Old 08-06-2017, 12:57 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466e
Bus broke down

Whats the typical cost for having a bus towed? I need it towed to a shop not to far from where it broke down. Maybe a mile or 2 away

Please see thread below for details which is the last reply posted by me in that thread

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f18/pus-purchase-18140.html

Any help would be appreciated
adic27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 01:02 PM   #2
Almost There

Year: 1999
Engine: DT466E Allison 3000
Rated Cap: 84 Kids/56 Adults
I have AAA plus RV and since my bus is registered as a recreational vehicle the $85/year covers 4 tows up to 100 miles each

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 08-06-2017, 05:24 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
What's wrong with it?
We might be able to talk you through it?
Tow bill depends on/by the area you are in?
It might be cheaper in the long run to find a mobile mechanic to assess and fix in place.
At least save the tow bill?
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 07:39 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
What's wrong with it?
We might be able to talk you through it?
Tow bill depends on/by the area you are in?
It might be cheaper in the long run to find a mobile mechanic to assess and fix in place.
At least save the tow bill?
Thanks for replying. I already had it towed. Cost $300 bucks! And it wasn't but a few miles away

The guy who towed it was nice enough to give me a jump and said he think its the battery because ithe terminals was coroded. He took brushed them off with a wire brother put them back on and jumped the bus... but.. it turned out to be the alternator.

So i guess i was driving on the battery the whole time.

How much would something like this cost to get fixed. I change an alternator on my 89 Buick regal a while back Is it as easy as or similar to replacing one on a car?
Old 08-06-2017, 07:41 PM   #5
Almost There

Year: 1999
Engine: DT466E Allison 3000
Rated Cap: 84 Kids/56 Adults
Just depends on its location on the engine and your skill set. Shouldn't be too hard

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 08-06-2017, 09:43 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

should be as easy as on buick . however dont know make of bus. if chevy gas engine is very easy not to mention very cheap alternators
Old 08-07-2017, 12:26 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 97
Coachwork: Moi
Engine: 444e...7.3L
Rated Cap: 36
An alternator is easy. Not especially cheap....but you could take it to an alternator place and get it rebuilt. Don't forget to take a pic of the belt so you know how it goes. Next time turn your headlines on after you fire up. If your voltage drops...especially when u turn signal(big back and forth on the guage) your alternator is pooched.
rock649 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 01:12 AM   #8
Skoolie

If you provide some info on your bus and engine, or even just a picture of the engine bay if you are unsure. Any number of us gear heads could walk you through what you need to do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 08-07-2017, 02:04 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Thanks guys! Actually i came across a guy at a truck stop that s going to help me get the part and replace it. Pretty sure i could do it myself but i dont have time or transportation to get around in the Louisiana area I'm in. Already called in work for 2 days. Wish it was in Houston where im headed. Would definitely try to fix it my self. Spoted the alternator, real easy to get to. Will post back soon...
Old 08-07-2017, 02:12 AM   #10
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by adic27 View Post
Thanks guys! Actually i came across a guy at a truck stop that s going to help me get the part and replace it. Pretty sure i could do it myself but i dont have time or transportation to get around in the Louisiana area I'm in. Already called in work for 2 days. Wish it was in Houston where im headed. Would definitely try to fix it my self. Spoted the alternator, real easy to get to. Will post back soon...
Cool, keep us updated!

Old 08-07-2017, 02:20 AM   #11
Bus Nut

Also, there is a truck repair shop right behind the truck stop that said it would be from $800 to $1200 to repair, 4 to $800 for part and 400 for labor

The guy thats gonna take me to get the alternator and help me swap it out said he would only charge me $125 and the part would only be maybe $250
Old 08-07-2017, 02:35 AM   #12
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by adic27 View Post
Also, there is a truck repair shop right behind the truck stop that said it would be from $800 to $1200 to repair, 4 to $800 for part and 400 for labor

The guy thats gonna take me to get the alternator and help me swap it out said he would only charge me $125 and the part would only be maybe $250
I would change alternators all day long if I got $100 a pop on my end. Good deal though, make sure to watch so you learn how to do it. Some alternator brackets are real booger to mess with lining up and squeezing in.

