Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2013, 07:18 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Eagle
Chassis: Model 10
Engine: 6v92 Detroit
Rated Cap: 44
1984 International 9.0 - need help!

I'm going to start off by saying that I don't have a clue what to do here other than call a diesel mechanic which I am trying to avoid at this point. I am pretty sure I have a 9.0 liter engine but I can't find anything on the engine to verify for sure.

I bought a 1984 International US Army bus that I think sat for some time. First turn of the key, nothing. So I bought an new 8D battery. Turn the key and it starts but then it runs WIDE OPEN and I have no way to get it to stop. At that point my mind just went blank, I was like a zombie so anything that happens next is just STUPID. I cut the fuel line at the tank to get it to stop. So far I have tried to patch the fuel line and I'm not sure if that worked but the bus won't start. I have read that I need to prime the fuel line but I don't know how to do that. So I guess my questions are how do I get it started again and what is causing the engine to rev to wide open right away?

Thanks for helping and yes, I know this makes me sound like a moron

Tom

Kent Dorfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:59 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545
Re: 1984 International 9.0 - need help!

Not sure how much I can offer here, but have you verified that the throttle cable and linkage are not sticking in the open position? Another possibility is that you've got yourself a runaway diesel. This scary phenomenon happens usually due to excessive wear of the piston rings to the point that oil from the crankcase is bypassing the pistons, entering the combustion chamber, and therefore supplying an uncontrolled amount of fuel to the engine.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:57 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

The bus only has 101,000 miles on it. I have heard of the runaway diesel thing, do you think that would be possible with so few miles? This was a US Army bus.

Any ideas on how to prime the fuel line?
Old 09-13-2013, 11:19 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

Maybe some foreign object got past the fuel filter, or air filter and caused damage to the piston/ring? Maybe it is possible that your injectors are sticking open? Or some defect in the operation of the injection pump?

In terms of priming the fuel line, I would disconnect or loosen it at the intake of injection pump, or somewhere close to it, then have one person apply pressure to the fuel tank through the filler hole with an air compressor (I use an air spray nozzle with a rag wrapped around it to seal the filler hole) while another person mans the pump end of the system. Hopefully the fuel will start spewing out at the pump, then you reattach quickly. I suppose, instead, you could loosen the fuel supply tubes going to the injectors instead and do the same thing. Actually, that would probably be even better if it works. That would really prime the system, assuming there is no blockage or check valve of some sort. Warning: whoever is blowing air into the tank may well get a nice little diesel fuel shower when the pressure is released - that person should position himself and/or a shield accordingly (ask me how I know ) . Once the system is all sealed up again, start cranking with a fresh battery. It may take a while. Crank in intervals so you don't overheat your starter.

Caveat: I have done this on other vehicles successfully, but your particular system may or may not lend itself to this method.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:20 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

What was the engine speed when it ran away? Was it a constant speed? Is it a turbocharged engine? You could be on the governor's high RPM limit. Before you restart you need to find the shutdown, and fix that. Usually an electrical problem. If you can safely block the air intake you can shut the engine down, though that method can suck oil seals in blowers and turbo compressor wheels.

If you don't prime your fuel system right you might need to buy batteries and maybe a starter later. You need to fix hose, get the lines and filters as full of fuel as possible, and then have someone crank the engine while you crack (loosen) the the fuel fittings until you get a little trickle of solid fuel. You do it one cylinder at a time. Get a couple of holes popping and the rest might take care of itself. Don't rush or burn up your starter, charge your batteries first. You could also pressurize the fuel supply line, and bleed the injectors without cranking.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 02:28 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 72

Actually, he doesn't have an electrical shutdown. It's just a manual valve. First question is if it is turboed. If it is truly a 9.0, it is not. Second question, did you pull the valve when it ran away and it kept going? I am wondering if the linkage is simply stuck or broken.

Brutus
JakeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 03:52 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeC
Actually, he doesn't have an electrical shutdown. It's just a manual valve. First question is if it is turboed. If it is truly a 9.0, it is not. Second question, did you pull the valve when it ran away and it kept going? I am wondering if the linkage is simply stuck or broken.
No turbo. It sounds crazy but I was so freaked out that I don't know if I pulled the manual shut off or not. After all this went down I remembered that some diesels have a manual pull shut off. It has one. It seems to be connected and moving properly.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:08 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

Does the throttle linkage on the injector pump move freely? Is it connected properly? This is really pretty basic stuff. If the fuel shutoff is connected right and is pulled out, it aint gunna run, period.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote