Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2019, 03:14 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: GA39530
Engine: DT466E 215hp 620tq
Rated Cap: 40
Cruise Control Issue 2000 FE DT466E MD3060

Greetings fellow Bus geeks
I have a bit of an issue with my bus. It has a DT466E and an MD3060 5 speed.
I cant seam to get the cruise to work.

I have a copy of J1708 ServiceMaxx and a Cummins Inline 6 adapter. I have been able to read fault codes, clear fault codes, change parameters, and verify that the cruise buttons are being read by the ECM correctly. I can view their status in servicemaxx and verify when i push the on and off button, when I use the set and decel button. I have a brand new throttle sensor due to a previous issue with the old one, I have verified that the new pedal works properly, I have also verified that the brake light switch is working properly too.

I can idle up using the cruise control switches and cut out the high idel with the brake pedal, but for some reason I cant get the cruise to work.

I made sue I selected the correct parameter and uploaded the change to the ECM correctly and got a positive confirmation from servicemaxx.

Any Ideas?

FamilyCircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 07:10 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC/AMTRANS RE
Engine: T444E 7.3 w/ MD3060
Rated Cap: 36000lbs / 78pass / 39'
A MD3060 is actually a 6 speed, the TCM has 6th gear locked out. There are threads about having them unlocked, best option is to pay a 3rd party to do it, you won't get Allison to do it without the bus chassis mfg giving you a written authorization to do it and that's a big hassle generally. IC/Amtran won't give them on buses older than 02 from what I've heard.

As for your actual question, I can't answer but there is a feller on here Chris/Cadalickid and he will be able to answer it easy I betcha.
If you would like to check out my website that has all sort of information especially for the T444E/7.3PSD engines check out www.PatrickTheSalvageGuy.com I've got helpful downloads and articles as well as a link to my YT for other how to videos mainly on the F series trucks.
PatrickBaptist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 09:49 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

1. Using servicemaxx, make sure ecm parameter 7600_ is set to enable cruise cont.
2. Abs and trans faults can inhibit cruise and stationary eng ramp. Since stationary eng ramp is working, look for faults that ocurr while driving and resole those faults.
3. Certain signal status can inhibit cruise and stationary eng ramp. Make sure you have the correct signals for clutch switch/driveline disengagement signal, service brake, and park brake while driving.
More Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 09:34 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
More-power has it right.. any code related to the brake pedal switch (there are 2 switches and either one will disable cruise for the whole key cycle and set a code)..

setting cruise mode to enable in servicemaxx.. also check the minimum and maximum cruise enable speeds.. I forget the parameter numbers.. I usually just go to the 'P' and then search for cruise...

im guessing your issue is a setting as the High idle functions are also disabled with brake switch faults...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 04:36 PM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: GA39530
Engine: DT466E 215hp 620tq
Rated Cap: 40
I will check these items

Thank you folks for the ideas, I will check these items and see what I come up with. Ill report back so we can learn from the issue.
FamilyCircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 06:47 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: International Amtran RE
Engine: DT466E/MD3060
Rated Cap: 78
I had something similar to what you are experiencing but my issue ended up being a brake switch. I could NOT idle up with the cruise though. Double check your brake switch just to be sure. I hope its your problem.

I have added info to one of those posts concerning 6th gear unlock if your interested. Here is a link to that post

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f10/al...ial-21661.html
bapos is offline   Reply With Quote