Old 09-24-2018, 07:19 AM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
I'm siding with ronnie on this one. My experience correlates with what the detroit instructor told me, which is that multi grade oils are okay so long as they meet the ash and zinc requirements.

Looking for the cf2 requirement is also unnecessary considering that is an outdated spec and anything meeting current specs will far exceed it.

What most of you are forgetting is that these engines were developed at a time when multigrade oils weren't standard and synthetic oils were uncommon.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 10:47 PM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Coachwork: integral
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
It's your engine, do what you want, but half a century of accumulated wisdom should not be scoffed at. Also, what do the boating folk use in their 92s and 71s? (Hint - it's not multiweight.) I'll keep using the correct oil in mine, and get it analyzed every year or two to keep an eye on things; I don't like surprises.

Even the bible tells you to use straight 40-weight. In the Old Testament's Book Of Lubricants, Chapter 2 Verse 3, Abraham says "Oh god, I have sinned verily in thy sight, my chariot of crowns hath been anointed with the unction of diverse fortitudes, and it now ceaseth to work without the exhuming of smoke and most foul odors and the making of discordant sounds". And then god sayeth "Abraham, thou art a silly twat, thou hast hastened thy chariot's demise by your ungodly stupidity and ignorance, so thou shall apease me by praying five times a day and saying that only straight unction of 40 virgins is blessed by me for thy chariot, and anything else is the devil's handiwork. If thou persisteth in using the devil's multitudinous unction in thy chariot, thou shalt be turned into a pillar of sulfated ash".

Look it up if you don't believe me.

Good luck, John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 06:58 AM   #23
Bus Nut

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
straight from the "bible"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180926_075015.jpg (262.0 KB, 38 views)
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 09:46 AM   #24
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Coachwork: integral
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
Sorry, just because Detroit said in 1979 that 15W/40 was OK does not mean it's OK! All subsequent information from Detroit says to not use multi-weight. Detroit sometimes countermands their original instructions or advice as new information becomes available to render it obsolete or inaccurate. Look at what they said about oil change intervals on the early 92s, or what they said about running slobber tubes into the crankcase when the EPA started to get on them - both of those "official" Detroit instructions were very soon replaced by corrected ones. More to the point, if everybody with 2-stroke Detroits is telling you one thing, why do you assume that you know better? BCM and the Hatteras/trawler forums will quickly dispel any such foolish notions! As I've said before, it's your engine, trash it if you want, no skin off my nose, but it's a waste of a good engine if you do. Much though I like 2-stroke diesels (and not only Detroits), I'm the first to admit they're not for everyone. Most folk would be better served with some boring generic modern diesel engine, just like most car drivers in this country are best served by dull unimaginative anodyne yawnmobiles like a Camry that require minimal involvement and knowledge for their use.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 10:19 AM   #25
Bus Crazy

You guys are arguing over the number of teeth in a horse's mouth when you could just ask the horse. Call 'em up and ask!

Also, John, there really are good things to be said about transportation appliances that just work. Most of us named our first few cars, then moved on to reliable ones. Not calling you out here; there's room for both chocolate and vanilla in this great world. Just pointing out that there's no moral superiority to be had in buying and operating old stuff just for the cool factor.

Just running, day after day, no complaints, no drama, is what we all pray for the day we pick up our first bus.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 11:03 AM   #26
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John View Post
It's your engine, do what you want, but half a century of accumulated wisdom should not be scoffed at. Also, what do the boating folk use in their 92s and 71s? (Hint - it's not multiweight.) I'll keep using the correct oil in mine, and get it analyzed every year or two to keep an eye on things; I don't like surprises.
Different operating conditions entirely. Also holds true for gen set usage and ag equipment. Guess what? Those are all considered off highway, where multiweight oils wouldn't be much of an advantage. What we're talking about here is on highway, where detroit says that multi weight oils are okay.

Straight 40 weight is fine, as long as you follow the temp guidelines. I'm not saying to not use it. That's what they originally used. It works fine. What I am saying, is that multi weight oils are okay as long as it meets or exceeds the ash and zinc requirements. And multiweight oils start 10x easier in the cold, and are much more commonly available.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 11:11 AM   #27
Bus Nut

John,

Very simply I am stateing what the manual says. Also my many years of experiance shows this to be ok too. As for info being changed yes my older manual says straight 40w and the newer one says 15w40 as the recommended oil.

Either one is ok.
Old 09-26-2018, 11:49 AM   #28
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
John,

Very simply I am stateing what the manual says. Also my many years of experiance shows this to be ok too. As for info being changed yes my older manual says straight 40w and the newer one says 15w40 as the recommended oil.

Either one is ok.

hey ronnie, slightly off the topic question but I see in your avatar you have an IH-392, what oil are you running in that? ive built a lot of hotrods over the years but this is really the first "truck engine" ive had.. do you run regular 10W-40 in it or rotella like in a diesel?

as for the 2 stroke detroit.. seems pretty simple to me.. as long as the delo-100 oil is available why not just run it... once it becomes completely impossible to get then be concerned about finding a different oil... the fully recommended is available still.. just not at walmart . so you can run that.. at least thats how I would do it..

just like in my old cars with R-12 A/C.. while R-12 was still available I always ran that.. and never bothered to worry about converting uintil it was near impossible to get..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 01:57 PM   #29
Bus Nut

The 392 being it has flat tappet cam followers and not a roller cam I use 15w-40 Amsoil, which has a high zinc content. I have had several international v-8's and they have done well with it. The older Rotella is also good. The newest I have not looked up the specs for yet. So not sure if it has enough zinc.

I am not saying anything against the delo-100, by all means use it if you have it. Just wanted to show DD has in fact stated other oils can be used as well. If anyone has any info that supercedes the info I posted by all means I am all ears.

I use a hydro carbon based r-12 replacement. There is a good bit of controversy on that but it does work well.
Old 09-26-2018, 04:47 PM   #30
Skoolie

Coachwork: None yet
There's a rule somewhere on the internet that all mechanical conversations eventually become oil threads.

I really appreciate the input, guys. Even (or especially) since there's disagreement. Once the engine is started I have a handful of other systems to sort out as well before getting her on the road home. Air, brakes, and enough electrical to have taillights and turn signals, at least.

Should be fun.
cycle61 is offline   Reply With Quote