Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-23-2016, 10:15 AM   #1
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 4,775
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Allison 1000 behind a DT466?

Hey Everyone,

I was browsing buses for sale and came across an '01 International that they claim has a DT466 and an Allison 1000.

A bus with a DT466 and a 5 speed lockup auto would be a great platform for me but...

As far as I can tell an '01 Allison 1000 is limited to 520 ft.lb. of torque. I have a bit of trouble believing that they would put that behind a DT466.

Is that a "real" combination or do you think the seller is mistaken? Or perhaps the original tranny was replaced with the 1000?

What do you all think?

Thanks

Steve
PNW_Steve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 10:59 AM   #2
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 18,237
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Hey Everyone,

I was browsing buses for sale and came across an '01 International that they claim has a DT466 and an Allison 1000.

A bus with a DT466 and a 5 speed lockup auto would be a great platform for me but...

As far as I can tell an '01 Allison 1000 is limited to 520 ft.lb. of torque. I have a bit of trouble believing that they would put that behind a DT466.

Is that a "real" combination or do you think the seller is mistaken? Or perhaps the original tranny was replaced with the 1000?

What do you all think?

Thanks

Steve
If 466's were coupled with 545's, I don't see why a lower-hp spec DT wouldn't be ok with a 1000.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 02:37 PM   #3
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 4,775
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
If 466's were coupled with 545's, I don't see why a lower-hp spec DT wouldn't be ok with a 1000.
I finally found hp/torque specs on the various DT builds. It looks like the only version of the DT466 that does not exceed max torque ratings on the 1000 is the 195hp/520ft.lb. version.

Soooo close.... I expect that if it really has a 1000 then it must be a 195/520 spec'd engine. I imagine that upgrading the tune on the engine to 215 or 230hp would be a bad idea with that transmission.
PNW_Steve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 02:54 PM   #4
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 4,775
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I looked at the 545 specs and Allison calls for a max 445 ft.lb. of input torque. The mildest build of the DT466 is rated at 520 ft.lbs of torque.

I did a very brief search for skoolies with a DT466 and a 545 and didn't see any. The dozen or so that I looked at had MT643, MD3060,2500 or were simply listed as Auto.

I also came across the following discussion regarding transmissions and the DT466: Allison Transmission + Int'l Engine Question - School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums

"About the transmissions — I had a feeling that an AT-545 would be too small. I've noticed the AT-545s in the full-sized transit-style school buses around here don't seem to last very long. That's what concerned me about the used buses I drove yesterday. I don't want to buy something that's going to give me problems down the road (literally)."

Am I missing something??
PNW_Steve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 04:28 PM   #5
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 18,237
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I looked at the 545 specs and Allison calls for a max 445 ft.lb. of input torque. The mildest build of the DT466 is rated at 520 ft.lbs of torque.

I did a very brief search for skoolies with a DT466 and a 545 and didn't see any. The dozen or so that I looked at had MT643, MD3060,2500 or were simply listed as Auto.

I also came across the following discussion regarding transmissions and the DT466: Allison Transmission + Int'l Engine Question - School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums

"About the transmissions — I had a feeling that an AT-545 would be too small. I've noticed the AT-545s in the full-sized transit-style school buses around here don't seem to last very long. That's what concerned me about the used buses I drove yesterday. I don't want to buy something that's going to give me problems down the road (literally)."

Am I missing something??
I HATE the 545. But there were PLENTY of them put behind the DT466.
Cal has one.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 07:36 PM   #6
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 4,775
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I HATE the 545. But there were PLENTY of them put behind the DT466.
Cal has one.
I understand the hate . I have never driven one and I hate them already. I put MANY miles on a 740 and always wished for one more gear but I did appreciate the lockup converter. Four forward gears and no lockup? YUK!!!!!!!

Any thoughts on the 1000 behind the DT466? I would be more comfortable with a 2500 or a 3060 but this may be as good as it gets. The rig has less than 100k miles on it.
PNW_Steve is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.