Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2018, 02:21 PM   #81
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466e
I have an isolator switch but wanted to confirm how to hook it up. Some people, including 2 different people from 2 different auto parts stores, told me i didnt need a new additional wire while others told me i did. Need to watch more youtube vids on the subject

adic27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:26 PM   #82
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466e
Happy to report that I have left the bus sitting for 2 weeks or more and it still starts u
Right up.

Will having the dome lights on for a while drain the batteries?
adic27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:41 PM   #83
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
you may have knocked an oil return line loose when you changed out your alternator.. depending on what all accessories you gave, some of them are requiring of oil lines.. and its easy to knock something loose.. I would fill it up with oil, start it and look for it..

also the oil gauge is not the oil level but the oil pressure.. if that drops down low and the oil light and alarm is ringing, shut the bus down right away.. you are risking running your bearings without oil and ruining the engine rather quickly..

if your DT466 is a DT-466E (has the computer on the side of it) then the loss of oil pressure will shut your engine down for you as the injection pressure runs out..

I know on at least one member's bus there was an oil line going to the alternator.. make sure you didnt accidentilly leave a line off going to the alternator.

it also sounds like you burned up the new alternator with the bad battery. or some other item that loaded it down. you can try returning it if you got it from a national chain.. and say this was defective..
-Christopher
Don't both batteries have to be replaced?

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:48 PM   #84
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
The firs thing to do is have *ALL* the batteries checked. And matched. One dead battery will drain good ones as they try to "charge" the weak one. One of those "weakest link" things. Matching is similar to making sure all the links are the same strength.

Once the batteries are sorted, you need to see if something - anything is draining them while parked. Any light on? Any relay stuck on? Any alarm active? (This can be a very tricky process). Remove fuses one-by-one until you find the offending circuit (I'd replace 'em as you go, otherwise you could get 'em all mixed up).

Once you're done with that, have the alternator and charging circuit checked. The way I see it, the factory put certain wires in certain places for a reason; they don't just do it for nothing. Only leave a wire disconnected if you *KNOW* what it's for (and not just because some trucker told you to; though that could be a way for at least getting home). If a connected wire is getting hot, there's a reason and it needs to be diagnosed and corrected.

I'm not fully understanding which wire you're leaving disconnected. I'm also a little unclear which cable you're disconnecting when you refer to the voltage readings. Is this while the engine is running?

You should be running at least 13 volts on the road - and no more than about 15. You may have a somewhat lower reading right after starting up (as I do) but it should come up to 13 or so within a minute or two. Some alternators need a minimum RPM before they begin charging (this is to reduce mechanical load on the engine/starter while cranking), others are happy to generate right away. Give the engine a quick rev after startup if needed to start charging the batteries.
Let me also suggest investing in a main power disconnect switch...

Old 02-14-2018, 11:04 PM   #85
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by adic27 View Post
Anyone care to chime in on how to install that isolator switch?
Ok...you probably resolved this issue...but any way...https://youtu.be/EtLGUgkqneM