Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2018, 11:40 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Amtrans
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 20 (9 window handicap)
Adding a hand throttle to Mechanical DT466

My 95 Amtran with a mechanical DT466 has a spot on the dash for a hand throttle, but didn't come with one. I've seen several generic locking control cables for sale that will allow you to lock in a setting and have the push button release like the original. But they are simply a cable at the attachment point.

I haven't seen any good photos of how it attaches to the throttle linkage to ensure that you don't have any binding.

I'd like to the ability to have a high idle, without spending the money on a cruiseking and the cable seems like a simple solution since they were used for years.

I suppose any all mechanical diesels would be similar if anyone can point me to some pictures or any advice on the addition.

I've seen a few videos of some of the jeep guys adding a hand throttle, and it looks like they just count on a braided cable, and create a big loop that only allows it to pull. Was curious if there was a better setup for the factory hand throttles on diesels.

Tigerman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 01:49 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Yep...just a cable connected to the throttle. Some hot rodders have used them as a poor mans cruise control for years but it is most unwise.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 02:58 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Amtrans
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 20 (9 window handicap)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Yep...just a cable connected to the throttle. Some hot rodders have used them as a poor mans cruise control for years but it is most unwise.

Yup, I was thinking of using it only for a high idle if I need to warm up the motor and trans. Using it as a poor mans cruise, seems like a great idea until something goes wrong, and then it will go really wrong really quickly.

I know a cruiseking would give me both cruise and high idle, but I think they are in the ~500 range. I saw a universal cruise set up that someone mentioned, and I think it was about half of that. I thought adding the mechanical hand throttle only adds another $50 to get me a high idle solution.
Tigerman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 07:26 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
on my DTA360 mechanical, the hand throttle is a cable that attaches to the accelerator pedal itself then loops around to the dash. this cable is stiffer than a normal throttle cable so it holds when pulled out.

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote