Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2018, 10:23 PM   #1

1999 AmTran Check Trans light

Good Evening! I have a 1999 Amtran schoolbus with the 466E Engine and a MD3060 Allison Transmission with electronic shift pad. When I turn on the ignition if the check trans light is on the bus will not go into gear. The next time the ignition is turned on the light may not come on and the bus shifts just fine. I get a code of D12216. Is the check trans light tied to the code or are these two separate issues. Any direction with this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thank You!

timsummers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 11:17 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444e
Quote:
Originally Posted by timsummers View Post
Good Evening! I have a 1999 Amtran schoolbus with the 466E Engine and a MD3060 Allison Transmission with electronic shift pad. When I turn on the ignition if the check trans light is on the bus will not go into gear. The next time the ignition is turned on the light may not come on and the bus shifts just fine. I get a code of D12216. Is the check trans light tied to the code or are these two separate issues. Any direction with this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thank You!

My quick google search gets you an "output speed sensor" fault on that code.

I suspect you may have an intermittent connection to the sensor, or faulty sensor....
mangus580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 11:38 PM   #3

Thank you for the information. Do you think a output speed sensor code would disallow the tranny from shifting into gear. I will check connection and keep you posted. Once again Thanks for your help
Old 04-19-2018, 07:31 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by timsummers View Post
Thank you for the information. Do you think a output speed sensor code would disallow the tranny from shifting into gear. I will check connection and keep you posted. Once again Thanks for your help
Yes, it would because the TCU on the transmission can't determine the shift points without that sensor.

It's more likely to be a wiring fault than a sensor fault.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 10:16 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2010
Coachwork: IC
Engine: MF DT466
Rated Cap: 81
I would check the plugs make sure the one out back has a little dielectric grease in it. Will prob take a while to run full length with hands but pay close attention to any place it goes through metal or around corners. Does rain or heavy moisture have any effect on it?
Miles O Roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 02:19 PM   #6

So this morning I crawled under the bus scraped away the grease unpluged and pluged the output speed sensor back in and the problem seems to have gone away. Thanks for the advise and I will keep you posted
Old 04-19-2018, 02:23 PM   #7

Thanks for the advice I will re-grease the plug. Hopefully I wont see that light again

Tags
check trans, electronic shifter, will not shift into gear