Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2017, 11:13 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Mid-bus
Chassis: international
Engine: t444e
Rated Cap: 49?
1996 engine codes and wiring a battery selector

I'm looking for a diagnostic list of engine codes for my '96 t444e. We're on the road for our honeymoon, got a Scan gauge and it's showing 252 and 164, but if I could have an entire list on hand that would be extremely helpful.

Also we have a solar battery bank on board and I would like to wire in a battery selector to charge these batteries when desired from the bus alternator. I've got the selector but am confused as to the best way to wire it. I know the general concept is to divert the main positive output from the alt to the selector, but I see 2 large wires coming off what I believe is the output charge stud. I have yet to chase these with a continuity meter but was thinking of pulling them both then running a new wire to the selector, and then one back to these 2 wires. (2 gauge or higher) But since I'm not sure what they are or where they go... thought I'd check in here first. Not sure if I divert power away from these both for a short while to charge the house battery if that may be a prob. The second wire looks like it goes into the cab, up near the heater can... A wiring diagram for this engine and chassis would be helpful, been looking with little success.

She's still running a bit hot, but with the scan gauge we can keep a closer eye on actual temps and know when to pull over to let it cool off 👍🏻

Thanks for whatever info or advice you can lend!

Bungeekord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 03:35 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Mid-bus
Chassis: international
Engine: t444e
Rated Cap: 49?
found codes, but have bigger problems now. see my latest post.
Bungeekord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 05:36 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
be sure you have the codes for the right version.. in 1996 you have the 3 box system and not the later Single-computer Diamond logic. . from what i understand some of the codes are different. unfortunately my diagnostic documentation doesnt go back that far.. it all starts with the diamond computers... or i would look them up for you.
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote