Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-22-2019, 05:51 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 18
5 steering wheel buttons but only 3 wires out?

Hi. There are 5 buttons on my steering wheel: doors off/on, flashers, red, horn. However, there are only 3 wires leading away from the steering wheel. Could anyone explain? Thanks

IC CE300 2005
pratokko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 06:53 PM   #2
Bus Nut
 
Rovobay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Damascus, OR
Posts: 600
Year: 2004
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e w/ 2000 Allison Trans
Rated Cap: 35
Pictures help.... probably 2 were never installed. again, pictures speak a great deal
__________________
My Build: http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/sk...doo-22140.html

Follow our build on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/skoolie_doo/
Rovobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 07:11 PM   #3
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,425
Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by pratokko View Post
Hi. There are 5 buttons on my steering wheel: doors off/on, flashers, red, horn. However, there are only 3 wires leading away from the steering wheel. Could anyone explain? Thanks

IC CE300 2005

Either that, or more likely, there's a small circuit board in the wheel, 2 wires are power/ground and the last one is "signal"; a small decoder somewhere receives the "signal" and activates the appropriate thing.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 12:07 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
Either that, or more likely, there's a small circuit board in the wheel, 2 wires are power/ground and the last one is "signal"; a small decoder somewhere receives the "signal" and activates the appropriate thing.
wow! so you are saying they converted to digital just to save 2 wires?

As far as pictures go, it's not picturesque. There is the horn and 2 2 position toggle switches on the wheel and there is a three wire connector from the wheel (the only connector). thanks

PS: where do the wires go to? It's a shame I cannot track down a wiring diagram
pratokko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 06:17 AM   #5
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Picton,Ont, Can.
Posts: 1,633
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by pratokko View Post
Hi. There are 5 buttons on my steering wheel: doors off/on, flashers, red, horn. However, there are only 3 wires leading away from the steering wheel. Could anyone explain? Thanks

IC CE300 2005



Here is an example for you. You push the wheel centre for the horn. What does that do to make the horn blow? It completes the power circuit to ground. The power was already supplied by the horn relay, fusing etc. So you hear your horn.


Could be the same for the doors, flashers etc too so just run a jumper from each of the 3 wires to ground and see what happens. You might need the ign on but maybe not, try both ways.


John
__________________
Question everything!
BlackJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 02:21 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJohn View Post
Here is an example for you. You push the wheel centre for the horn. What does that do to make the horn blow? It completes the power circuit to ground. The power was already supplied by the horn relay, fusing etc. So you hear your horn.


Could be the same for the doors, flashers etc too so just run a jumper from each of the 3 wires to ground and see what happens. You might need the ign on but maybe not, try both ways.


John
Hi John. I understand that. I did consider the ground circuit. But still - 3 wires is not enough to operate 5 buttons. thanks
pratokko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 02:49 PM   #7
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 17,728
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by pratokko View Post
Hi John. I understand that. I did consider the ground circuit. But still - 3 wires is not enough to operate 5 buttons. thanks
are any of the buttons redundant?
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 03:16 PM   #8
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: West Ohio
Posts: 1,068
Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by pratokko View Post
Hi John. I understand that. I did consider the ground circuit. But still - 3 wires is not enough to operate 5 buttons. thanks
Sure it is.

I don't have a wiring diagram in front of me.

But if I had to guess, they add different resistors to the switches, and operate in a similar fashion to that of your cruise control switches on your car steering wheel operate by. Each button has a different resistance, which has a different voltage drop sensed by a logic controller.

4 of the 5 buttons operate like this on one wire. 1 wire operates the horn, and 1 is ground.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 06:37 PM   #9
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 11,359
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
Sure it is.

I don't have a wiring diagram in front of me.

But if I had to guess, they add different resistors to the switches, and operate in a similar fashion to that of your cruise control switches on your car steering wheel operate by. Each button has a different resistance, which has a different voltage drop sensed by a logic controller.

4 of the 5 buttons operate like this on one wire. 1 wire operates the horn, and 1 is ground.

THIS!


different resistances... 3 wires.. so likely you have a controlled signal voltage wire... or VCC as its called at +5 volts... then you have a signal ground wire.. (comes from the ECM for a good reference).. and a signal return wire..



when you press a button a resistance is applied to that 5 volts and thus lowers it.. and returns the lowered voltasge back to the computer.. the computer sees the lowered voltage and knows by the value which button you pressed.. pressing 2 at the same time often results in none being acted on. the resistances are purposely set up so that pressing 2 or more buttons at once will not add up to a non programmed function or something erroneous...



-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 11:06 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
THIS!


different resistances... 3 wires.. so likely you have a controlled signal voltage wire... or VCC as its called at +5 volts... then you have a signal ground wire.. (comes from the ECM for a good reference).. and a signal return wire..



when you press a button a resistance is applied to that 5 volts and thus lowers it.. and returns the lowered voltasge back to the computer.. the computer sees the lowered voltage and knows by the value which button you pressed.. pressing 2 at the same time often results in none being acted on. the resistances are purposely set up so that pressing 2 or more buttons at once will not add up to a non programmed function or something erroneous...



-Christopher
Hi. Are you guessing or do you know that this is how it works? I am familiar in electronics how this can all work I just couldn't believe that IC would go out of their way using the computer to measure voltages to route a switch just to save on wires. That seems crazy since we are talking about simple one pole push button switches (again: horn, door open/close, flashers).

If people who responded are guessing that this is what happens in my bus, how can I find out for sure? No use trouble shooting unless I know exactly what's going on. Thanks
pratokko is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.