Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2016, 09:53 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3
Does the t444e ECM get feedback on gear selection?

I have an issue with my 99 3800 with a 545. The throttle control goes away when its pulled into gear. Reverse or drive. I can free rev all I want in N but as soon as I pull into gear there is no response from the throttle until it starts to move. Once I get moving I have control again, couldn't even get out of the ruts in the yard from sinking, had to give it a tug to move. Any help?

Paperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 12:11 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I can look in my computer and see but I think the only feedback the ECM gets is the brake switch.. that goes in to disable the throttle lock and cruise control.. I dont remember seeing the parameters in the computer readout for gear selection..

if you dump it into gear how high revs will you get? putting an AT545 in ruts is a sure way to be stuck... the 545s arent great for stop-start as their line pressure is Low until you get good revs into them..
free rev takes no power to do.. do you get a WARN light?
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 12:18 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

No light, scanning the ECM I show no codes and good HP oil#'s. When pulled into gear all I get is idle. It does seem to load up the engine a bit but that is without touching the throttle pedal. I am sure if I was on a slight incline on pavement it would go nowhere. With 175 HP it should move, and by ruts I am talking about the 1-2.5" deep ones from the yard settling under the weight of the bus as it sits for a few days. Ill get some video of whats going on.
Old 12-12-2016, 01:10 PM   #4
Bus Geek

what are you scanning with? servicemaxx?
-Christopher
Old 12-12-2016, 01:58 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Gemini scan tool we have in the shop. Not able to program just grab data/read codes. We can do functional test, just no uploads.
Old 12-12-2016, 04:41 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Old 12-12-2016, 08:05 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
International 4700 DT444E - Truck Repair Advice
Old 12-12-2016, 08:47 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Throttle works fine after moving and when in neutral. On when first in gear. One other strange point is when I take it out of gear it revs to 1200 or so before coming back to normal idle. Could the converter be loading the engine making it act up??
Old 12-13-2016, 07:39 AM   #9
Bus Geek

its for sure an AT545? when you go into your can tool does it show the transmission type as AT / MT? if it thinks theres an allison 2000 in there it very may cause issues.. ie someone changed the ECM before you got the bus?

if the trans type is AT/MT it assumes the transmission is standalone and not going to be on the CAN.. otherwise the ECM may be looking for feedback from the trans.

your scan tool should be able to show you when you nail the throttle in gear if your TPS shows its being depressed and also if the engine load factor is running up..

if your converter bearings are going out and truly loading up on the engine you should get a high load % and show the ICP demand going way up as well.

if you are using the NEXIQ tool you can download the IHC servicemaxx J1708 software for free and that shows all the parameters real-time. servicemaxx can use other hardware interfaces as well.. it may work with yours..

-Christopher
Old 12-13-2016, 11:16 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

yes its a 545. This scanner does not give % of engine load. I have not checked the TPS signal as I know it works in neutral (and while driving), how would that change when pulled into gear at a standstill?
Old 12-13-2016, 11:26 AM   #11
Bus Geek

it shouldnt but if theres an electrical short somewhere causing an issue you would be able to see if the TPS is still registering to the ECM..

the ServiceMaxx software tells you lots about the ECM.. it may work with your hardware and allow you to also see if the ECM matches the VIN.. again if the ECM is from another bus (replaced from a wreck).. that mightve been a later model. one that had an allison 2000 in it.. then the ECM very much would be looking for a signal fro mthe trans as the 2000 allisons are not run standalone with a T-444E / DT-466E.. its not uncommon for someone to swap the ECM from a slightly later model into an aloder bus as the ECM handled the engine 'rating'.. meaning the Horsepower could be increased on the DLC engines through the computer.. IHC is real reluctant to re-rate them to the highest setting in school busses.. so people would yank ECM's off of wrecked 4700 series trucks..(so they may then have a 210 or 215 HP engine instead of a 190 HP.. well that other truck may have had an electronic transmission...

I havent tried brake torqueing my Bus.. but I do know that the ECM takes in an input fro mthe Brake switch... maybe that is sticking? and causing the ECM to think you have the brakes on therefore in your software version not allowing it to take-on any power?

thats where the engine load and TPS input come into play.. if you see the TPS still going up to 100% but the HPOP request and engine load are still at idle you can bet theres another inut somewhere that the ECM doesnt like ..

if the TPS fails to register then you could bet theres likely an electrical issue around the pedal connectors as the ECM never sees you mash the pedal..

-Christopher