Old 08-06-2015, 09:43 AM   #11
Bus Nut
Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Originally Posted by onenationundergoat View Post
I have a DT360 and it seems like it's not getting all the power it should. I have to rev it up quite a bit to get it up over a 3" or less edge to put it in the hangar. It has a turbo but doesn't make that "jet engine" whine noise. How can I test it and see if the turbo is working/has a problem?

Would adding an aftercooler help give a power boost? I've also heard it increases mpg.

Another theory is that maybe the fuel uptake filter is clogged (if it even has one?), as I've noticed some people mentioning that on here and saying it was starving the engine of fuel.
You don't need HP to get over the ledge, you need torque. Check your transmission to make sure it's in 1st gear and that the filters aren't plugged. A worn/loose torque converter could cause this as well.

In my experience, every dt360 never makes the high pitched squeal from a turbo lighting off (jet engine noise). I don't know if it's by design or something was wrong, but they're all quiet compared to modern vehicles with vgt/wastegates, which are used to shorten the time it takes to light the turbo.

An intercooler/aftercooler will only cool the incoming air. Which will only increase efficiency slightly. In order to make more power, you'll have to add more fuel.

Are you down on power on the highway? That is when you'll notice plugged fuel filters.

To be honest, I think you're just experiencing the nature of the at545. The stall speed of the torque converter is intentionally high on that trans which will create the effect your describing.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote