Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2018, 04:22 PM   #21
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamnitAddie View Post
No water, just air and then fuel. I'll keep priming and see if I get air else where.
You might want to check all the wiring to the engine...glow plugs...sensors...etc...

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk

Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 04:28 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: AmTran RE
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgsfanasty View Post
You might want to check all the wiring to the engine...glow plugs...sensors...etc...

Yeah I checked most everything on the passenger side of the bus where the fuel filter is. Need to get the other bay door open on the drivers side and do the same. Even though none of the relays said they were British, I tapped on each of them, just in case.
DamnitAddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 04:30 PM   #23
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Quote:
No water, just air and then fuel. I'll keep priming and see if I get air else where.
Yes, do that after up to the injection pump and beyond as it is a loop back to the tank.
Don't give up you'll win.
John
Old 01-24-2018, 04:35 PM   #24
Bus Nut

Quote:
Yeah I checked most everything on the passenger side of the bus where the fuel filter is. Need to get the other bay door open on the drivers side and do the same. Even though none of the relays said they were British, I tapped on each of them, just in case.
Idk if YT would be helpful or discouraging but you might wanna search for your engine...the 444, for example has a nasty bird's nest of wiring right on top of the engine...

Old 02-10-2018, 09:16 PM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

So I thought I would update. A snow storm, an ice storm, a bunch of rain and a lot of work has kept me from doing much.

However, I've messed with the bus a bit in the last couple days and it's def some sort of fuel problem. I have put a total of 10 gallons of diesel in the tank and I'm indicating on the high side of midway between 1/4 and 1/2 on the gauge.

I have primed and primed and primed and don't seem to be getting anywhere. All I get from the fuel/water separator is fuel. No more air, no water. I disconnected the return line at the back of the block and placed a bit of vacuum against it as I primed, but all I got was maybe an ounce of fuel total. It was dry when I pulled it loose.

Last thing I did tonight was pull loose the filter strainer, directly under the primer button. The screen was dirty but not clogged. I rinsed it with water and then used compressed air to get the particulate out of it. I put it back on, empty and used the primer button a few dozen times and opened it back up. Still dry.

So I went ahead and ordered a new water separator from amazon because they were the cheapest. NAPA has the secondary filter in stock for the same price. I will pick that up and replace that. I will get another 5 gallons of diesel, since I'll need to pre-fill the filters... Whatever is left over will go in the tank.

Frustrating, because as I was messing with it the other day, I had a visit from the zoning enforcement officer. I guess one of the neighbors called to complain about my unsightly vehicle. He claims that local city law prohibits the parking of a vehicle over 25' in my driveway. He's given me 30 days to get it moved. I read the local zoning restrictions prior to buying the bus, and have reviewed them again, and I can't find it... he couldn't cite a code number, so i'm waiting on the official letter. It's always something.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:29 AM   #26
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
So I thought I would update. A snow storm, an ice storm, a bunch of rain and a lot of work has kept me from doing much.

However, I've messed with the bus a bit in the last couple days and it's def some sort of fuel problem. I have put a total of 10 gallons of diesel in the tank and I'm indicating on the high side of midway between 1/4 and 1/2 on the gauge.

I have primed and primed and primed and don't seem to be getting anywhere. All I get from the fuel/water separator is fuel. No more air, no water. I disconnected the return line at the back of the block and placed a bit of vacuum against it as I primed, but all I got was maybe an ounce of fuel total. It was dry when I pulled it loose.

Last thing I did tonight was pull loose the filter strainer, directly under the primer button. The screen was dirty but not clogged. I rinsed it with water and then used compressed air to get the particulate out of it. I put it back on, empty and used the primer button a few dozen times and opened it back up. Still dry.

Check your fuel lines if you are loosing prime. They probably have swollen on the ends and cracked at the bends (Like me in the A.M.).

Diesel (bio) additives destroy the rubber. I replaced all my lines with hydraulic hose, didn't cost much more and it uses JIC -AN fittings like aircraft. Those barb fittings suck- air.

I don't know your motor, but on mine the lift pump was on engine- stupid design, pumps like to push, not suck. I relocated by fuel tank and upgraded to AirDog Raptor. Starts with a bump now- even after weeks of sitting.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 11:25 AM   #27
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Not familiar with your engine but here's an issue common to Cummins. They have a fuel solenoid that opens and closes the supply to the injectors. If the solenoid goes south, fuel will pump be diverted to the return line instead of going to the motor. I completely removed mine to avoid that (fairly common) problem and replaced the whole mechanism with a simple push/pull rod to turn the fuel supply on and off.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 06:35 PM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Check your fuel lines if you are loosing prime. They probably have swollen on the ends and cracked at the bends (Like me in the A.M.).

Diesel (bio) additives destroy the rubber. I replaced all my lines with hydraulic hose, didn't cost much more and it uses JIC -AN fittings like aircraft. Those barb fittings suck- air.

I don't know your motor, but on mine the lift pump was on engine- stupid design, pumps like to push, not suck. I relocated by fuel tank and upgraded to AirDog Raptor. Starts with a bump now- even after weeks of sitting.
Not losing prime so much as I believe I ran it out of fuel, sitting in the driveway.

The lift pump does appear to be mechanical and attached to the engine.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:37 PM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Not familiar with your engine but here's an issue common to Cummins. They have a fuel solenoid that opens and closes the supply to the injectors. If the solenoid goes south, fuel will pump be diverted to the return line instead of going to the motor. I completely removed mine to avoid that (fairly common) problem and replaced the whole mechanism with a simple push/pull rod to turn the fuel supply on and off.
I'm actually not getting anything (other than a couple drips and dribbles) from the return, even when applying a small amount of vacuum to the return while priming it.

New filters installed, still not able to get it running.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:22 PM   #30
Bus Nut

Quote:
I'm actually not getting anything (other than a couple drips and dribbles) from the return, even when applying a small amount of vacuum to the return while priming it.

New filters installed, still not able to get it running.
If it's not a mechanical pump then it's probably electrical...Idk about buses but most electrical pumps are in the tank...is there any small plates in the floor of your bus? Good luck