Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2018, 12:58 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
[2001] International T444E Thermostat / Gasket Replacement

So I've got a sweet old 2001 T444E International 3800 and I've been noticing when she sits a few months the coolant top off tank is totally empty. I was really sweating for awhile but after many weeks of searching I found a slow leak right at the thermostat (Page 244 of the service manual I posted in another thread). I figure it's probably time to replace the thermostat and the gasket, which is what's leaking in the first place, but I can't find the parts. Can anyone direct me in the right place? Should I do any other maintenance while I'm in there? Thanks in advance. Cadillackid, I'm hoping you might chime in on this one ...

Old 03-21-2018, 03:31 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolff View Post
So I've got a sweet old 2001 T444E International 3800 and I've been noticing when she sits a few months the coolant top off tank is totally empty. I was really sweating for awhile but after many weeks of searching I found a slow leak right at the thermostat (Page 244 of the service manual I posted in another thread). I figure it's probably time to replace the thermostat and the gasket, which is what's leaking in the first place, but I can't find the parts. Can anyone direct me in the right place? Should I do any other maintenance while I'm in there? Thanks in advance. Cadillackid, I'm hoping you might chime in on this one ...
thermostat leaks are common on these... the thermostat uses a rubber O-ring and not a traditional gasket, ive got several different ones ive tried in mine. the factory recommended is a ~190f variant.. Im using a 180 in mine.. there have been quality control issues over the years where the O-rings on replacements werent thick enough.. Ive got some Tstats in my garage, when I get hiome i'll pull them out and get the part numbers for you. they might even be in my 'got a bus in tx how to drive it away' thread.. the Tstat and O-ring are sold as one part and not separate.

make sure that the coolant isnt running down from the hose clamp... I found coolant on my Tstat housing one day and realized it had been trickling down from the hose clamp and pooling in that area..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 04:25 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Thanks buddy! How have you been??? I knew you'd know. I found a few on eBay that look like they'd fit, but would like an oem replacement . ... I think 180 is a good mod. A part number would be MUCH appreciated before I pull that thermostat housing off. Hey, while I've got your attention, check out our old thread on aftermarket gauges in a few minutes ... Bluefire for trucks added a digital gauges option for the J1708/J1939 protocol!!! So sweet! Im pulling out my old cluster asap and upgrading with a digital screen.
Old 03-21-2018, 04:51 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Quote:
Thanks buddy! How have you been??? I knew you'd know. I found a few on eBay that look like they'd fit, but would like an oem replacement . ... I think 180 is a good mod. A part number would be MUCH appreciated before I pull that thermostat housing off. Hey, while I've got your attention, check out our old thread on aftermarket gauges in a few minutes ... Bluefire for trucks added a digital gauges option for the J1708/J1939 protocol!!! So sweet! Im pulling out my old cluster asap and upgrading with a digital screen.
Sounds cool...

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 10:36 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Chris, any word on that thermostat/gasket? I might just pop the housing open and find something that looks like it'll fit on ebay..
Old 03-23-2018, 06:29 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Quote:
Chris, any word on that thermostat/gasket? I might just pop the housing open and find something that looks like it'll fit on ebay..
oops forgot to update the thread!.

the 180 degree thermostat is a bit hard to find, and getting any 444E thermostat with the right gasket is a bit tricky.. the 180 was technically only offered on the older version of the engine, im using iut succesfully in my late model ..

the Listed Navistar part number for the 180 T-stat is 1845805C1
the Listed Navistar part number for the 190 T-stat is 1845804C1
an aftermarket company by the name of PAI makes a 180. its part number is 481829
PAI also makes a 190 which is 481828

now lets make things complicated because navistar did! I also have a 1845805C2 thermostat which is a 180, it ***SEEMS*** like the 2 are identical.. ?? some how i ended up with both....

I was told by a friend that there are various ones floating around that have different gasket thicknesses but I have gotten no one to tell me which is which.

whats in my bus now? a 1845805C1 with a gasket off a 1845804C1.

some pics for reference.

from left to right.

1. 1845805C1
2. 1845805C2
3. PAI481829

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2997.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	402.6 KB
ID:	20094

you can see the PAI has the thickest gasket.. (I probably wouldve used this in my bus except it got lost in shipping and I needed to go on a trip.. it came along later so I have never used it but it seems they make replacements for navistar.

running temperatures - with my 180 Tstat in 0f degree weather on the highway the bus will run 175-180. runs cooler in town.. (caveat - I drive around with every heater on maxx and my coat off so I pull lots of heat off the engine in town).

when I had the 190 Tstat in. driving in 0f weather. id run in that 185-190 range on the highway and cooler in town (as expected).

hope this helps??
-Christopher
Old 03-23-2018, 08:57 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Thank you! Chris, you are a lifesaver. I found the PAI part for $16.27 ... I assume that includes the gasket. Is the PAI part number you gave me the 180 variant, and should the gasket that comes with it fit? Is there any reason I should spend a bit more for the Navistar versions? I dont mind buying both and using the gasket from the 190. I really like the idea of running the engine a little cooler.

Thank you for all of your help, Chris... you are a valuable asset to this forum.
warewolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 09:22 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Quote:
Thank you! Chris, you are a lifesaver. I found the PAI part for $16.27 ... I assume that includes the gasket. Is the PAI part number you gave me the 180 variant, and should the gasket that comes with it fit? Is there any reason I should spend a bit more for the Navistar versions? I dont mind buying both and using the gasket from the 190. I really like the idea of running the engine a little cooler.

Thank you for all of your help, Chris... you are a valuable asset to this forum.
I cant see much difference in the Navistar vs the PAI.. it looks like PAI may have actually supplied them for navistar at some point. (or may still)..

an OEM navistar is one that failed on me only a couple months after I put it in last year.

about 1/2 way down on this page. LOL

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f18/go...-15124-21.html

the gasket looks beefier on the PAI.. just be careful when you put it on.. clean everything up good and then I went around the bolts several times to mske sure that gasket seated evenly.. even though they were a PITA to get to with my air-brake compressor in the way.

i didnt use any sealer or RTV, was told not to on an O-ring seal.

lets hope for good energy, no leaks, and a cooler running summer ride for you!

-Christopher