Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2011, 01:43 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Gages

The temp gage is the most important of all gages. Next comes the oil pressure gage then the voltmeter in order of importance. Your bad part is the temp sending unit. There are many other sources for a replacement sender. You should consider replacing both the sender and the dash gage for better accuracy and longivity. There are lots on Ebay. A good temp gage can save an engine or allow it to be destroyed..... Frank

frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 06:51 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Dent

Sometimes a good toilet plunger can help remove a roof dent. Someone pulls the plunger and someone taps around the side of dent...............Frank
Old 09-10-2011, 12:33 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2
Re: 1991 Carpenter, International 7.3L A170 - Engine Questio

Show us the picture of the dent, please. Can't see any problem in your posted picture.

From my limited & unfortunate experience: the sheet metal on an older school bus is much thicker than a car's. Especially modern cars. Their metal is about as thick as those old steel beer cans were!
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:52 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

The smallest body hammer I'd use on that dent would be a 3 pound maul. The creative solution would be to cut the whole section out and build something up there.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:12 PM   #5
Bus Nut

roof repair

I would get a 2 X 4 and stand on a hydraulic jack. Have a helper hold stud in position and pump jack handle as requested. Another person can be on roof to use a hammer around the dent. With some care and finess, the paint will not be disturbed......... Frank
Old 09-12-2011, 11:38 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Suuurrre there tomato plants.
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 12:10 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Re: Gages

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank-id
The temp gage is the most important of all gages. Next comes the oil pressure gage then the voltmeter in order of importance. Your bad part is the temp sending unit. There are many other sources for a replacement sender. You should consider replacing both the sender and the dash gage for better accuracy and longivity. There are lots on Ebay. A good temp gage can save an engine or allow it to be destroyed..... Frank
Not trying to step on your toes but your order is wrong. Oil pressure is more important than temp. You can run an engine hot and more than likely not kill it. Your engine is dead in a matter of seconds with no oil pressure. No oil pressure = seizure. Seizure = break dancing and/or foam from the mouth and fun for everyone at the party. If his engine were a later model with the HEUI injection system the engine will not run without oil pressure. Temp gauge could be more important (depending if you're a democrat or republican) but I would still choose oil. Oil Pressure FTW
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:20 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14
Re: 1991 Carpenter, International 7.3L A170 - General Questi

Veggie tip #1: Don't think about converting until you collect at least 200 gallons--AND you have the ability to collect 200 more.
#2: figure out where you're gonna store 200 gallons of oil.
#3: if you haven't got shot by your wife/gf/neighbors by having 200 gallons of oil around, now you may begin.

Where do you plan on taking the bus? If I lived in Tampa, I'd just dump it in the tank-25% diesel 75% veg. (7.3's are really forgiving)

If you plan on 2 tanking, and are staying in the south, i wouldn't worry much about heating the veg tank. Its only got to be able to flow up as far your heated filter.

The nice thing about buying a kit, you get tech support--and the abilty to ask questions of a known unit. (This is the path I took. I had 80k on my VW Jetta with a Greasecar kit before I did my bus.)

Not trying to sound discouraging--but its a serious undertaking that needs to be thought thru well.

i

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:54 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14

Yea-I'd recommend Greasecar. They've been around the longest-and their kit is is right in the middle -price + technology-wise.

It not as easy as it was a little as 3 years ago to collect oil. Now that diesel + heating oil have gone up in price and stayed up, its now profitable for companies to process oil for resale. Where mom+pops pizza place used to have to pay to get rid of old oil,( therefore glad someone would take it) these companies are now paying them -up to $1 a gallon. So the gravy train of free oil is coming to an end.

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:19 PM   #10
Almost There

Year: 1977
Chassis: International Harvester

There is a trucking company around where I live that started buying all the used oil from all the restaurants and chains in my area. My dad has an old diesel generator that he used to convert used oil for. We haven't been able to find old oil for several months now. The trucking company is getting contracts from all the chains for their used oil.
RavensOracle is offline   Reply With Quote