Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2016, 09:52 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 42
1999 Bluebird w/466 fluids

Hi, I just bought a 99 Bluebird 42 pass bus on a 3800IH with the DT466E and the 545 Allison. It only has 138,000mi. on it and only had 50 mi. put on the last year. I drove it home and it seems to run fine, but I want to know what fluids it uses. The service records say that they used 15W40 rotella for engine oil, but nothing about what power steering fluid, what trans fluid or gear oil for the rear. The dipstick on the power steering reservoir says use power steering fluid, but is there only one type? It has also had something called the DCA checked and adjusted often over its life. Not sure how to do that. No owners manual with it and Bluebird told me their manual doesn't cover the chassis, only their body.

siloguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 12:32 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
You'll want to use a 15W40 oil for older diesel engines. Shell Rotella is one common brand. Don't use oil formulated for newer diesel engines ... something about it being formulated differently for these EGR and DEF engines (someone posted a thread on this site going into detail about it). Steering fluid is steering fluid. Some people say transmission fluid *can* be used, and I suppose in a pinch you could but I wouldn't recommend it for any long term. DCA is the coolant additives that keep the system in good shape; these long-life coolants need this checked and replenished once or twice a year. Rear-gear oil is typically 80W90 oil or the like. I forget what fluid the Allison 545 uses, and it's too early in the day for my brain to look i up.

For a manual, you'll want to visit an IH dealer since they built the chassis and engine.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 01:10 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the AT545 uses standard GM style Dexron III transmission fluid...

most SAGINAW power steering pump will accept Dexron III transmission fluid.. However Tranny fluid can foam if you are one of those people trying to "inch out" that last little bit of turning radius by pulling on the wheel (grrrr!)... true power steering fluid wont..

the TAS series TRW steering gears have protection Poppets against wheel "pullers" but anything Non-sagninaw I wouldnt use ATF in unless it says you can..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 03:20 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks guys! Where would you pick up a test strip for the coolant DCA?
Old 07-12-2016, 11:20 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Any parts store should be able to get you a few. You won't need a whole bottle of 50 some strips because they go bad after a few years. You should be able to get a few of them in a smaller package. Make sure you get ones that test acidity, freeze point, and the correct additive level. Most truck shops should also be able to do this for you and steer you in the right direction for a nominal fee.

Most of your old steering systems can use atf. The only time I've ran into issue with using it is with hydroboost brake systems. It has to do with the friction modifiers that are present in atf vs power steering fluid. Both will foam when ran low, and both will have anti foaming agents.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 10:11 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

I got a test strip, got some coolant from the drain petcock, it tested good to -30 F freeze point and 2.1 DCA. 2.1 is in the good working range on the chart. If I replace the old coolant filter on it, will the DCA be raised too high? If the filter adds 4 units as most do, does that raise 4 gallons of coolant 1 point or (8 gallons half a point) like I think it does?