Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2017, 04:08 PM   #21
Almost There

Year: 1983
Coachwork: International
Engine: 9L diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazty View Post
Could be that your power steering unit was not adjusted properly in the first place. That coupled with pushing too hard could have done you in. Once you get the unit repaired or replaced, make sure you follow the relief adjustment procedure.

Here's a video of how to do it with Sheppard systems. Looks to be the same for the one in my International, as well.

Thanks very helpful

CCousins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 04:17 PM   #22
Almost There

removed the seals (hardly even in place) pulled out the sealant, bearings look fine. Esp for what they actually achieve.

Annoyingly the end of the worm is damaged, possibly because of poor adjustment as mentioned earlier. Due to the slow speed and everything else, i will see how it fairs with rebuild, it can only get worse slowly over time, not catastrophically! (he says!) If i had the means of visiting local scrapyards, it would be a no brainier, but im having to weigh up cost and availability due to the location of where we live.
Its something that a driver will noticeably be able to tell over time if it gets worse.

removed the rack block and everything looks very good, teeth etc (no where near like some of the pictures ive seen floating about)
Regular oil changes probably playing a huge part in this.

A few beers later and its all boxed up ready for storage until i find a means of spare parts.

Cheers
Shaun
Old 01-21-2018, 11:52 AM   #23
Almost There

Went ahead and used some Liquid E metal from work (we use this on petroleum pumps etc) so figured will do the job.

Next measured up some new seals for the output shaft and bought 3 lip seals, fitted 2 in tandem against the oil and the last one facing outwards as a dust seal.

Grease packed the worm and BB feed and packed in the bearings.
Followed youtube for setting the input spine and doing it up until it feels good, over tightening it locks up the worm drive.

Didn't change any other components or seals, figured they looked okay and would go again. Gave it an optimistic coat of paint hoping to not take it off.

Unfortunately during commissioning the gearbox and bleeding it, it failed on its first drive.

1) with the output shaft disconnected, i filled the reservoir, i then turned the steering wheel left and right and the oil level dropped.

2) topped up again and there was a bold on the gearbox which i unscrewed slightly and repeated above step, then oil starting to come out of it.
I done it back up

3) I then turned engine on and topped oil up and moved the wheel left and right about 10 times. The end caps were pushing out retrospectively each direction with no leaks, the output shaft also no leaks.

4)i worked out the position of the steering wheels and the rotations of the gearbox and set the middle with the now straight wheels.

5) i figured this would be okay now for a yard drive, so i connected the output shaft and connecting arm, however with the engine running it felt stiff
(like it wasn't working at all) i moved forward and tried to move the wheel, my cousin said that it burst oil out from the input seal as i started to move forward and try to turn!

Does anyone know how its managed to pop the seal out of that end? It feels like its 'dead heading' and blocked hydraulically.

Thanks again chaps!
Old 02-16-2018, 03:23 PM   #24
Almost There

For a closure of this post i forgot to mention, the deadheading was right, i had accidentally re-installed the gearbox pressure valve 90 degrees out, so it didn't have a path to travel the holes and ports didn't line up! The next stop was the seal! Silly miss-calculation on my behalf.

I rebuilt with new seals and bled the system, however the wear marks on the plated output shaft were too much for the seals and they leaked too much. despite having 2 seals in series.

However the system did bleed and appear to work okay for 5/minutes before i stopped it to save the pump running dry.

rebuilt gearbox on order from the states! can't wait for stinky UK import tax to take a nice slice...
Old 02-16-2018, 03:41 PM   #25
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/Allison
Rated Cap: 74
Even though you are in the U.K. I am glad you decided to order a reman gear before you continued on and hurt yourself or someone else.
Old 02-16-2018, 03:49 PM   #26
Almost There

Yeah i agree with you 100%, i hope i didn't come across stupid or ignorant, i had no intentions of wanting or having a machine with any potential danger attached, been having many discussions with people behind this forum more for getting down to the route cause of it.
Im one of these people who like to find out whats causing the issue before i simply replace or properly fix it and it happens again.
Also i needed reliable, and i knew a scored shaft wouldn't prove worthy of that, be it 2minutes or 2 months down the road. If the seals and everything did work and fix it, i was going to get the shaft machined and sleeved at work, but couldn't be bothered in the end when i realized $600 was the cost, it was a no brainer!
Old 04-19-2018, 03:45 PM   #27
Almost There

Just to conclude with anyone and end this post.

Have installed the new refurbished gearbox we had shipped over from you guys over in the states, bled it this weekend, so far so good!

Have also found the bump stops under the bus and unscrewed them another 10mm (excessive i know) but if it means me having to turn the wheel 2 more turns to do a park and save the gearbox, so be it!

Fingers crossed this lasts!

Thanks again. CC
Old 01-22-2023, 10:13 AM   #28

Olá, estou no Brasil, e estou com 3 tampas dessa em maos. Estava pesquisando e vi que voces estavam com dificuldade de localizar a tampa, apesar que ja faz anos das postagens de voces, mas caso precisem, tenho 3.

meu whatsapp é +55 11 985222506 Kelvyn .

Muito obrigado a todos
kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 10:22 AM   #29
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvyn View Post
Olá, estou no Brasil, e estou com 3 tampas dessa em maos. Estava pesquisando e vi que voces estavam com dificuldade de localizar a tampa, apesar que ja faz anos das postagens de voces, mas caso precisem, tenho 3.

meu whatsapp é +55 11 985222506 Kelvyn .

Muito obrigado a todos
[via google translate]I was researching and I saw that you were having difficulty locating the cover, although it's been years since your posts, but in case you need it, I have 3.
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cracked, gearbox, steering