Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-04-2019, 11:06 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 35
AC leak...

OK so my 97 international blue bird bus has and AC leak... I found the leak but for the life of me I have never seen a more getto rigged system. I have have NEVER seen an AC line with a HOSE CLAMP! And that's where my leak is... WTF do I do about it?!
Necro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 11:09 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 35
That's where the leak is. You can even tell it's a little wet
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190904_110801.jpg (291.5 KB, 8 views)
Necro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 11:24 AM   #3
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 11,860
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
looks like that got too close to the turbo and likelty they cut a section out and spliced it..



you can get a crimp splice for that line and then I believe the loan-a-tool from auto zone for A/C line crimp..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 05:59 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 35
NOPE! Every AC line on here looks like that. Even the ones that aren't leaking...
Necro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 06:15 PM   #5
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 11,860
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I used to see this in R12 systems but never on 134a unless it was a total half ass job..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 06:33 PM   #6
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 287
Year: 1999
Coachwork: American Cargo 14'L x 7'8"W x 7'H Box
Chassis: Ford E350 Cutaway
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 11500 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Necro View Post
OK so my 97 international blue bird bus has and AC leak... I found the leak but for the life of me I have never seen a more getto rigged system. I have have NEVER seen an AC line with a HOSE CLAMP! And that's where my leak is... WTF do I do about it?!
Where are you located? I have the crimping tool and plenty of hoses.
alpine44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 07:03 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 35
Trinity, Tx
Necro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 11:38 AM   #8
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 4,935
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I used to see this in R12 systems but never on 134a unless it was a total half ass job..
Hey Christopher,

I have a related question :

My truck has a minor leak in the A/C. The last couple of summers I have needed to add 1-2 small cans of refrigerant t get the A/C to cool properly. Should I be concerned about adding too much oil doing this?

Thanks.

S.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 11:43 AM   #9
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 11,860
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Hey Christopher,

I have a related question :

My truck has a minor leak in the A/C. The last couple of summers I have needed to add 1-2 small cans of refrigerant t get the A/C to cool properly. Should I be concerned about adding too much oil doing this?

Thanks.

S.

as long as you buy the plain cans you will be fine.. unless you see a noticeable oil splotch on the condensor or lines.. then every few years you can add a can that also contains oil.. only ever add one can of 134A that contains dye or stop leak.. otherwise just plain 134a doesnt contain oil.. and never buy the cans that say "enhanced for colder air".. theres an additive in there they claim makes it colder.. im not convinced it isnt a non-condensable..



eventually the leak will get bigger and you can find it and fix it.. until then you can add.. just dont over-charge it to try and get it to "last all year" or such..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 12:04 PM   #10
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 4,935
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
as long as you buy the plain cans you will be fine.. unless you see a noticeable oil splotch on the condensor or lines.. then every few years you can add a can that also contains oil.. only ever add one can of 134A that contains dye or stop leak.. otherwise just plain 134a doesnt contain oil.. and never buy the cans that say "enhanced for colder air".. theres an additive in there they claim makes it colder.. im not convinced it isnt a non-condensable..



eventually the leak will get bigger and you can find it and fix it.. until then you can add.. just dont over-charge it to try and get it to "last all year" or such..

-Christopher
Thank you.

I may break down and take it to the shop. I have had a UV leak Finding kit in my Amazon wish list for almost two years..... I keep procrastinating....
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.