Old 05-25-2019, 08:26 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

'95 vista oil pan removal

hey all,

yeah i'm a new user and fully intend on filling out my info but am stuck at a truck stop at the moment so time is of the essence lol

anyway, I have a 1995 Thomas vista w/ a T444e+at545 that my family and I have been wandering the country in for about a year, and yesterday the oil pan blew out going down a country highway. it had rusted around the dimpled out portion that encircles the drain plug enough so that about 1/2 of that circle (for those unfamiliar specifically, it's the diameter of a large orange) was ripped through and obviously I lost oil (and fuel) pressue.

I thumbed it to a nearby Walmart and bought some steelstik to smack on there which got me limping (along with more oil) to a small truck stop down the road.

Now normally, i'd thoroughly research a job like replacing the oilpan via youtube etc first hand no ones perfect so I got all the bolts off, and disconnected the dipstick tube where it bolts to the valve covers and expected the pan to be able to come right down. it does not. I know that it's catching where the dipstick adapter hits the starter, and will (ugh) pull the starter in the morning to see if that clears it but everything I've belatedly read online says I have to jack up the front of the engine and remove the front crossmember to get it free and i'm hoping that isn't the case... - I will post pics as soon as the sun comes back btw it's about dark here now...

So my question really is has anyone replaced a vista/int3600 t444e oilpan? were they able to do so w/o removing the front crossmember? cause if I have to do that with no cash, no shop quality toolset, by myself, in the middle of nowhere, while my kids bounce the dang bus all around.... I want a medal or something lol

thanks and nice to meet you all in advance
superbusWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 08:35 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 2005
Chassis: School bus
Engine: Cummins
I've not changed one yet myself but it looks roomy enough on mine .
Been in similar predicament myself God bless
Doe69936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 09:04 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

yours is also a t444 vista? I thought the same, hopefully pulling the starter clears enough room. I actually might try yanking out the dipstick adapter w/o pulling the starter first cause i'd have to pull it off anyway...
Old 05-25-2019, 09:45 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran/Wolfington
Chassis: 3800
Engine: International DT466E 195HP variant
Rated Cap: 72 pax 29500 GVWR
The pan is shot correct? Get a $10 barber freight grinder and cut the old one off if you can’t remove it. Not sure what the Vista looks like underneath but if you can get the suspension to drop maybe you can access more to put a new pan in.
WARGEAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 09:52 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

yeah I carry a grinder and Sawzall, that's a decent idea about being able to access more with the old pan off, thx bud
Old 05-25-2019, 11:41 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
where?

If you would post your breakdown location, some of us out here might be able to come to you and assist. I cant offer just yet because I have no idea where you are.

william - topeka kansas
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 12:21 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

just a bit south of Wisconsin rapids, WI atm bud - probably a bit far from Kansas unfortunately, kind of you to offer though - gotta love this community
Old 05-26-2019, 12:49 AM   #8
Bus Nut

can you weld?

put the pan back on...... clean out oil as much as you can....... take a sheet of clean new metal..... weld over hole, kind of like patching hole in boat hull. get bus to where you need to go.....then fix it when you have tools.... might -- this is a big might..... seam sealer, patch, rivets....... even sheet metal screws.... go around the problem till you get it home.....

hope this gives a working idea

william
Old 05-26-2019, 12:58 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

ahh yeah I didn't think about renting a zapper.. dang I should've thought of that before getting the pan half off and buying the new pan.. i very well might silicon the old pan back up and weld it closed... any thoughts on welding on a vehicle with diesel in the lines? i know it's generally a no-no with gassers... also with oil residue inside the pan? i haven't welded since high school, but i would think motor oil residue would present a half decent risk of combustion when exposed to that kinda heat … that's a good idea assuming the flare up risk is minimized... thanks man for sure
Old 05-26-2019, 01:26 AM   #10
Bus Nut

thoughts

get two bottle of gas,,,, let one of the bottles fill up areas and purge out oxyagen, then even if the oil gets hot ... no burn....... the other used in the mig welder..... but for this road side repair at less cost

really the one i like the best is seam sealer, and a sheet of new metal.. two rows of screws around the out side......screw right through the two sheets and let sealer seal screws....... messy, least cost and pretty sure it will get you home... not silicone.... seam sealer.... however if you use silly cone... my favorite is grey permatex 599 best for use in oil locations... like oil pans.

I think they have redone the grey permatex and now may be a different part number.....

william