Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2017, 08:32 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 35
Bleeding ABS Brakes

I just replaced the master cylinder on my 2001 International Amtran and while reading the directions on my vacuum tool it had a warning about ABS brakes being potentially hazardous if they are bled wrong. I had never considered this before on other vehicles, but don't want to mess up anything. Has anyone here bled they're bus brakes and did you have to do anything special? My ABS is a Kelsey Hayes 410M, but I haven't found any good info yet.

bstewrat3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 08:38 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Startrans
Chassis: Ford e-350 single wheel
Engine: 5.4 litre
Rated Cap: 12
Ya, on cars I just drive it in gravel and lock the brakes up so the abs module activates and you hear the ratchet noise. Do this several times and rebleed the brakes after each time. A bus on the other hand , well good luck with that method.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bstewrat3 View Post
I just replaced the master cylinder on my 2001 International Amtran and while reading the directions on my vacuum tool it had a warning about ABS brakes being potentially hazardous if they are bled wrong. I had never considered this before on other vehicles, but don't want to mess up anything. Has anyone here bled they're bus brakes and did you have to do anything special? My ABS is a Kelsey Hayes 410M, but I haven't found any good info yet.
leadsled01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 09:26 AM   #3
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Lock em up !

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadsled01 View Post
Ya, on cars I just drive it in gravel and lock the brakes up so the abs module activates and you hear the ratchet noise.
Works good to trick the ABS into actuating and bleeding the air out. Wet grass or icy road works just as well. Brakes need to lock, pedal needs to pulse.

Probably not in the Service Manual tho...
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 11:33 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Best luck I've had bleeding brakes is using a pump that connects at bleeders & pumps fluid back to the master cylinder .
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 02:16 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu & Filo. T View Post
Best luck I've had bleeding brakes is using a pump that connects at bleeders & pumps fluid back to the master cylinder .
I don't know if the ABS controller is going to let that happen. I guess I'll just take it for a drive and see if I can work the bubbles through and bleed it a couple times unless a better method comes along before then.
Old 06-12-2017, 02:17 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Just to follow up here is how things worked out.

I was able to find the remanufactured master cylinder at O'Reilly Auto Parts for $114 which beat the $440 for a new one from International. I bench bled the new master using the included plugs for the brake line ports prior removing the old one. When I disconnected the old brake lines I made sure the opening was always the highest point to avoid any leakage of the fluid which was right at the opening. Once the new master was bolted up I removed the bleeder plugs one at a time and connected the brake lines quickly to avoid leakage. Once the install was complete I decided to see how spongy the brake pedal was before bleeding and found no softness at all, so I cautiously drove it to a large vacant lot near my house to do some hard stops. I did several stops forward and in reverse and had no issues, so I decided to not mess with a good thing and try bleeding through the ABS system. I took it on a 400 mile road trip yesterday and everything is still good. It may not be the recommended process, but it so far has worked for me.
Old 06-12-2017, 02:30 PM   #7
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Thumbs up

Very Good News !

I've learned to savor the victories (reasonable parts procurement, successful installation) so as to reduce the sting of defeats.

Sometimes You Eat the Bear, and Sometimes the Bear Eats You.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote