Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2015, 08:31 AM   #1

1992 thomas vista shortie

I am new to site and was looking for some feedback found a 1992 Thomas vista shortie 140k with the 7.3 non turbo motor w/ ac and hyd. Brakes bus doesn't appear to have any rust and is roughly a 20+ passenger so I was wondering would this make a good cruiser or are there any upgrades that are definitely needed on these motors?

transportb28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 01:06 PM   #2

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
What do you want it to do?

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 01:12 PM   #3

Just need a decent cruiser to transport about 18-20 adults to and from a commuter parking lot to work about 50 mile+ round trip each day currently using a passenger van with less ppl. Would like to be able to cruise hwy if possible just don't know a awful a lot about this particular style of older bus I'm use to the newer stuff lol
Old 06-24-2015, 02:05 PM   #4

The is an IDI engine. Not exactly a rocket ship. I have only driven one in a Ford pickup. There are mods that can be made to bump HP. There is someone that builds an injection pump and injectors for this engine.

Conestoga Diesel

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 06-24-2015, 02:10 PM   #5

Yeah I do know that they aren't the winner on take off but considering the round trip isn't too long I'm just hoping for reliability and durability may possibly straight pipe it and do a few minor improvements will definitely be looking to upgrade to something heavier duty within a few years all that's left now is for the diesel mechanic to do a full once over and if all is well I should pick it up by the weekend so we'll see how it goes I just hope I can at least get 65mph out of it some way some how
Old 06-25-2015, 10:49 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
There are upgrades out there. Conestoga is the main player for upgrades. There was a lot of aftermarket support for them 10 years ago, but now they are pretty much old tech and a lot of the distributors disappeared. You can still get a few different turbo kits, larger injection pumps, better injectors, etc. Google the oilburners forum. There's guys over there that eat, sleep, and breathe these old engines.

My bus has a 6.9 IDI. It's slow to get going. Not sure the power level(it's slightly over stock) but it still runs good. It will eventually get up to 70, however it will be at red line when it finally gets there. Your cruising speed will depend on what your bus is geared at.

There's only a few things you need to watch out for. Coolant condition is one of the major ones because these engines seem to suffer badly from cavitation. So make sure the additive and ph levels are correct. You also might run into bad glow plugs/module too, they're not too hard to replace. Only use Beru/motorcraft plugs. For the module you can use a toggle switch and bypass it altogether. Other than that, just perform routine maintenance and it should last pretty long.
Booyah45828 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 11:52 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
Those Thomas Vistas are so strange looking.. but in an intriguing sort of way.

I've not actually seen one other than on the internet, but I'd be concerned about engine access if there is a lot to do under the hood.
Old 06-26-2015, 05:33 PM   #8

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction for some good info its much appreciated
Old 06-26-2015, 05:38 PM   #9

Yes the Vista is a odd looking bus but this was strictly because of the deal that made me consider it we have a few of them as activity and special needs buses at my pt job so I'm somewhat familiar with them however they are way newer thanwith different motors and transmissions than the one I'm posting about. 1 thing is for sure they have great maneuverability!
Old 06-26-2015, 11:56 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
No experience with them personally but I have heard they ride like crap.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 09:52 AM   #11

Lol to be honest I don't think any 92 bus really rides all that great without a lil attention and improvements to the suspension
Old 06-27-2015, 09:56 AM   #12

Lol to be perfectly honest i don't think it's many 92 school or activity buses that ride all that great w/o a lil improvement being made to try them
Old 06-27-2015, 10:04 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
My 92 bus rides REALLY well.
Air ride out back helps that a lot. This bus rides like a dream compared to the Thomas I used to have.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 11:25 AM   #14
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by transportb28 View Post
Just need a decent cruiser to transport about 18-20 adults to and from a commuter parking lot to work about 50 mile+ round trip each day currently using a passenger van with less ppl. Would like to be able to cruise hwy if possible just don't know a awful a lot about this particular style of older bus I'm use to the newer stuff lol

I don't know how your state regulates it but I've been vanpooling for 27 yrs here in California with 13 other people, 140 mile round trip, They allow us to classify them as cummuter busses so we until last yr didn't have to pay bridge tolls but you go over 14 people then you have to get class B license & have DOT physical & be considered commercial vehical.
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 04:51 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by allwthrrider View Post
I don't know how your state regulates it but I've been vanpooling for 27 yrs here in California with 13 other people, 140 mile round trip, They allow us to classify them as cummuter busses so we until last yr didn't have to pay bridge tolls but you go over 14 people then you have to get class B license & have DOT physical & be considered commercial vehical.
Actually, in California, a Class B is required for over 9 passengers. Do they have an exemption for vanpools?

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 06-27-2015, 07:08 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
A large batch of them hit Govdeals awhile back, pretty sure there's at least a few still on there. They're somewhere in Florida I think.

The Vistas are really cheap, probably because they're so ugly.
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 07:26 PM   #17
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal View Post
Actually,

in California, a Class B is required for over 9 passengers. Do they have an exemption for vanpools?
Yes they do because their not for profit, if you own them yourself & I had 6 at one time your allowed to make a few hundred extra for a maintance account but if you run them for profit then you need the Class B

My motivation for doing it was I got to write off allthe depreciation on taxes plus it paid for all my gas for my personal vehicals & covered allmy insurance & phonebills
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 02:32 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by allwthrrider View Post
Yes they do because their not for profit, if you own them yourself & I had 6 at one time your allowed to make a few hundred extra for a maintance account but if you run them for profit then you need the Class B

My motivation for doing it was I got to write off allthe depreciation on taxes plus it paid for all my gas for my personal vehicals & covered allmy insurance & phonebills

Good to know.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 06-01-2017, 01:11 PM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1994
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Thomas Vista
Engine: T444E
where the air bags stock or a post install?
freppon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 01:28 PM   #20
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
I have the 7.3 IDI in an e350 ambulance. Is a stout, simple motor. I'll 2nd the BERU/Motorcraft only glow plugs- under $100/set. Braided metric fuel return lines and o rings will cause lost prime, so may need those- ~50 on ebay. DIY in a weekend, even in a van. soak those plugs w/ pb blaster first, gentle.

Not fast, but will run a long life.

I need to get rid of that ambulance. Was a NASA vehicle.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1992 thomas vista