Old 05-07-2016, 03:52 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH 3800
Engine: Navistar DT466E
Rated Cap: 72 passenger
AT545 question

When I changed the fluid in my AT545, circumstances conspired to make me change it when cool-ish. I got about 15-ish quarts out of it just by pulling the plug, filter, and waiting. That means there was only about 3 quarts up in the converter.

Does this seem right to you AT545 owners? Seems like there should have been a lot less fluid available in the pan and more in the converter.

Supporting data point, when I check the dipstick hot *immediately* after shutdown, the fluid level is in the correct range. Wait six hours and the level is stable at "really REALLY overfull". Anyone else seeing this?

I'm not complaining as it makes converting to Transynd a bit cheaper, but I want to make sure its not a harbinger of future doom.
Old 05-07-2016, 04:31 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Get an oil sample if in question.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 05:21 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
Changed mine on Thursday. Cold also, 4 gallons out, 4 gallons in (emptied the spin on filter but did not change it). Upon start up the stick shows cold level OK.

The TC will drain back, then pump up when running. Not unusual.
Old 05-07-2016, 05:48 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Chassis: IH 3800
Engine: Navistar DT466E
Rated Cap: 72 passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kool4skool View Post
Changed mine on Thursday. Cold also, 4 gallons out, 4 gallons in (emptied the spin on filter but did not change it). Upon start up the stick shows cold level OK.

The TC will drain back, then pump up when running. Not unusual.
Awesome! Thanks for sharing your experience.
Old 05-08-2016, 12:42 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison 545
Rated Cap: 2
good to know, i am want to change to a synthetic too and the does take the bite out. i was expecting 5 gallons.

im not seeing trysynd at any of the stores but do see other synthetic trans fluids like mobil1 and a few others that list Allison compatibility. seems they're all pricey. especially when the 545 was spec'd dexron.

please post results of your fluid change. im on the fence about the synthetics.
Old 05-08-2016, 06:29 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
remember when they state how much the tranny holds it does not include the cooling system or external filters
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 06:49 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Her, me and Molly
Mobile One isn't the same. Mobile Delvac Synthetic ATF is. Do your homework, there are a number of brands that are the same, it has to have been TESTED to meet the Allison spec. (some have not). I found the best price at an oil distributer. I did a lot of research and found the Mobile for $172 for 5 gal.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 08:40 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Do you really think its worth it going to synthetic oil? how much of a improvement would it really make?, I change mine and the filter every 2 years with dino atf from petro Canada. I'm just not sure about synthetics on these old trannys, and engines, I believe in frequent oil changes. Now if I had shiny new bus, then yes to synthetics gbstewart
Old 05-08-2016, 09:16 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Her, me and Molly
I think it is, my temps were getting really close to the "too high" for dino oils. At least with the synthetic I don't have to worry about that. I think my temps are cooler now although, I haven't been in any mountains since I made the change.
I also found out it makes a big difference where the temp is taken. My temp sender is in the location that senses torque converter temp, I didn't thing the cooler was working. I have since added a sending unit to the pan, the cooler drops the temp about 40 degrees. Still, that 300 degrees at the torque converter is getting a bit hot for dino oil.
Do a little internet searching, there are a lot of posts on various sites by the guy who did the research and wrote the specs while he worked at Allison.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:24 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa View Post
I think it is, my temps were getting really close to the "too high" for dino oils. At least with the synthetic I don't have to worry about that. I think my temps are cooler now although, I haven't been in any mountains since I made the change.
I also found out it makes a big difference where the temp is taken. My temp sender is in the location that senses torque converter temp, I didn't thing the cooler was working. I have since added a sending unit to the pan, the cooler drops the temp about 40 degrees. Still, that 300 degrees at the torque converter is getting a bit hot for dino oil.
Do a little internet searching, there are a lot of posts on various sites by the guy who did the research and wrote the specs while he worked at Allison.
Good point about the temps, I never really notice my tranny getting hot, always runs the same, but I haven't run high mountains.
Have you notice any leaks started ? synthetic is so much thinner, I heard of leaks starting in oils seals
tks
gbstewart