ran Beefed up 4L80E's in 11 second hotrods and didnt Break em!..

-Christopher