Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2016, 08:04 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: AMTRAM
Chassis: INT
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: Big Girl
1995 Genesis DT466 Need Some Advice

Hello, everyone first post here been lurking and thinking about doing this project for years. Well I decided to make a big yellow bus my Xmas gift to myself.

I found a 1995 AMTRAM Genesis with a DT466 and 645 tranny just fresh off the route, there new replacement bus has not even arrived yet really, the price they are asking is $2500 It has 120K with 6800 hours and air brakes.

Flat out peddle to the floor it will do 75, road test went ok, it has a notable problem shifting, 1-2 is fine 2-3 is fine but I would guess it's 3-4 is were the problem is, when it shifts it will bogged down very notable, then kind of come out of it and then shift the rest of the way I guess, I don't know, it was hard to pay very close attention considering I had not been inside of a bus since the mid 90s and never driven anything of that size or a bus before, and the dude with with me talking.

What's you guys view on this?

It's a perfect bus for a conversion, rides nice has a lot of storage etc And I really want it, I left the yard without the bus, the guy and I agreed if I paid full price he would run it though the shop and do the fuild's oil trans etc. I would have left with it that day if it was not for the shifting problem. He was saying he is going to have the shop also look at the trans problem as well.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0404.jpg  

bigskypc50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 08:22 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Detroit MBE906
Rated Cap: 72
Sounds like a pretty good deal if he can get the trans problem ironed out. I think the trans is gonna be a 643 rather than a 645, I don't think there's any such thing as a 645. I'm hoping a fluid and filter change will rectify it but at the same time I think there would be an issue with all the shifts if that were the case, not just 3-4.

After the work is done I would test drive it again to make sure it's all good before any funds are exchanged.
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
AlleyCat67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 09:02 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Ya...definitely get the trans sorted out before jumping off. Rebuilding or replacing a 643 can get expensive fast. Other than that, looks like a pretty sweet candidate. Best of luck with the deal.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 10:51 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
if its a 643.. it could either be a 643 or a 545 so get the VIN, call an international dealer and ask for a transmission filter for it.. then ask what transmission is in it.. you dont have to buy the filter there you just want to know what trans it is..

if its a 643, it will unlock the converter in 3rd gear, drop into 4th and re-lock the converter.. this feels like a bog down when the converter unlocks, the engine revs up a bit, then the shoft.. you are going to high gear which is going make your RPMs drop a bit but the bus doesnt gain speed as fast... then the converter re-locks and your rpms drop a bit more and the bus feels like it 'pulls'.. the same process happens going from 2-3 (I think tha 643 locks in 2nd gear.. correct me if im wrong).. however 2 and 3 are closer ratio gears so it doesnt feel 'boggy'...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 11:14 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH 3800
Engine: Navistar DT466E
Rated Cap: 72 passenger
From memory there is a modulator that controls downshift as well as lockup. If that is the problem, its a simple (cheap) fix.

Can anyone with a 643 can verify this? Or am I milking without a bucket here?
Old 12-10-2016, 02:16 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Agree with Christopher... My 643 shifts like nothing I've ever driven before... when it shifts, it's still pulling but it depends on the conditions
Old 12-10-2016, 05:14 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
How exciting, wow what a great Christmas present to yourself

My life is so much better and the kid in me sooo much happier since i take the time to spoil myself and treat myself to the things that i enjoy, and inviting a little guidance in, helps me to not hurt myself in the process.

Be awesome if nothing is wrong with the trans and that's just what Christopher described as its shifting ways.

Good luck!

Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 08:36 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

The way it is sitting in the picture suggests to me that it has an air ride suspension in the rear.

It is a great option to have for going down the road but you will need to invest in some sort of landing gear for when you are parked. Otherwise, as the air pressure bleeds off (there is no bus air system that will hold air pressure indefinitely--some take hours and some take days) you will find your bus is no longer level.

The price and condition suggest you have found a keeper.

Good luck and happy trails to you!
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 09:24 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
if its a 643.. it could either be a 643 or a 545 so get the VIN, call an international dealer and ask for a transmission filter for it.. then ask what transmission is in it.. you dont have to buy the filter there you just want to know what trans it is..

if its a 643, it will unlock the converter in 3rd gear, drop into 4th and re-lock the converter.. this feels like a bog down when the converter unlocks, the engine revs up a bit, then the shoft.. you are going to high gear which is going make your RPMs drop a bit but the bus doesnt gain speed as fast... then the converter re-locks and your rpms drop a bit more and the bus feels like it 'pulls'.. the same process happens going from 2-3 (I think tha 643 locks in 2nd gear.. correct me if im wrong).. however 2 and 3 are closer ratio gears so it doesnt feel 'boggy'...

-Christopher
You are correct. THis is EXACTLY how my 643 behaves.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 10:17 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: AMTRAM
Chassis: INT
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: Big Girl
Thanks guys for your awesome feedback, I called back the guy and committed to buying it once the fuilds are done. I will be sure and make a post with lots more photos, in the new members section, when I get her home hopefully later in the week.
Thanks again
bigskypc50 is offline   Reply With Quote