Old 08-07-2017, 02:57 AM   #13
Bus Nut

So $125 is kinda a lot? Another guy told me it shouldn't cost no more than $40 to $80 for labor
Old 08-07-2017, 04:45 AM   #14
Bus Crazy

still waiting for the kind of engine it has... that will determine alternator price, and some are easily fixed just by buying something like the regulator n changing that.......internal reg is like $12 part for normal gm alternator
Old 08-07-2017, 10:02 AM   #15
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Coachwork: integral
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
And this is why I bought a spare voltage regulator for my alternator - I was told that sometimes when alternators fail, it's actually only the regulator that's failed. For less than $15 it's cheap insurance.

I don't know how your alternator is located, but there's no way you should be paying for all that labor. My Leece-Neville 2800 has one mounting bolt and one belt tension bolt, and it could be easily R&Rd in less than 10 minutes. Does the pulley also need to be transferred from the old to the new alternator? If so, maybe that's what takes the time.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 12:16 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
I found this: "I have a 1998 International 3800 AmTran 71 Passenger. "

It's a start.

Found more! "I have a 1998 international amtran with a dt-466 allison "

Not easy trying to help folks.
Old 08-07-2017, 01:52 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
most shops charge a minimum 1 hour shop time regardless.. in a pro truck shop thats easily $125.

proper procedure says you disconnect the batteries, pull the old alternator, bench test it to make sure thats the problem. test the batteries (bad batteries can destroy an alternator).. then install and test the new alternator.. that is easily an hour in a shop..

the pulley typically is moved from the old to the new. sometimes with old alternators its necessary to cross reference and use a slifghtly different one due to availabilty of the original type. which often requires some altering of the connectors under the hood.

this is the commercial truck world.. its not cheap

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 04:22 AM   #18
Bus Nut

Got the alternator for 150 plus tax, about 170. Swapped it and smelled it burning shortly after like before so i turned the engine off. Took the batteries to autozone and one tested bad. Got it replaced and and didn't smell that burning smell any more plus the battery gauge was in the green but right at 12. I figured i solved the problem...

Drove from Lovington Louisiana through Baton Rouge for about 2 hours watching the battery gauge and it seems there is still a problem... the Guage since driving has gone into the middle of 10 and 12. I kept falling asleep so i pulled over and took a nap at a gas station.

Woke up pulled out going backwards and noticed a puddle but thought nothing of it since it had been raining. Drove for about 20 minutes or so and the oil/water light comes on with a constant beeping sound and the oil gauge was well below 50. I pull in to the nearest truck stop 2 miles ahead and look under the bus to see an oil leak and its all over under there. The oil level was at 50 the whole time and i had never seen a puddle where ever i parked before so i think this just happened recently.

Any advice on how to deal wit this? Jus wanna be in Houston already!
Old 08-08-2017, 07:35 AM   #19
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
you may have knocked an oil return line loose when you changed out your alternator.. depending on what all accessories you gave, some of them are requiring of oil lines.. and its easy to knock something loose.. I would fill it up with oil, start it and look for it..

also the oil gauge is not the oil level but the oil pressure.. if that drops down low and the oil light and alarm is ringing, shut the bus down right away.. you are risking running your bearings without oil and ruining the engine rather quickly..

if your DT466 is a DT-466E (has the computer on the side of it) then the loss of oil pressure will shut your engine down for you as the injection pressure runs out..

I know on at least one member's bus there was an oil line going to the alternator.. make sure you didnt accidentilly leave a line off going to the alternator.

it also sounds like you burned up the new alternator with the bad battery. or some other item that loaded it down. you can try returning it if you got it from a national chain.. and say this was defective..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 02:08 PM   #20
Bus Nut

Ran in to a guy at the truck stop i pulled into in iowa louisiana and that happened to have his own shop. He found out where the oil leak was and fixed it right there. Had to ask for a ride to get what was needed to do the job but eventually got it done. Had to ask someone to jump it a few times due to running off of the battery.

Had already called in work for 2 days so i had to get back to Houston so i caught a cab to the nearest hertz to get a rental car and almost wasn't able to get it. I left the key wit the mechanic because he offered to get the alternator checked and the batteries again. Turned out to be the alternator was missing a wire and wasn't charging the battery right because of this.

The mechanic called me and said the bus is running good now and the battery gauge is reading at 14 volts now!

Thanks to everyone who replied and tried to help!