Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-07-2012, 09:27 PM   #1
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 5
Year: 87
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: 7.3idi intl/ford
Rated Cap: 32
1987 carpenter F156s 5.57 ratio swap to 4.33

And the pain is setting in. Just bought a drop in reman gear box for the 87 carpenter. I was tacking @32k at 60mph. Anyone know what I can expect with the 4.33? 20" wheels. 7.3 idi. Also I havent pulled the axles yet but truck shop said 95% have 36 splines. Can't wait to find out I'm in the other 5%..any help here wld be great.
Condormfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:24 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie
 
ns9987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 16
Year: 1987
Coachwork: Blue Bird Conventional
Chassis: International S-1753
Engine: 6.9L IDI
Rated Cap: 65
Re: 1987 carpenter F156s 5.57 ratio swap to 4.33

I hope your bus has a manual tranny, because 4.33's are going to suck ass with a 7.3L AND an Automatic... you will lose a hell of alot of power on the highway. But, if you do have a manual trans, with some deep starting gears, it won't suck AS bad... And, I'd turn up the fuel a bit to that 7.3L too, so you can crank a few extra horses out when you're flooring it to climb a steep hill. lol You never want to gear a 7.3L, even if it has a manual trans with anything higher than 4.78's and that's pushing it the limit there. I know because my bus has a 6.9L IDI and an Allison AT-545 auto trans, with 5.38 gears. I can do 45mph @ 2500RPM's, Yes, and that sucks as well. But, remember there's a reason they gear buses low, because some engines just don't have the horses to turn anything higher.... I seriously would try to find a 4.78 if I were you.

Don't think I'm hating on you or anything, I'm just telling you from experience. I'd hate to see you spend all that money to swap it and then you wish'd you hadn't. lol =D
__________________
"IF it ain't broke... Don't screw with it and end up breaking it!"
ns9987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:25 PM   #3
Site Team
 
crazycal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,087
Re: 1987 carpenter F156s 5.57 ratio swap to 4.33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Condormfg
And the pain is setting in. Just bought a drop in reman gear box for the 87 carpenter. I was tacking @32k at 60mph. Anyone know what I can expect with the 4.33? 20" wheels. 7.3 idi. Also I havent pulled the axles yet but truck shop said 95% have 36 splines. Can't wait to find out I'm in the other 5%..any help here wld be great.

You can expect to buy a new engine running around at 32,000 rpms. Sorry , couldn't resist.
__________________
I'm hungry!

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:53 AM   #4
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Oregon/Philippines
Posts: 1,660
Re: 1987 carpenter F156s 5.57 ratio swap to 4.33

you are safe up to 31.5...
__________________
Jesus Christ... Conversion in progress.
chev49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:59 AM   #5
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: New England
Posts: 1,009
Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77
Re: 1987 carpenter F156s 5.57 ratio swap to 4.33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Condormfg
And the pain is setting in. Just bought a drop in reman gear box for the 87 carpenter. I was tacking @32k at 60mph. Anyone know what I can expect with the 4.33? 20" wheels. 7.3 idi. Also I havent pulled the axles yet but truck shop said 95% have 36 splines. Can't wait to find out I'm in the other 5%..any help here wld be great.
With 9.00-20 tires and 4.33 gears, 60MPH will be about 2200RPM.
__________________
Jarlaxle
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Optimism is a mental disorder.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1987 carpenter Motorcycle hauler in progress Condormfg International | Navistar Drivetrain 5 03-13-2012 09:25 PM
1987 Ford Carpenter toy hauler Seeria Skoolie Conversion Projects 6 06-09-2011 10:34 AM
1987 IHC Carpenter School Bus LOW MILES $800 or best offer frank-id Classifieds | Buy, Sell, Swap 0 11-18-2009 01:43 PM
FLORA - 1987 Ford Carpenter Redbear Conversion General Discussions 1 07-09-2009 12:25 AM
Possibly parting out--1987 International/Carpenter Jarlaxle Classifieds | Buy, Sell, Swap 0 10-10-2005 08:22 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.